Motoring Discussion > Honda CR-V III - Car needs a service by end of this month Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 14

Honda CR-V III - Car needs a service by end of this month - Falkirk Bairn
Decided to ring around as there are about 6 x dealers within 25 miles.
2yr old car for 2nd service

Local one "Its £265 and there is no point ringing around as we are all told to quote the std price"

2 x others did not answer the phone.

Distant garage phoned back £285
5pm another phones £244 - I said that this was a bit steep for what is on the schedule - she then said it includes a transmission fluid change!!! Then when challenged she said - have you done 75,000 miles?

5.15pm - Another phones back £265!

What I cannot understand is that their claim to have a fixed price as Fixing Prices is banned - Monopolies, Price Fixing have been banned for 30 years!

Last year I went to Chathams who were a franchised dealer, then a service only Honda dealer. Now the site is being redeveloped as Flats.
 Honda CR-V III - Car needs a service by end of this month - Manatee
Just paid £479 in advance for 3 Skoda services. Two are not much more than an oil change, for which I think the normal price is £149, and one major which is £299, plus a brake fluid change.

I suppose they have to make some money somewhere - I got 28% off the car :)
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 1 Jul 14 at 20:56
 Honda CR-V III - Car needs a service by end of this month - Bill Payer
>> Just paid £479 in advance for 3 Skoda services. Two are not much more than
>> an oil change, for which I think the normal price is £149, and one major
>> which is £299, plus a brake fluid change.
>>
Are you sure there's a major service?

On our Golf nothing much gets done until 4yrs - until then it's 3 oil & filter changes, 1 pollen filter and 1 brake fluid (and they argued about that being included).

Service package form VW was £300, but the dopey service advisor gave me a copy of the1st service invoice sent to VW - £68 inc parts, labour & VAT. The dealer would be better off just charging a more resonable price on a pay as you go basis.
>>Are you sure there's a major service?

Yes -

www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

(prices shown are for cars >3yrs)

That's fixed interval servicing - variable is a major every 2 years / 20,000 miles, with the possibility of an oil change in between. VW 502 oil for fixed, VW 504 for variable.

Didn't fancy the long intervals, though I suppose I could just have done my own oil changes in between. I'll probably do that anyway, as I can do it for about £25 for a filter and the right sort of oil.

I was looking forward to doing that without getting my hands dirty as the filter is the first thing you see on top of the engine - but the destructions for the 1.2TSI say drain, do not extract. I might try it anyway, if the pipe will go down the dipstick tube. Can't see what can go wrong unless I get the damn thing stuck...

It is a scarily high tech engine, and that's not even the latest version.

goo.gl/2sc6Zs (VAG self study pdf, about 6MB)
>> >>Are you sure there's a major service?
>>
>> Yes -
>>

You say "yes" but notice that most things stated as needed to be changed are only changed if the service regime calls for it. Spark plugs, air filter etc are every 4yrs.

Same (as you'd expect) with VW. It's such a scam - I called to book the Golf's second service and was told it needed a major service at £299 and would take 3hours. When I said it was on a service plan suddenly that becomes an inspection service (another name for an oil change) and I was in and out in an hour, and that included a wash and vac.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Wed 2 Jul 14 at 14:04
>> >> >>Are you sure there's a major service?
>> >>
>> >> Yes -
>> >>
>>
>> You say "yes" but notice that most things stated as needed to be changed are
>> only changed if the service regime calls for it. Spark plugs, air filter etc are
>> every 4yrs.
>>
>> Same (as you'd expect) with VW. It's such a scam - I called to book
>> the Golf's second service and was told it needed a major service at £299 and
>> would take 3hours. When I said it was on a service plan suddenly that becomes
>> an inspection service (another name for an oil change) and I was in and out
>> in an hour, and that included a wash and vac.

Skoda mix up their own terminology. I just checked the manual.

It calls the bigger 20,000m one an 'inspection service' and the minor 10,000m one an 'oil change service'.
>> Decided to ring around as there are about 6 x dealers within 25 miles.

Where abouts are you? We have a Jazz and I was thinking Honda dealers seem to be getting thin on ground as they have hardly anything to sell.

And why don't you have the Honda servicing package? Would surely have saved a considerable amount (although see my next answer re VW :) ).
>>And why don't you have the Honda servicing package?

Cypriot import via Motorpoint - £4,200 less than best Scottish dealer in 2012
>.Cypriot import via Motorpoint

Probably a 60,000 mile/3yr warranty rather than 90,000 then. Just a watch-out - things may have changed.
>>Probably a 60,000 mile/3yr warranty rather than 90,000

Whilst I used to drive 25K+ per year when working, retiral has dropped this to under 10K.
>> 5pm another phones £244 - I said that this was a bit steep for what
>> is on the schedule - she then said it includes a transmission fluid change!!! Then
>> when challenged she said - have you done 75,000 miles?

Ask them how much a trans fluid change is then get them to deduct that from £244 - you should end up with a not too unreasonable price then!

>> What I cannot understand is that their claim to have a fixed price as Fixing
>> Prices is banned - Monopolies, Price Fixing have been banned for 30 years!

I suppose if you felt minded to take any action you could complain to Trading Standards - that's if such a body still exists in your neck of the woods.
 Honda CR-V III - Car needs a service by end of this month - Crankcase

>> >> What I cannot understand is that their claim to have a fixed price as
>> Fixing
>> >> Prices is banned - Monopolies, Price Fixing have been banned for 30 years!

Toyota call it fixed price as well, but if you look at the titchy print they say "this price is the maximum - a dealer is free to charge less" or words to that effect.

So it's not "fixed" in theory.

Of course, I've not spoken to every dealer in the land on every occasion, but on speaking to three or four around here at service time they all are charging the maximum (and more at my local one, until challenged, on one occasion, which left a bad taste, as indeed did my last visit there to the sales department, but that's another story.).

Honda CR-V III - Car needs a service by end of this month - Lygonos
Always felt Chathams at Sighthill were better than the Abbeyhill crew, although didn't use them much after Phoenix turned the big VW showroom in Grangemouth into a Honda effort.

Booked service £195 inc VAT @ Honda Franchised outlet - 19 miles away but £70 less than most of the other outlets.

The franchise shows 90% satisfaction for servicing which is one of the highest rated in Scotland.
Aye, well cheapness is highly rated where I come from too:)
Latest Forum Posts