Motoring Discussion > Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 16

Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - Mike H
In case anyone here is running their winter tyres in the summer to make the most of the remaining tread, the use of winter-specific tyres (not all season) is prohibited in Italy from 14th October under new regulations.

Another snippet of useless information that might save someone a euro or two :-)
 Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - Runfer D'Hills
What is the Spring changeover date? I presume the Autumn one is concurrent with the date of the regulation change?
 Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - ....
>> ...the use of winter-specific tyres (not all season) is prohibited
>> in Italy from 14th October under new regulations.
>>
The way I read that is from 14th October I have to put summer tyres on. Sounds like the Italy I know and love.
 Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - Biggles
The change in law relates more to the speed index of the tyres which mustn't be lower than that in the log book (even though the speed restrictions in Italy should largely make this an irrelevant issue).
In the UK, if your car comes with Y rated tyres and you can buy H rated tyres in the same size, (all other parameters including load index remain the same only the speed rating differs) what possible objection could your insurance company have?

An H rated tyre is good for 130mph, when was the last time you got remotely close to that on your daily commute? A T would be more than adequate if average speed cameras are rolled out. Think of the savings...
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 12 Jun 14 at 08:06
>> In the UK, if your car comes with Y rated tyres and you can buy
>> H rated tyres in the same size, (all other parameters including load index remain the
>> same only the speed rating differs) what possible objection could your insurance company have?
>>
>> An H rated tyre is good for 130mph, when was the last time you got
>> remotely close to that on your daily commute? A T would be more than adequate
>> if average speed cameras are rolled out. Think of the savings...
>>
Things are slightly different here in Austria, not sure about the rest of Europe. Registration documents specify the speed and load rating tyres, as well as precise sizes, that the manufacturer has approved. Failure to comply would, I assume, render the owner liable to a fine, and potentially insurance issues. I assume also that the use of a higher speed rating than specified would be considered OK. My Saab is rated for extra load W-rated tyres which while not cheap, are more common now in the 225/45 17" size.

So in the case you mention, as long as the manufacturer had specified H rated tyres, it shouldn't be a problem either here or there.
>> The way I read that is from 14th October I have to put summer tyres
>> on. Sounds like the Italy I know and love.
>>
Lol, well, I made a simple translation error (I read it in German from my motoring club mag!), and also didn't read the full online article. Red faced smiley due here ;-)

Biggles is right, it only relates to certain speed ratings, and is effective between 16th May and 14th October.

Essentially, in this period, winter and all-season tyres must be of a speed rating equal to, or higher than, the manufacturer-specified speed rating. In the winter months, the tyres can be lower (but no lower than Q rating) as long as a clearly-visible speed restriction sign is shown inside the vehicle. An exception to this are caravans and motor caravans, which can be of any speed rating as long as they meet or exceed the manufacturers specifications.

Think that's right now - here's the original article in German tinyurl.com/pkl3lm2
 Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - Boxsterboy
On the subject of winter/all-season tyres I drove a Peugeot 2008 in Ibiza recently. It had all season tyres as part of its electronic ESP faux-by-four set-up.

I very much doubt they ever get ice or snow in Ibiza, but the traction on the unmade tracks was good!
 Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - Shiny
Speed rating of a tyre has nothing much to do with the speed of the vehicle it is fitted to. It is a laboratory test specification.
What I'm questioning is if the manufacturer states a maximum speed of my car is 137mph is it not reasonable to think a V rated tyre which is supposedly good for 149mph would do the job?

If the speed in the lab is anything like the mpg figures obtained in the lab 70mph might be too much.
Haha. It's good to laugh about the things Mike H, I've got many translations wrong.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 12 Jun 14 at 20:20
>> Haha. It's good to laugh about the things Mike H, I've got many translations wrong.
>>
One of the local websites here in Austria for a company that runs boat trips round a lake has an English version as well as German. The English version explains that you are not allowed to take large pastries on board - someone confused the word "Gepaeck" (meaning luggage) with "Gebaeck" (meaning pastries)..... :-)
 Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - Bromptonaut
>> Haha. It's good to laugh about the things Mike H, I've got many translations wrong.

The French use the term 'garage mort' for the service of storing an unoccupied touring caravan.

One site in Alsace, amongst several other howlers in their English T&C poster, translates this as death garage.
 Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - Boxsterboy
Best place for touring caravans!
 Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - Alanovich
If the garage in question is at the bottom of Lake Baikal.
 Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - zookeeper
phew i thought i was being a bit naughty as im running on winter tyres
 Law change in Italy re winter tyres in summer - zookeeper
on the civic not the berlingo i might add
Latest Forum Posts