Motoring Discussion > Things you didn't know Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 101

Things you didn't know - Runfer D'Hills
I've had my car for nearly three years and I'll soon be up to 100,000 miles.

Two weeks ago though I discovered by accident that it has a "hill hold" facility. All you do is press the footbrake a bit harder than normal while stationary, let it go and it holds it like a handbrake. At first I assumed it only worked when waiting facing uphill but about a week ago I figured out it also works when you are facing downhill or indeed on the flat.

Not that I ever worried about holding it on the footbrake in those situations ( it's an auto ) but being a Merc it was just too much effort ( or would have been if could have been bothered ) to faff with the foot operated parking brake if I was only waiting for the lights to change or a junction to clear.

Should help to improve the moods of the people who apparently go into paroxysms of rage about brake lights too I suppose. Not that I can really understand why it bothers them so much. Never has me.

Makes me wonder what else it can do though.

Perhaps I should get around to reading the manual but it appears to to be wordier than the Bible. Can't help thinking I'd not finish it.

For example, there's a wee slot in the dash which looks about iPod sized. Dunno what that does. Maybe the obvious.

Things you didn't know - henry k
When my X type gets very low on petrol a message pops up informing me that the SAT NAV will show where the nearest petrol station is.
Since my Sat NAV disk was 2007 quite a few of the filling stations had closed :-)
I now have the latest ( the last to be produced ) 2012 disk.
So I have less chance of finding a redeveloped site.
At the main dealer price £200 a disk is a cheap insurance ?

With a range of just about 300 miles a tank I can risk things in my urban area but further afield I ensure I have plenty in the tank.ke
 Things you didn't know - PeterS
I'm amazed you hadn't found that 'hold' thing out RdH - I use it all the time. Mind you, it's what activates the Eco stop/start thing which I think your car just 'missed out' on. Without that I don't think I'd use it much. But I'd have guessed it was there because the S211 Merc I had in 2004 had it too:-)

I can't picture an iPod sized slot - there is one for an SD card though. Which I haven't used. I also haven't (to my knowledge) uploaded anything to the hard disc in the car. I just plug my phone, with all it's music, inside the arm rest and access music through that :-)
I'm still getting used to it ! The other thing I found in the menu recently was the option to make the door mirrors fold when you lock the car.

I did switch it on for a day or two but it began to annoy me for some irrational reason and I turned it off.

Maybe that is an SD card slot. I've heard of SD cards but I don't think I've ever felt inclined to use one. Erm, what is an SD card exactly? Do I need to know? Am I missing out on something?

;-)
Well I could tell you, but...I'd have to find out myself first :-)

Though if you've had a digital camera then you've probably encountered them without knowing - just another means of storing data :-)

On the mirrors thing, I'm surprised they weren't set up that way when you got the car. It seems to be the norm for MBs. I like it because it's a very quick visual check tht the car is locked!!
 Things you didn't know - legacylad
I parked next to a very nice looking E350 CDI estate in t'Asda the other day. It looked extremely nice in white with a vast panoramic roof.
Should I ever need an estate that would be on my short list (assuming I had the funds)
An E Class at ASDA you say? Gosh...

Well I suppose it was a white one.

;-)
Yes, and personalised plates. Two letters. Two numbers. It didn't follow me to t'Aldi in Keighley though!
That must have been quite a dilemma for the driver. After all, you can't really drive an E Class in a football jersey but you can't really go into an ASDA without one.

Must have been pretty stressful to know what to do for the best.

;-))
My 96yo Aunt, whom I take to Asda once a fortnight, has no such problems as she doesn't own a soccer shirt. She gets out very little from her flat, and uses the opportunity to dress up! Got some strange looks on Thursday pulling into a blue badge bay with the roof down on the 330, and this elegantly attired old dear got out. Eventually. She uses a trolley as a surrogate zimmer. The stuff I do on my day off. If there is a God I'm quids in.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 13 Jul 14 at 10:20
You need an estate car.
 Things you didn't know - Robin O'Reliant
It was eighteen months into the ownership of a Mk1 Cavalier that I accidently found out that by pulling the light switch you activated the interior light. I had thought it a cheapskate cost cutting measure by Vauxhall that it didn't have a switch.
 Things you didn't know - tyrednemotional
>> It was eighteen months into the ownership of a Mk1 Cavalier that I accidently found
>> out that by pulling the light switch you activated the interior light.
>>

.....not just me then! I had a good few months of opening the door to read maps via the courtesy light until a work-colleague who also owned a Cavalier tipped me off.
Again?
Years ago had a Fiat 124/128? Volvo 240 GL, Avenger, Passat (RWX567R) a pair of Legacy's and a Lexus IS SportCross if that counts.
You are probably correct but can still cope, just, with the ragtop + trailer, although I have still a constant scratch called an S4 with the sensible V6.
After 5+ years with the Beemer I have only just realised that the indicators can be used by moving a short arm, attached to the steering column, up and down.
 Things you didn't know - Bill Payer
>> Should help to improve the moods of the people who apparently go into paroxysms of
>> rage about brake lights too I suppose.

erm.......the brake slights stay on. ;)

>> The other thing I found in the menu
>> recently was the option to make the door mirrors fold when you lock the car.
>>
>> I did switch it on for a day or two but it began to annoy
>> me for some irrational reason and I turned it off.
>>

That's come and gone over the years, apparently because people complained about the noise. If you're keeping the car it's as well not to fold the mirrors all the time as eventually the wiring breaks.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sun 13 Jul 14 at 11:34
Well now y'see that's two more things I didn't know. It's all a bit much really.

