Motoring Discussion > Audi tragedy. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 79

Audi tragedy. - Ted

What is it with drivers of black Audis ? Not aimed at all of them, of course, but a large proportion of the tailgaters I get pestered with around the city seem to be these cars.

Now, the NorthWest media has reported two of them, both black, an S3 and an RS3 colliding on the A580, East Lancashire Road at some speed and ploughing into a Corsa, killing both it's occupants...a young man and woman around 20 yrs old.

Witnesses suggest the two Audis were racing. The A580 is a straight, 2 lane each way dual carriageway and very tempting for some to unleash the horses.

Both drivers were injured and arrested for dangerous driving.......I hope, if convicted, they get some considerable bird.

What a waste of two kid's lives...what a tragedy for their folks !
 Audi tragedy. - VxFan
>> Now, the NorthWest media has reported two of them

This do for ya?

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/a580-east-lancs-crash-salford-7307863

Audi tragedy. - PhilW
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/a580-east-lancs-crash-salford-7307863

Oh dear

Must have been one heck of am impact - is that the engine of a car in the middle of the road?
 Audi tragedy. - No FM2R
>>.I hope, if convicted, they get some considerable bird.

I hope they get some penalty which will really impact, without destroying, their lives. (What is the point in more destruction?).

I hope its something which in some small way pays something back for the damage that they have done.

I hope its something which makes the families of the victims feel that justice has been done, as far as it can be.

I hope it is something which has a profound impact upon the thought processes of the offenders.

I just can't see that prison achieves those things.
 Audi tragedy. - MD
Start with a lifetime driving ban without access to any benefits either. I concur with Horace regarding the Audi thing. An Audi without indicators, a baseball cap and the driver appears to become something akin to the bodily part that one defecates from.

Just don't get me started on the ruddy Holiday makers up here who cannot, or will not reverse even if they have just passed a passing place and expect others to travel 100 + yards to let them through only to be totally ignored. We'll be glad when they've all gone home.

Morning all.......
 Audi tragedy. - Pat
Thanks MD, you've made me feel very welcome as a visitor...

Pat
 Audi tragedy. - Shiny
I don't see why people concentrate on the car model or colour, it dehumanises the wrongdoing. It's like saying blaming satin black Glock 17s for shootings.
Last edited by: Shiny Tailpipes on Tue 24 Jun 14 at 09:40
 Audi tragedy. - MD
I am quite convinced Madam that you have far better manners than the average motorist and have driving ability beyond most. You are hereby excluded from the former tirade.

Love and Hugs.......Grumpy.
 Audi tragedy. - Pat
Much appreciated Grumpy:)

Almost got to your part of this wonderful tourist area on Monday but I didn't see anyone I thought may be you....We spent the day canoeing on Roadford lake near Launceston:)

Pat
 Audi tragedy. - MD
Hello Pat, where are you and Ian staying and for how long? We are currently working in Mortehoe right on the coast. Now that's a lovely spot for sure. Not too overcrowded at the moment and at least one decent pub in the village.

Regards, MD
 Audi tragedy. - Pat
We're here MD

www.looebaycaravans.co.uk/webcam2.htm

Centre front and you can just see the back of the van and awning.

Next year we will be coming up to Tamar lake canoeing again so maybe can meet up then?

Our instructor tells us Tamar Lake is smaller than Roadford and I found it a bit scary going across such a wide expanse of water knowing I can't swim, so maybe a smaller stretch next year!

Pat
 Audi tragedy. - MD
>> We're here MD
>>
>> www.looebaycaravans.co.uk/webcam2.htm
>>
>> Centre front and you can just see the back of the van and awning.

I can just about make it out but the quality of the pic is quite poor. Didn't you stay there last year or was it the one before? Looe is lovely. It's been a few years since the Boss and I stayed there.

