Motoring Discussion > Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 11

Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - Falkirk Bairn
tinyurl.com/q74ljcp
Lives in the North, missed the Hull Ferry so set-off to catch a Dover Ferry!
 Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - borasport
>>Keith Millard was caught driving at 150mph with six-month old twins, a one-year-old boy >>and girl, two, in the back seat - trying to get to Dover to catch the last ferry to Germany

I know our links with the EU are a bit ropy, but when did they start closing the borders ?

Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - Fenlander
What an utter idiot.

From local experience I know that 4 lane A1(M) from Norman Cross south is a very risky place to speed. Police on the bridges, down ramps and in unmarked cars.
 Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - Robin O'Reliant
Reports also said the kids were not wearing seat belts, as if it would have mattered at that speed.
 Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - Bill Payer
>> What an utter idiot.
>>
>> From local experience I know that 4 lane A1(M) from Norman Cross south is a
>> very risky place to speed. Police on the bridges, down ramps and in unmarked cars.
>>

I think it's idiotic from a wider viewpoint than the possibility of being caught!
 Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - ....
Did I read that right four children in the back?
I would have locked him up for the ropey last ferry excuse...
 Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - Armel Coussine
In a competent car on a dual carriageway, one can get used to fairly high speeds. There's nothing dangerous in speed per se provided the car and its all-important wheel alignment and tyres are correct in all details. But getting used to high speeds doesn't mean you can stay on top of it when it goes pear-shaped at one of those numerous side turnings or other hazards. Unbelief and indignation won't save your gnyash from that bumbling tractor or whatever.

And the faster you go the more you are in the lap of the gods, and the more likely you are to have a bad one if you are unlucky enough to have one. I drive more and more slowly as I grow older and wiser, although there are limits of course.

Unsecured nippers even at legal speeds seem a bit insouciant to me, and I used to stand on the front passenger seat with my head out of the sunroof at some speed. Of course cars had lousy brakes in those days so the risk was minimal.

:o}
 Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - Bill Payer
>> In a competent car on a dual carriageway, one can get used to fairly high
>> speeds. There's nothing dangerous in speed per se provided the car and its all-important wheel
>> alignment and tyres are correct in all details. But getting used to high speeds doesn't
>> mean you can stay on top of it when it goes pear-shaped at one of
>> those numerous side turnings or other hazards. Unbelief and indignation won't save your gnyash from
>> that bumbling tractor or whatever.
>>
It's not that just that, a big factor is that other road users (and you can blame them if you like) just don't expect people to be approaching at 2x the speed limit.

Did a fairly long run in Germany in an E Class taxi doing a steady 225KPH (140MPH) and even there there were quite a few heart in the mouth moments.
 Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - Duncan
>> Did I read that right four children in the back?
>> I would have locked him up for......

Excessive population growth.
 Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - Mapmaker
I've never been unsecured in the front of a car (as a child), but I've certainly been unsecured in the back of a car as a child. And I'd think that a Maxi at 70mph (TBH, more likely 60 I'd have thought) is about as safe as 150 in the MB. Our Allegro was great for standing up in the back. And I've travelled in the boots of friends' parents' cars.

Jail is way OTT for this offence. Quite ridiculous. I might jail him for the 150mph, but not for the children.
 Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - Bromptonaut
>> I've never been unsecured in the front of a car (as a child), but I've
>> certainly been unsecured in the back of a car as a child. And I'd think
>> that a Maxi at 70mph (TBH, more likely 60 I'd have thought) is about as
>> safe as 150 in the MB. Our Allegro was great for standing up in the
>> back. And I've travelled in the boots of friends' parents' cars.

But all that was in another age. As kids my sister and I slept on a mattress in the boot of Dad's Estate car while he drove overnight to his Mother's house in Blandford Forum. That'd rightly be culpable these days, he was tutted at by a copper even then (early sixties).

In my Mother's first car (1966 Mini) seatbelts were extra. Another few years before fitment was compulsory. Into the eighties before rear seatbelts were compulsory fit and even then some were only a lap strap.

The world has moved on. Restraint is compulsory and blatantly ignoring that while driving like a loon should be severely punished. No argument with it adding to his jail sentence.

Speeder jailed-150mph, no insurance , kids in back - henry k
Starting 30 years ago.
I had a different approach to restraining my two offspring.
I drilled all the attachments for carry cot straps.
Later then fitted four point children's seat belts.
Then fitted a third rear reel type seat belt.

These were all the best options at the time.
The carry cot straps would have restrained the cot but not sure of the contents :-)
The four point seat belts would have restrained but the narrow belts might have caused injuries.
Latest Forum Posts