Motoring Discussion > Goodwood festival of speed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 16

Goodwood festival of speed - henry k
Visited it today - Motor show day.

The queue to get to the car park for no apparent reason was ~~~~~ awful.

Going from London, we easily turned off at Singleton and I commented that there was, from previous experience, a surprising lack of a queue.
When we reached the tail of the queue it took us about a hour from there to the car park.
Quite a few times we switched off the engine and went for a walk.
I have been before. The last time was all four days in 2012 and although we did join a longer queue it all moved along.

No idea what they have changed but they have screwed up.
So beware , if they have not improved then take survival kit.

Exiting the car park was bad until we went the opposite direction to the queue,(we went South) exited quickly and the enjoyed a pleasant rip three times round a square and back to Singleton with NO traffic.
 Goodwood festival of speed - Runfer D'Hills
Did you keep your hat on?
>> Did you keep your hat on?
>>
Of course I did , except when I greeted the fair sex or when dining.

As the XJS I was being driven in has no rear parcel shelf it stayed aloft.

Thanks for your concern.
 Goodwood festival of speed - Armel Coussine
It's just up the road from here and people keep saying, Why aren't you there?

I'd love to be, but only in the abstract. Queuing, walking, standing around, old-car people some of whom are ghastly, expensive filth to eat and drink, endless traffic jams... I just don't like going to things these days unless my arm is severely twisted. It's an age thing.
 Goodwood festival of speed - bathtub tom
This year they no longer have volunteer marshals, no doubt for elf 'n safety reasons, but 'trained' staff who are paid. Perhaps that's the reason for the delays?
 Goodwood festival of speed - PhilW
"I'd love to be, but only in the abstract. Queuing, walking, standing around, old-car people some of whom are ghastly, expensive filth to eat and drink, endless traffic jams.."

Then this is for you AC - live video from Goodwood. Finished for today (an Aston Martin spilt oil on hill after collision with flint wall) but starts again at 8.30 tomorrow morning

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/goodwood-festival-of-speed/10926447/Goodwood-Festival-of-Speed-2014-Watch-the-live-stream.html
P
 Goodwood festival of speed - spamcan61
>>
>> Exiting the car park was bad until we went the opposite direction to the queue,(we
>> went South) exited quickly and the enjoyed a pleasant rip three times round a square
>> and back to Singleton with NO traffic.
>>
Spamette Minor with her boyfriend plus Spamcan Junior went yesterday, somehow their route back from Chichester (ish) to Christchurch took 4 hours and involved a tour of Guildford!
 Goodwood festival of speed - Dave_
Well I'm picking up the boy from school in about an hour then heading 3 hours+ south to camp at Goodwood for the weekend. Hopefully the queue into the site won't be as bad as those on the M25 on the way there.
 Goodwood festival of speed - Runfer D'Hills
Morgan or Merc?
>> Hopefully the queue into the site won't be as bad as those on the M25 on the way there.
>>
I did smile at some new AA signs near the venue "Follow signs DO NOT USED SAT NAV"

For regulars who know that certain roads and accesses are closed it is no problem but for the those why think SAT NAV knows best... Oh dear!.

We made a fast exit from out car park which had been filled with folks approaching from the North. We went South to an exit then E, N, W within the estate area to rejoin ( at the race course grand stands) our wanted route back N. No traffic at all.

We did note a mobile camera car pointing at us on the way home.

p.s.I always ignore the initial signs to the festival that are on the A3 south of Guildford.
I carry on until the left turn to "Brook." A nice quiet run through the woods and then a right onto the normal route. I also return that way. Much quicker and , simpler.
 Goodwood festival of speed - BobbyG
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YhLtU-VEZk

no matter what happens, always remember to wear the sponsors baseball cap.....
 Goodwood festival of speed - swiss tony
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YhLtU-VEZk
>>
>> no matter what happens, always remember to wear the sponsors baseball cap.....
>>

If he had got off the brakes, he may just have made it...
 Goodwood festival of speed - PeterS
Just back from FOS. Another great day - fly past by the red arrows and the Vulcan were as show stoping as ever :-)

Weather far better than expected, and as ever a great range of cars from the new to old present. Great to see Chris Evans' cars in a clearly well used state :-)

I live only 5 miles away, if that, and accessed it from the south. No queues at all! Though I think today's threatened rain(which only appeared in the form of the lightest possible showers on a couple of occasions - no more than a few drops) spread the traffic out sufficiently to maintain a good flow
Hoy hay making

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzvzZyq9zoE
I can't help wondering how he managed to get it to understeer like that.

'She don't seem to be answering her helm right, Captain. And this close to a lee shore like... better call all hands... '
>> She don't seem to be answering her helm right, Captain

Swiss Tony seems to have it right, clumsy hard late braking. He must have done some practice laps surely? Not enough anyway. Sailors don't know their own strength, which tends to be higher than average. And they may not know that the more violent the car is, the gentler and more measured and progressive the driver's inputs need to be.

Going to cost someone a pretty penny even if the jalopy is still driveable.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 29 Jun 14 at 14:45
 Goodwood festival of speed - Slidingpillar
A decently set up car will both under and oversteer. Had he come off the brakes and given it a small amount of throttle it could have come round.
Latest Forum Posts