Motoring Discussion > Which 4x4 diesel automatic softroader: Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 11

Which 4x4 diesel automatic softroader: - Auntie Lockbrakes
It'll undoubtedly be bye-bye to the Beemer in our household before too long (see other thread).

Replacement must be diesel, automatic, and 4WD. Back of an envelope short-list is:

1) Kia Sportage
2) Mazda CX-5 (but heard bad stories about Mazda diesels?)
3) Mitsubishi Outlander
4) VW Tiguan (outsider)

Will plan to buy ex-demo or less than a year old, so probably looking at 2013/14 cars. Anyone out there own/drive any of the above, with opinions to share?

With thanks!
 Which 4x4 diesel automatic softroader: - Gromit
Going back to your other thread, the question was asked what reponse you'd want from the dealer, or BMW NZ, if you complained.

Perhaps the answer is: to swap the X3 for the newest of whichever of these they have in stock which you can have at lowest (preferably no) cost? After all, would you change the BMW if you weren't distrustful of it? If not, why should you be left much out of pocket on the change?
Fair comment Gromit. To be honest the wife never really liked the X3 anyway, (much preferred its 2006 predecessor) before this latest saga. And I see 2 scenarii:

1) Invest time and money in the miserable task of pursuing BMW to rectify the problems (bound to need a solicitor involved), threats, letter-writing,...etc.

2) Invest less time and less $$ on starting afresh with a reliable and honourable alternative car.

Either option is going to cost me money, the second option should be more pleasurable and quicker! And possibly not cost me too much anyway, as you infer.
 Which 4x4 diesel automatic softroader: - Runfer D'Hills
New Qashqai is supposed to be good. I had the "old" 2.0 diesel auto 4x4 Qashqai ( 2008 ) Tekna ( aka all the toys ) model. Couldn't fault it really other than being a bit thirsty. Never let me down in 80 odd thousand miles. New ones are bigger and more frugal apparently.

Don't know much about the cars on your short list I'm afraid.
 Which 4x4 diesel automatic softroader: - Manatee
Are you buying new?

Re the Outlander:

The pre-2012/13 version autos have the PSA 2.2 diesel with a twin clutch auto, which they called SST - 6sp I think. Although I would have preferred an auto, because I tow I did not want the twin clutch carry on, so I bought a manual which also (from 2010 I think) had the Mitsubishi 4N14 MIVEC diesel engine with 2268cc (they badge/call them all 2.2 DID regardless).

The later model from 12/13 have a 6 speed TC auto so if you are buying new shape then that is what you will get, in the UK market anyway.

The TC auto also now comes with the 4N14 instead of the PSA engine.

My 4N14 has 174bhp - on the newer model this has been reduced to 147bhp. Torque is strong at 380Nm (360 for the auto) from 1750-3500.

I was a little wary of the engine which was new to market when I bought mine in 2011, but I have had no problems so far (29,000 miles). Servicing is every 9,000 miles (PSA versions 12,000) probably because of the DPF - regen uses extra fuel, some of which ends up in the oil and the level goes up slightly between services.

Wheels on the higher trim versions are slightly silly 18" with 225/55R18 tyres - I use some 215/70R16s on steel rims from November-April.

I suspect the 4WD system is essentially the same still - some sort of electronically controlled clutch. Mine has a knob labelled 2WD/4WD/4WD LOCK; new ones just have a "4WD" button.

In the wet and/or towing I use 4WD, which prevents accidental wheelspin when leaving junctions smartly etc. (It does have TC so it grips pretty quickly anyway, and at least it doesn't bog down, but it's quicker off the mark in 4WD in the wet for sure).

Which 4x4 diesel automatic softroader: - Lygonos
Subaru Outback in the UK at least has a diesel auto variant.

Ground clearance very similar to 'soft-roaders' (~200mm)
Thanks for the input so far folks!

Old Qashqai in NZ came with 2.0l petrol engine only - no diesels. Fear the new model is the same :-(

SWMBO will probably say the Outback is an estate car, not a proper 4x4 :-(

Good heads up on the Outlander. 18-inch wheels on NZ-spec cars. Engine is the 4N14 2.2 D4 with torque converter auto, claiming 150hp (112KW). 10-year warranty here too! Starting to like the sound of it!
 Which 4x4 diesel automatic softroader: - Gromit
I'd say the current Outback has as much ground clearance as the original Forester I owned. UK and Ireland 2 litre boxer turbodiesel has a CVT gearbox as an option. No auto option on diesel Forester yet.

If its of interest, FiL bought a Volvo XC60 in preference to an X3 3 years ago. He started out looking for the BM, but got a better deal on the Volvo. The others he looked at were the Forester (liked it, but not the seller), Ford Kuga (thought it a bit small compared to the XC) and Skoda Yeti.

The Yeti was the surprise candidate: its a close relative of the Tiguan, was just as good in 2WD diesel manual format as a road-going SUV as the Kuga/Tiguan/X3, but was appreciably cheaper to buy. MiL vetoed it - I suspect because of the badge, really, though she'd never admit it.

Not mentioned so far, but surely the Toyota RAV and Honda CRV must be candidates too if they offer auto versions in NZ?

(And WdB needn't say anything about my one-stringed Subaru fiddle this time ... Nick did ask!)
XC60s cost silly money down here, waaaaaayyyy more than the other cars on the shortlist :-(

Kuga might get a look in. Father-in-law is on the cusp of ordering himself a brand new one. Might then pique SWMBO's interest;

CRVs are petrol-only in NZ (another doh! for another importer...)

RAV4 leaves us cold!

Thought the Yeti was tiny, must check my facts...!

Cheers!
This Outlander looks great, especially in photos 11, 17, & 19:

tinyurl.com/knzf9xt

A dealer with a sense of humour!
 Which 4x4 diesel automatic softroader: - Boxsterboy
>> This Outlander looks great, especially in photos 11, 17, & 19:
>>
>> tinyurl.com/knzf9xt
>>
>> A dealer with a sense of humour!
>>

Wouldn't be allowed here, but I think I'll have 2 Outlanders if those 'options' are included!
 Which 4x4 diesel automatic softroader: - Manatee
Yeti is quite small - rear seat legroom seemed poor to me when I looked at one a while back.
Latest Forum Posts