Are you off home soon? If so you've timed it well as the weather seems to be going to take a turn for the worse. Rain from tomorrow. The Farmers here are hurriedly getting the last of the baling done.
>>
>> Next year we will be coming up to Tamar lake canoeing again so maybe can
>> meet up then?

Yes that would be great. I'll buy you both a Lunchtime Beer or a Lemonade.

Take care.............MD

Audi tragedy. - Pat
We stay here every year MD, it's a view to die for and an ideal base to explore both Cornwall and Devon.

We've been here since last Friday and are going home on Monday, but leaving the caravan here for family and coming back down the following weekend to collect it.

We're collecting the Fiesta from Westpig on the way home though!

Pat
 Audi tragedy. - MD
>> We stay here every year MD, it's a view to die for and an ideal
>> base to explore both Cornwall and Devon.
>>
>> Pat
>>
Heavy rain from 13.00 hrs according to my reckoning. The roads I guess will be very greasy after all the dry weeks we've had. Have a safe journey home.
 Audi tragedy. - Alanovich
Here's a holiday maker you'll approve of, MD:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28010432

Tractor and a shed on wheels. Double bubble.
 Audi tragedy. - Mapmaker
>>I hope they get some penalty which will really impact, without destroying, their lives. (What
>>is the point in more destruction?).

Deterrence for others. But I agree with the rest of your statement. And I'm glad I'm not a magistrate, or a judge, or the Home Secretary so that I'm not the one who has to make that call.

Audi tragedy. - Haywain
Yes, it was a twerp in a black Audi (I think, an S4) who T-boned and wrote-off my son's motorbike.

A lifetime's ban would be appropriate in the case referred to by the OP.
 Audi tragedy. - PhilW
"a twerp in a black Audi"

Oddly enough, about an hour ago I was carved up on a roundabout and only avoided a collision by jamming on brakes by a young lady driving an Audi A4 changing lanes at some speed without using her mirrors (apparently) and definitely without using indicators.
On telling Mrs W about it she said :-
"Beware of young ladies driving - they always drive too fast and tailgate and if they are in an Audi stay well clear"
I'm pretty sure that she was referring to their driving rather than other things........
 Audi tragedy. - PhilW
PS - not being sexist - Mrs W is a brilliant driver!
 Audi tragedy. - Runfer D'Hills
Three stereotypes I am wary of, girls in small cars, blokes in white vans and anyone driving in a hat.

The first two are the most liable to tailgate or do something erratic and the third will usually do 40 mph in any circumstances whether it is painfully too slow or dangerously fast.

If any of the above have sticky out ears they will be particularly inept. Can't say why but check it out, I'm right.
 Audi tragedy. - borasport
I saw somebody driving a bright yellow cayman being driven by an elderly gent in a plaid patterned trilby at lunchtime - surely it couldn't have been our old friend and master from 'another place'? But surely, he wouldn't have a personal plate reading 'm1nja' ?
Is that a Ninja with a speech impediment?
Is it ninja or minger ?
I liken people who buy yellow cars to those who wear ties with Disney characters on or Mr Men socks.

They are probably thinking it makes them look interesting and alternative while actually making them look a bit of a drawer handle.
 Audi tragedy. - sooty123
Oh I don't know I think yellow can look good on some cars. I think they can suit small sports cars and yes look interesting and a bit different ;-)
 Audi tragedy. - PhilW
"yellow can look good on some cars"
Ferraris
 Audi tragedy. - Armel Coussine
Some colours look better than others on certain cars. When you're buying and have the bread or the time, and give a damn, you can specify your favourite shade of beige or metallic taupe.

But who really gives a damn? seems utterly moronic to me. The car's the thing.
 Audi tragedy. - sooty123
They can, I think lesser cars can look just as good, I think boxster and those Mk2 MX-5 look good.
 Audi tragedy. - Slidingpillar
Ferrari Gallio Fly was the colour of the Morgan 4/4 I had.
 Audi tragedy. - Fenlander
>>>personal plate reading 'm1nja' ?

