Motoring Discussion > MoT history checker Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 24

MoT history checker - Manatee
Maybe it was just me, but I didn't know until yesterday that it is possible to see the full computerised test history of a car with all the failure reasons and advisories where applicable.

I'd look this up if buying a used car over 3 years old.

The online history of my 1999 MX5, bought in 2012, goes back to 2006. I can see it failed for numerous tyre defects at different times (bald, cut, bulges), and corroded rear sub frame mounts - must have a closer look at that, it appears sound underneath - must have been repaired at some time, it's passed the last two with no advisories.

You need the reg no. and either the V5 document number of the MoT refusal/certificate number.

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle
 MoT history checker - Focusless
>> Maybe it was just me

nope - useful, ta
 MoT history checker - Slidingpillar
Of limited value on a historic car, most of the 'advisories' I've had show the ignorance of the tester rather than any issues with the car.

Still worth doing though, anything helps.
 MoT history checker - Shiny
Interestingly, my A8L's former/original owner was Audi UK and it had an MOT every 6 months from new so I suppose it must have been classed as a 'taxi'?
 MoT history checker - WillDeBeest
Very nice taxis they make too. I can waggle my legs all the way to the airport.
 MoT history checker - Alastairw
Audi supply a fleet of limos for big events like the Baftas. Is it black by any chance?
 MoT history checker - spamcan61
Funnily enough I first noticed that link on my Astra's shiny new MoT certificate this evening. Going back to 2006 it has tyre wear advisories and "headlamp aim on limit" virtually every year. Another common theme is "spare tyre different size" but methinks that was normal, the spare is the standard Astra size, mine is the boy racer model with lower profiles.
 MoT history checker - Cliff Pope
I thought the spare tyre was not part of the MOT test?
It isn't a tested item anyway which makes the advisories on it even odder in a trivial way,
The spare on the Roomie is a different size even though it is a normal 15" steel wheel with a 195/55R15 tyre. The other wheels are 16" with 205/45R16 tyres.

The overall diameter is the same within <1%, but the spare still has a yellow 'temporary use only, 50mph maximum' sticker on it, apparently because it is otherwise an offence to have tyres of different sizes on the same axle.

So your Astra's spare should have a similar yellow sticker but is legal for temporary use.

(disregarding whether it is MoTable)
 MoT history checker - Stuartli
My Jetta Sports 170 has 18in alloy wheels; the spare is not a Space Saver type as I originally thought, but a slightly smaller "proper" Continental S2, presumably so it doesn't need a bulge in the boot's floor mat in order to accommodate it.
>>My Jetta ... spare is not a Space Saver type as I originally thought, but a slightly smaller "proper" Continental S2,

Does it have the temporary use sticker and the speed limitation then?

The Roomster I'm sure would accommodate a full sized alloy and tyre.
 MoT history checker - Bromptonaut
Spare in Mrs B's 63 reg Berlingo is same size as road wheels but steel not alloy. It's therefore badged for a max speed/duration of use.
>> Spare in Mrs B's 63 reg Berlingo is same size as road wheels but steel
>> not alloy. It's therefore badged for a max speed/duration of use.

If the tyre is the same size (width/profile) and not a pram tyre, I'd be pretty confident I could remove the sticker and use it normally.

>> If the tyre is the same size (width/profile) and not a pram tyre, I'd be
>> pretty confident I could remove the sticker and use it normally.

I'm of same school of thought, even if towing.
 MoT history checker - Stuartli
>>Does it have the temporary use sticker and the speed limitation then?>>

Not sure offhand. Would have to take the tyre out and turn it over to find out and it's absolutely chucking it down at the moment...:-) But it's obviously a steel rather than alloy wheel.

Never had a puncture for at least 10 years, so the only thing I've ever done with the Jetta's spare wheel in the four years I've owned it is to occasionally check the tyre pressure.

No doubt I'll now have the odd puncture or two...:-( :-) :-)

>>
>> So your Astra's spare should have a similar yellow sticker but is legal for temporary
>> use.
>>
>> (disregarding whether it is MoTable)
>>
No sticker on the wheel, don't recall having one on previous Omegas either that had a slightly smaller spare than road wheels - of the same rolling radius. Can't say I'd want to run around for long with different profile tyres on the same axle though.
 MoT history checker - Slidingpillar
I think MOT testers try to show VOSA they are on the ball. I've had an advisory, done nothing and got a pass with no advisories the following year.
 MoT history checker - swiss tony
>> I think MOT testers try to show VOSA they are on the ball. I've had an advisory, done nothing and got a pass with no advisories the following year.
>>

Pretty much... if too many tests were done with no advisories/fails, the test station would have VOSA knocking on the door PDQ...
 MoT history checker - mikeyb
>> I think MOT testers try to show VOSA they are on the ball. I've had
>> an advisory, done nothing and got a pass with no advisories the following year.
>>

Same here. Was at the same garage to!
 MoT history checker - Harleyman
>> I think MOT testers try to show VOSA they are on the ball.

They have to. VOSA can do snap inspections and also put "mystery shoppers" into the system. Fail and you can not only lose your testing licence but do time.
 MoT history checker - VxFan
>> I thought the spare tyre was not part of the MOT test?

It's still inspected. And if found to have any defects it should be notified.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

"Tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a spare wheel."
 MoT history checker - Cliff Pope

>>
>> "Tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should be informed when it
>> is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a spare wheel."
>>

Is "informed" the same as "advisory" ?
I thought advisories were a formal way of notifying things which were a near or imminent faillure on a testable item ?

That said, advisories can be good things, not bad.
A previous advisory on my Triumph said "The underside of the vehicle has recently been repainted and undersealed".
Er, yes. It had just had a metal-up restoration to restore the underside to as-new condition.

>> Is "informed" the same as "advisory" ?
>> I thought advisories were a formal way of notifying things which were a near or
>> imminent faillure on a testable item ?

Not necessarily on testable items. My Berlingo got advisories last year for 'engine obscured' (ie by the acoustic hood it left the factory with) and for scratches on paintwork (Mrs B got too close to a wall at her then work).
 MoT history checker - Kevin
Well spotted Manatee.

Just discovered that my Jag was originally the Mayor of Portsmouth's official car and wore the Reg. BK 1

When I bought it, the docs just showed that the registered keeper was a manager in Portsmouth Council.
Last edited by: Kevin on Thu 3 Jul 14 at 22:28
Latest Forum Posts