Motoring Discussion > Volvo S40 - EGR valve for a D5? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 8

Volvo S40 - EGR valve for a D5? - Auntie Lockbrakes
My mother has hardly driven anywhere since my Father died 5 months ago. Their car - a 2006 S40 D5 auto with 75000 miles - has cost her a fair whack since with routine servicing and brakes.

And now: it looks like a gummed-up EGR valve. Her indy has had a go at cleaning it, and she drove around at high revs for a week to try to dissolve any crud, but to no avail.

No loss in performance though - can she expect the problem to get worse soon?

Any idea what a new part would cost? Is it the kind of job where a main dealer might be able to get close or match indy prices? (Ref. cambelt threads).
 Volvo S40 - EGR valve for a D5? - ....
What makes you think it's a gummed up EGR valve?

Is it throwing out error messages ? Has she had the codes read ?

You can throw an awful lot of money at these without resolution if you don't know what it is you are looking for. I'd check for stored errors before I started throwing money at it.

I've no idea about the Euro IV D5, the Euro III was a simple affair with a plenum chamber which could be whipped off and cleaned in a few minutes. The Euro V is a life form from another planet.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 21 Jun 14 at 14:04
Fair comment. She's going on what her regular indy who services the car tells her. But she's going to get a second opinion from a different indy this week, who says he will read the fault code(s).

I'm over in the UK visiting her in 10 days' time so am hoping to get this sorted one way or another...
 Volvo S40 - EGR valve for a D5? - Duncan
>> I'm over in the UK visiting her in 10 days' time so am hoping to
>> get this sorted one way or another...
>>

I think you should be ok.

As long as you speak slowly and don't mention the rugby.
 Volvo S40 - EGR valve for a D5? - bathtub tom
Or pretend you're South African - difficult not to with NZ accent.
 Volvo S40 - EGR valve for a D5? - Avant
Can she afford to flog it and get something newer, smaller, petrol-powered and Japanese? It might be an idea if she's throwing money after this ageing diesel.
Nice idea Avant, but a non-starter. She loves the car etc. and in any case undertakers' and legal bills have put a bit of a strain on finances these past few months.

But the car's in good nick; who's to say it hasn't got another good 5 years of life in it once this problem is fixed?
 Volvo S40 - EGR valve for a D5? - rtj70
I had two EGR valves go on a Mondeo TDCI. One stuck open and the other stuck shut. When stuck open it produced a lot of exhaust gas smoke - well it would. When I had the replacement fail, the car just ground to a halt after faltering for a bit and the car made a sort of quacking noise when I tried to restart. The RAC chap hadn't heard it before - towed home and then to garage the next day. Problem was EGR so I assume it was stuck shut...???

I assume it was stuck shut because when stuck open they just produce a lot of smoke.
 Volvo S40 - EGR valve for a D5? - Gromit
"who's to say it hasn't got another good 5 years of life in it once this problem is fixed?"

Unfortunately, its unlikely to on a life of short runs from cold. Exactly the conditions modern diesels don't like.

Mind, I can fully understand your mum not wanting to part with the car. Running cost aside, its a link with your late dad. My mother doesn't drive, so had me sell Dad's car after he died. Then she almost bought it back, because she missed having it in the garage - even though it would have only rotted away slowly there...

If it turns out a change of car is the best solution, might the suggestion be better received from her indy than from you? Practically speaking, shouldn't she be able to change into a similar age/mileage small petrol auto for what she'd get on the sale of a diesel auto Volvo?
Latest Forum Posts