:-)
 Things you didn't know - Bill Payer
>> Well now y'see that's two more things I didn't know. It's all a bit much
>> really.
>>
Just think how clear your head would be without the internet to fill it with stuff that you don't really need to know!

>> Just think how clear your head would be without the internet to fill it with stuff that you don't really need to know!

Too true, there indeed, fundamentally, is the crux of it. Previously, we didn't know we didn't know things, in fact we were convinced and reassured that we knew lots of things, but now of course we not only don't know things, we know we don't know things and what's more, are reminded daily that we don't know them. Even then, when we eventually get to know new things we then get someone trying to convince us that we are wrong and that they know better.

It's all a bit of a trial really.

I know that much.

Things you didn't know - CGNorwich
I'm not sure that's right. Surely the things we didn't know were just as knowable as now it's just that we didn't know how to know them. Just because we now we all know how to know more we don't necessarily know quantitatively any more than we knew before.
Yes but, and I can only speak personally of course, the disturbing thing is that we now know what we don't know and knowing that, and also knowing if we want to know, we could indeed get to know, but in doing so, it might confound our previous certain knowledge, is something I find hard to know.

For example, my car knows things I don't know. It knows when there is a traffic jam ahead, it knows when I am tired, well, it thinks it knows anyway, but it can be wrong. All very well, but it probably doesn't know it doesn't know, but I know now when I don't know and that can cause a level of anxiety it will never know.

It can't end well you know.
You may be right. I dunno.
 Things you didn't know - swiss tony
>> If you're keeping the car it's as well not to fold the mirrors all the time
>> as eventually the wiring breaks.
>>

Oh Cheers for that.
Bang goes my bonus - almost fully paid for by new mirrors... ;-)
 Things you didn't know - ....
One for Pat, P2 Volvos with HU650/850 when listening to FM press and hold the FM button to find out the artist and track playing.

You'll go cross eyed trying to read the scrolling text but it is there.

I also found out this weekend that hiding in trees playing hide and seek is not a good idea when you've retired to the country ;-)
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 13 Jul 14 at 14:14
 Things you didn't know - Westpig
>> I also found out this weekend that hiding in trees playing hide and seek is
>> not a good idea when you've retired to the country ;-)
>>

It's amazing the amount of people here, that seem to have heard about this event. I'm getting feedback from the most unlikely sources.
 Things you didn't know - Fullchat
Feedback is a gift :)
 Things you didn't know - Pat
Westpig wasn't hiding...I know where he hid and he was just re-living his childhood playing Tarzan!

Gmac, can you make it do that all the time? I thought the other day I would like to know who the artist and title was..

Pat
>> Westpig wasn't hiding...I know where he hid and he was just re-living his childhood playing
>> Tarzan!

Blimey Pat. I think you need to get yourself down to Specsavers.
It's in one of the radio menus. Station text or some such.
BBC does has it as do many regional stations

It won't do it by default, you always have to press and hold FM for a couple of seconds.
WP caught on camera :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHWbsvgQUE&feature=kp
 Things you didn't know - manuel_fawlty
No, this is him

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz-am2ESY20
Oh how I chuckled :)))))))
 Things you didn't know - Armel Coussine
>> Oh how I chuckled

At the thought of Westpig being shot with a tranquillizer dart while up a tree? That's what had happened to the bear, very obviously.
>> No, this is him

You're not far wrong.

I can confirm there were no darts involved and the only audience was a 6 year old.
 Things you didn't know - Crankcase
Local chap climbed a tree this weekend, fell out, had to be airlifted to hospital where he is "serious but stable".

Have a little blessings count, WP, if you haven't already.

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Man-suffers-serious-injuries-in-30ft-fall-out-a-tree-in-Cambridgeshire-village-20140713114833.htm

I recall flying a kite a few years ago in a holiday cottage garden. I was walking away from the house pulling the string. Those watching from the kitchen window were limp and gasping with unsympathetic laughter when I rejoined them later, having walked backwards over a ha-ha and apparently vanishing as perfectly as a magic trick, although the kite remained aloft.

Things you didn't know - Roger.
Ha, Ha! :-)
Thanks gmac, I'll have a look for that.

Pat
 Things you didn't know - WillDeBeest
I was all set to scoff at Humph's ignorance of his brake hold and folding mirrors. (Mine came set to fold automatically but I turned it off - sorry, ST.) And then I read this. My S60 has an HU803 and I've no idea whether it can do this. Still, I've not had it twelve years yet; these things take time.