The guy likes his bright colours...

www.numberplates.com/pr-number-plate-gallery.asp?page=234&category=hhisrpttyzyn
 Audi tragedy. - MD
>> Is that a Ninja with a speech impediment?
>>
It's a Peach insediment. Doncha no nuffink??
 Audi tragedy. - henry k
>>....... stereotypes I am wary of, ..........s and anyone driving in a hat
>>
If I wear a nice broad rimmed Panama will it deter tail gaters ?
 Audi tragedy. - ....
Get a car with tinted rear windows then you can choose whether to hat up or not.
You could stick some blu-tac behind your ears and wear a baseball cap back-to-front if you're feeling really vindictive.
Keep Humph on his toes :-)
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 24 Jun 14 at 22:12
Don't like yellow cars, or pink cars, or pale blue cars, or beige cars. Don't like pale green cars, turquoise cars or orange cars. Not keen on brown cars, although Mercedes do a funny kind of mud metallic which suits E Class estates for some reason and yesterday I followed a newish Mondeo estate in a sort swamp green metallic which looked really good.

But I really don't like yellow cars. Like wearing socks with sandals, it's possible to do and some people do it, but it's really not cool.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 24 Jun 14 at 22:12
 Audi tragedy. - sooty123
I'm going to have to disagree again RDH, I think orange suits the fast ford range. Perhaps a little OTT but burnt orange is the best colour for a used fast ford a couple of years old.
Ok fair enough, each to their own and all that.

But, indulge me a moment longer please. Try this, picture the coolest person you know ( or can think of )

Everyone would have a different take on who that might be of course but let's just lob in a few options, Daniel Craig, George Clooney maybe Bryan Ferry, anyway you get the point?

Now picture them saying, "I'll have the yellow one please, no wait a minute, I'll have the orange one"

Not going to happen is it?

;-)
 Audi tragedy. - ....
Be fair Humph, your choice of slim, suited and booted chaps are hardly going to be queuing up for a silver, black or fetching shade of metallic grey estate.

Imagine an E350CDi in hearing aid beige outside an airport or train station.
I have queued for a few of those !
 Audi tragedy. - rtj70
I'll be after one in a few weeks. How much will I be ripped off from Munich to near city centre I wonder? More than I pay here. My calculation/guess is £45.
 Audi tragedy. - ....
>> I'll be after one in a few weeks. How much will I be ripped off
>> from Munich to near city centre I wonder? More than I pay here. My calculation/guess
>> is £45.
>>
It's about a 25 mile run from the airport to the centre of Munich, depending on when you land the A9 can be a bottleneck.
Last time I used a taxi from the airport for that kind of distance was 4 years ago and I think it cost about 60€ so your £45 might be a little light.
I don't know where you are going and at what time, I usually use the S8 into Ost or Hauptbahnhof then jump onto the U-bahn network to get where I am going. It takes about the same time as driving. S1 will take you round anticlockwise if you need to get to the west side of Munich. A single is around 10€ or a day card is only slightly more and will do the return for you if your doing a one day hit.
 Audi tragedy. - Alanovich
>> Ok fair enough, each to their own and all that.
>> But, indulge me a moment longer please. Try this, picture the coolest person you know
>> ( or can think of )
>> Everyone would have a different take on who that might be of course but let's
>> just lob in a few options, Daniel Craig, George Clooney maybe Bryan Ferry, anyway you
>> get the point?
>> Now picture them saying, "I'll have the yellow one please, no wait a minute, I'll
>> have the orange one"
>> Not going to happen is it?

Those most concerned with being cool seem to me the least cool people imaginable. Real coolness is not giving a stuff and not worrying what everyone else thinks of you. Fashionable clothing doesn't com in to it.

