Motoring Discussion > broken toe Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 21

broken toe - zookeeper
hi room, ive been nursing a broken big toe on my right foot since 30th june, dont ask me how it happened
as i dont really have a clue... went back to the hospital last monday and ive been told to rest it and no driving
so ive been ferried about by SWMBO since ... im appalled by her standard of driving as ive always sat in the captains seat when we went out together
we had to go from hinckley to wolverhampton yesterday and the drive was terrible
lets begin
driving too close to vehicles in front
very slow move offs and harsh stopping
not looking right on roundabout approaches
double lane switching on roundabouts usually on straight ahead manouvres
going up the kerb rather than reverse in when parking
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 11 Jul 14 at 01:21
 broken toe - Duncan
Hmm. Tricky situation. Will the good lady respond to advice from you, or perhaps the suggestion that a course with, say, IAM might be a good idea?

In my own case it's the harsh stopping that irritates the most. The brakes are not feathered as the speed drops off, thereby avoiding the head jerk as the car stops.

However, making comment is a very, VERY delicate matter.
 broken toe - smokie
I did IAM a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. When I suggested that SWMBO might benefit ( - she would, trust me!!) I had a few days of golden silence after the initial outburst after I gave an honest response to "what's wrong with my driving then"

I do think that half of the IAM stuff is a bit OTT but half of it vastly increased my (already superb!! :-) ) driving skills. I've particularly noticed the benefit when driving abroad.

SWMBO is mostly guilty of the slowing to a stop at all roundabouts, traffic or none, and a fairly persistent pattern of reported "near-misses", where she complains loudly about other drivers but maybe has put herself in a position of risk, or not anticipated correctly.

Her most recent collision ( not that she has had many) was approaching a roundabout in the right hand lane to go straight on. Not actually wrong in the Highway Code, but according to the insurance company not best practice. What she failed to do was notice the bloke in the left hand lane, slightly behind her at the entrance to the roundabout, who was also going straight on - into a single carriageway. That's the point at which they came together. I since have driven the roundabout and I think the insurers were wrong to accept the blame was hers, but with a bit more awareness of what was around her it needn't have happened.

Just in case she reads this (!!) her driving is not awful. But we're never too old to learn.

Get well soon with the broken toe!!
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 11 Jul 14 at 07:32
 broken toe - sherlock47
I wish you well with the broken toe, and suggest that you start putting your financial affairs in order, hiding all assets, if you are going to pursue the re-education path with a degree of tenacity.

I find that best way of introducing into conversation certain driving traits is to comment to SWMBO on the habits of another person who regualrly drives us. I think it has some effect but possibly not as effective as an IAM course.
 broken toe - CGNorwich
Your is wife is having to ferry you everywhere you go in a car that you don't normally let her drive and you want to start criticising her driving ability?

Reverse the situation and see how that plays with you.

broken toe - Manatee
I think Zookeeper has probably worked that out, and has decided to get it off his chest here!

I dislike the jerky stops and have had an unconscious habit for years, when driving a manual, of releasing the brake gradually as the car comes to a stop.

One of the unexpected discoveries with the new Skoda is that DSG makes this difficult or impossible.

In a manual you have independent control of the clutch. In the Civic auto, the 'creep' didn't seem to cause this problem.

With the DSG, as the car stops the clutch disengages, but gradually releasing the brake pedal when the car is still moving you can feel the clutch engaging again. Nothing for it but to stay on the brake and make the passengers' heads nod. No good for chauffeurs.
 broken toe - Cliff Pope
I think you have a straight choice - do you want to preserve your car or your marriage?
:)
 broken toe - madf
The car is cheaper to run so it's a simple financial choice. Get rid of a depreciating asset or keep one that appreciates with time.

Hat and coat taken..
 broken toe - WillDeBeest
...I've always sat in the captain's seat when we went out together...
Doesn't the captain sit on the left? I think afar would say so.

...had to go from Hinckley to Wolverhampton yesterday and the drive was terrible.
I can imagine. I went to Wolverhampton once.
};---)
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 11 Jul 14 at 11:25
 broken toe - WillDeBeest
Ran out of edit time. 'Afar' was autocorrect's attempt at FF. He flies planes. Oh, never mind.
 broken toe - Robin O'Reliant
With women I find it's no good beating around the bush, they prefer a candid and honest approach. Just tell her that her driving skills are a complete joke and she's a dangerous menace to herself and everyone else and she desperately needs to undertake further training.

She'll respect you for it.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Fri 11 Jul 14 at 12:03
 broken toe - Manatee
Are you going to visit him in hospital?
 broken toe - henry k
>> Are you going to visit him in hospital?
>>
That's the view of a real optomist.
I think he will urn his future.
 broken toe - Pat
>> With women I find it's no good beating around the bush, they prefer a candid
>> and honest approach. Just tell her that her driving skills are a complete joke and
>> she's a dangerous menace to herself and everyone else and she desperately needs to undertake
>> further training.
>>
>> She'll respect you for it.
>>

I'd tell you to get out and hop home on you're broken toe.

A second class ride is better than a first class hop after all.

Pat
 broken toe - Westpig
Book both of you a skid pan session, say you've always fancied doing it and why don't you both have a go.

Once you've done that, suggest you both do an IAM course.

You both win then.
 broken toe - Robin O'Reliant
Not a word from Zookeeper since his original post. I wonder if he took my advice?
 broken toe - zookeeper
maybe i was being a bit harsh on the old women..after all she hasnt had an accident in all the time weve been together...read into that what you like
its the harsh braking that grinds me up tho. it puts a lot of pressure on the big toe and im the passenger !!!
the heartburn and indigestion started just after we joined the M6 off the big curve end of M69
being boxed in by 40 footers on three sides, brought back memories of the side shunt we had with the deawoo
then there was the no mirror , manouvre, signal antics that got the blood pressure up...
more to follow
 broken toe - mikeyb
I have similar issues. My biggest bugbear is the lack of spatial awareness. Sometimes we stop for parked cars to give way when you could easily get a double decker bus through, but other times we wedge our way through small gaps using the size of the Viano like a battering ram.

Complete lack of awareness is another one, like sitting alongside other vehicles right in their blind spot, or approaching a red light while maintaining speed right until the need for heavy breaking
 broken toe - zookeeper
to be honest im a bad passenger.. and have a bit of a panic attack mentality, cant afford a scrape or a knock at the minute
 broken toe - Runfer D'Hills
Your Italian trip is soon isn't it?

Heh heh, you might have to get Mrs Keeper to drive to Rome ! That should cure you of the nerves by the time you get home.

:-)
 broken toe - Telb
I wasabout to suggest moving to France, where her driving style would be admired for its considerateness and forethought. (Posted from France on holiday)
 broken toe - zookeeper
yeah trips due last week of this month.. i still have to go back to the hospital end of next week
to get the all clear, doctor doesnt want me jumping on the brakes at the mo just in case as you do
being laid up isnt bringing the bacon home , but ive a slush fund that im trying not to touch
statutary sick pay? dunno about that.. sent a doctors note last week to the agency
havnt heard nothing or been paid
Latest Forum Posts