Clooney, Ferry and those with that sort of look seem rather sleazy to me. Danny Baker would call them Yacht Rockers. Deck shoes and no socks. Linen suits. Too much Huey Lewis and the News in the CD collection. Boden folks. Wannabes. Often seen in small Thameside towns in my area.
 Audi tragedy. - sooty123
>>
>> Not going to happen is it?
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Well perhaps they wouldn't buy a fast ford. Being style icons/cool I doubt they would say;

'ahh middling grey for me please, ...oh actually can I have a nice dull black instead.'

;-)

Just for the record I like blue cars. Goes with everything and on every type of car.
I like dark blue cars too, not had one for a while though. Don't like pale blue cars or any other wishy washy colours for that matter.
Erm, do you keep your straw Panama on the parcel shelf of the Jag Henry?
 Audi tragedy. - henry k
>> Erm, do you keep your straw Panama on the parcel shelf of the Jag Henry?
>>
>>
Only my spare one :-)

p.s. I no longer have my Jack Brabham BRG perforated Kangaroo driving gloves so perhaps I should revert to standard tan coloured mesh backed alternatives so my hand signals are clear.
 Audi tragedy. - legacylad
Pal of mine had a yellow Spitfire years ago. Mine was BRG, but I'm pretty certain a yellow Spitfim (as we called them) features on the front of the brochure, which I still have somewhere.
Sad but true.
 Audi tragedy. - madf
My Spitfire was in camo but I had to sell it as I could not afford the rebuild the Merlin engine needed...
 Audi tragedy. - Dave_
McLarens look OK in orange.

I transported a Lamborghini Diablo the other week - its reg was Y3LOW, as was the paintwork.
 Audi tragedy. - rtj70
>> transported a Lamborghini Diablo the other week - its reg was Y3LOW, as was the paintwork.

An older car then. Stopped making the Diablo 13 years ago didn't they?

And the owner can be forgiven for using 3 as an E but missing an L is bordering on illiterate :-) Well for someone with the money to run an old Diablo it is.
 Audi tragedy. - Fenlander
Y3LOW is quite well known it seems....

www.flickr.com/photos/darkblackcars/6042809904/

A 2001 6lit model... with VED less than my 525D.
 Audi tragedy. - ....
Of course for real class the owner would have gone for GIA110 and lost any reference to the cars age.
Maybe G14 LLO at a push.
 Audi tragedy. - IJWS14
I take exception to the sterotyping ;-)

my daughter is 30 and has 17 years accident free driving

she loves her small black turbocharged Audi.
Last edited by: IJWS14 on Fri 27 Jun 14 at 08:05
 Audi tragedy. - WillDeBeest
Must have been quite a 13th birthday. Beestling Major got a bike.
 Audi tragedy. - NortonES2
I got a stamp album @13 :(
I got drunk on my 13th. Too much a Woodpecker cider. Puked down the kitchen sink. Mater was not impressed.
 Audi tragedy. - scot22
Why does an OP relating to a tragedy descend into trivia ?
Years of practice
 Audi tragedy. - WillDeBeest
Because there's a limit to the discussion potential of unanimous po-faced disapproval?
 Audi tragedy. - No FM2R
Because farce would have been inappropriate?
Just think of this place as the day lounge in an old peoples home Scot. All becomes clear if you do.

;-)
Tragedy and trivia are often only a whisker apart.

Different people are affected by different things, different stories and images.

The OP incident is a tragedy in a way, there were innocent victims of idiot behaviour. But a banal tragedy. Things like that happen every day.
 Audi tragedy. - rtj70
This place as the regulars know is like being down the pub. Conversations meander all over the place. So you start talking about something like Audi's racing and you end up talking about something completely different.
 Audi tragedy. - scot22
If there is a limit to the discussion - simple stop.

'banal' Collins dictionary - trite, trivial ,petty , vulgar, commonplace. I think that is totally inappropriate.

The posts are really quite irrelevant and miss the point. I think I'll forgo the pleasure of reading the forum anymore - cue Loud cheers from those who revel in the shelter of anonymity.
Last edited by: scot22 on Sat 28 Jun 14 at 21:19
 Audi tragedy. - CGNorwich
And another one gone and another one bites the dust!
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 28 Jun 14 at 21:44
 Audi tragedy. - Focusless
...and he(?) was a newcomer, less than a year old.
 Audi tragedy. - rtj70
He didn't get how discussions have worked here - he's either right or wrong. Perhaps we need to change?

I can see how someone will think the thread started out about a tragedy and ending up on something totally different is wrong. And it probably is. And discussing where Pat has a caravan for the week or a yellow Lamborghini on the way. But that's how discussions have evolved here for over 4 years.

Discuss.... in a different thread.

It's like 6 degrees of separation how conversations evolve here.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 28 Jun 14 at 22:29
Oh dear. He thinks use of the word 'banal' is hard-hearted and dismissive.

A dictionary in the wrong hands can do more harm than good. Ah well.
 Audi tragedy. - Pat
He didn't manage to make any contribution to the OP despite having over 50 posts to do so.

Perhaps if he'd shared his opinion on the original topic we would all have seen it from a different angle and still been discussing it now.

Pat
 Audi tragedy. - MD
Is this the start of devolution?
 Audi tragedy. - BiggerBadderDave
The tragedy here, is that my old man pronounces it 'Ordi'
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Sun 29 Jun 14 at 14:12
 Audi tragedy. - ....
Which is how people with the Coelsch dialect pronounce it. Which is against the German phonetic which sounds Owdee
 Audi tragedy. - Manatee
>> The tragedy here, is that my old man pronounces it 'Ordi'

When my dad nearly bought one in 1966, even the dealers called them Ordis. I make a point of it myself when I remember.

How does he pronounce Braun? I seem to recall we were encouraged to say Brorn for a long time, maybe we still are. Even odder as the English version of that surname pronounced normally would do the job.

I suspect the marketers didn't actually want them to sound too German when the war was still a fairly fresh memory.

>> How does he pronounce Braun?

Like Tom Lehrer, I pronounce it so...

Gather round while I sing you of wernher von braun,
A man whose allegiance
Is ruled by expedience.
Call him a nazi, he won't even frown.
"ha, nazi schmazi," says wernher von braun.

Don't say that he's hypocritical,
Say rather that he's apolitical.

"once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?

Audi tragedy. - stan10
My dad pronounced it "Auto Union", i only tried to correct him once !
 Audi tragedy. - Avant
I think most people say Owdi as it's easy to say and the British are linguistically lazy. I suppose it's for that reason that the British make an attempt to pronounce Renault and Peugeot as the French do, but make no attempt to do the same with Citroën.
Some of these names are anglicized, some aren't. I say Owdy, Renno, Purgeo, Orto Younion and Sitrun. No one ever misunderstands me.

English people trying to say Renault like the French sound amazingly silly and awful and pretentious.
 Audi tragedy. - PhilW
"most people say Owdi as it's easy to say and the British are linguistically lazy."

Nah, it's because we want to pronounce it as the majority of Germans pronounce it to prove how multi-lingual we are to go with our multicultural society!
And when in France I suppose it should be Ohdi.
But we don't do the same with Folks - vagen and my Austrian friend always says he drives a Far -Vay. I thought he drove a Vee-double-you.
And a friend of mine drove a Mitsibushy the other day.
Mind you, lots of cars in Leicestershire also have windowscreens!
P
 Audi tragedy. - Avant
I've always said Folks-vaagen without trouble. How do you say it?

I did hear a variation - from the Australian salesman who sold me my first Golf estate (2001 I think). He called it a Fowks-waggon.
I just asked for a Golf GTi 16 falf at the dealership when I bought one. They understood that.
 Audi tragedy. - IJWS14
>> Must have been quite a 13th birthday. Beestling Major got a bike.
>>
My arithmetic - 13 years driving.
Latest Forum Posts