Away all week, otherwise I'd go out and try it. Wouldn't be able to see it, of course, unless I took my polarizing sunglasses off - or turned my head 90°.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 15 Jul 14 at 10:33
 Things you didn't know - Avant
Going back to the beginning of a thread is a terrible thing to do on C4P - but I'll do it anyway....

SD cards are great, even for a comparative technophobe like me. You can copy over lots of CDs, or iTunes tracks, on to a card the size of a thumbnail and play them in the car if you have a system with an SD card slot. I'm sure that if my humble Skoda has one, a Mercedes will have it too. You avoid having to store CDs in the car, finding them in the wrong case, getting them stuck in the CD changer etc...

What SD stands for....I haven't the faintest idea.
 Things you didn't know - No FM2R
Secure Digital, I believe.
Further to the above, I have subsequently discovered just tonight that the hold thingy when engaged posts the word "Hold" on the dashboard display.

I noticed this while on my own drive with the front of the car not two feet from my closed garage door.

Despite "knowing" it would be fine I simply had to then take my foot off the footbrake to test if it was telling the truth.

It was of course, but then it occurred to me that it would have been to me expensive, also fairly embarrassing and in addition highly visible ands quite possibly hilarious to any non-financially involved observer if it hadn't worked.
 Things you didn't know - bathtub tom
>>It was of course, but then it occurred to me that it would have been to me expensive, also fairly embarrassing and in addition highly visible ands quite possibly hilarious to any non-financially involved observer if it hadn't worked.

More than a Qashqai door mirror?

;>)
Here's another thing I didn't know about my car.

I'll come back to that in a minute but just set the scene, my car doesn't have a wee blue "GB" bit on its numberplates for some reason. Not sure why but it doesn't. It goes out of the country a handful of times a year so it has a "GB" sticker on the tailgate.

Anyway, the sticker was starting to look a bit tatty and I thought I'd treat it to a new one. I carefully peeled what remained of the old one off and trotted down to our local motor spares shop at the weekend to buy a new one. Chap there ( when I explained my mission and what lay behind it ) told me I should get an altogether smarter magnetic one rather than the much cheaper sticker type. Certainly it does look a lot more durable being made out of a much hardier looking material but it was £3.99 as opposed to £1.99 so a bit more of an investment really. Still, you only live once eh?

Anyway, I've just remembered about it and nipped out to the car to trial it on the tailgate.

Plastic tailgate.

Doh !
Incidentally, anyone know how to get a GB sticker on without getting bubbles under it?

:-(
 Things you didn't know - Gromit
1) Clean the area you're going to stick it to, then apply one edge first and 'brush' it on, that's to sday press it down in one direction only. Normally that forces the bubbles out

or

2) Get a GB numberplate with the EU roundel on it - the official correct one, y'know :-) - and you won't have to worry about stick-on GBs coming unstuck.

BTW, EU refusenik number plates seem to be a peculiarly British thing...most of the other 27 EU countries made the change with no hassle!
Supposing one had done the careful application and there were still bubbles? Should one,

a) shrug and think "that'll have to do"

b) carefully peel off and try again?

c) go back and spend another £1.99 for a new one and hope not to get bubbles under that?

:-(
 Things you didn't know - Bromptonaut
>> Supposing one had done the careful application and there were still bubbles? Should one,
>>
>> a) shrug and think "that'll have to do"
>>
>> b) carefully peel off and try again?
>>
>> c) go back and spend another £1.99 for a new one and hope not
>> to get bubbles under that?
>>
>> :-(

Eliminate option c. Another variation on (b) would be to use a fine needle to puncture the bubbles and squeeze air out.
 Things you didn't know - Roger.
>> 1) Clean the area you're going to stick it to, then apply one edge first
>> and 'brush' it on, that's to sday press it down in one direction only. Normally
>> that forces the bubbles out
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2) Get a GB numberplate with the EU roundel on it - the official correct
>> one, y'know :-) - and you won't have to worry about stick-on GBs coming unstuck.
>>
>> BTW, EU refusenik number plates seem to be a peculiarly British thing...most of the other
>> 27 EU countries made the change with no hassle!

Union flag + GB replacement stick-ons for the circle of stars are available!
I might send away for an "Ecosse" sticker come to think.
>> I might send away for an "Ecosse" sticker come to think.
>>

Well I'm in Dundee at the moment, if you want me to take a look!!
Why not ! Thank you.

( £2.00 budget mind )

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 17 Jul 14 at 19:08
 Things you didn't know - bathtub tom
I thought I'd be posh and got a magnetic GB plate. It disappeared somewhere in Germany - I reckon it was nicked.
 Things you didn't know - Slidingpillar
Right, to apply any sticker to a car, you'll need a bucket of hot soapy water, a window cleaners squeegee and a sponge.

Clean the area you're going put the sticker in with the hot soapy water and sponge.

Then put the sticker in the bucket, without the backing - when the sticker is warm, apply to bodywork and because it and the bodywork are warm and wet, the sticker will easily slide around the body till you are happy with its placement.

Then holding the sticker in place, gently squeegee the soapy water out. As this is done, you'll feel the sticker start to stick. When you are happy, leave it overnight, and in the morning, you'll find it stuck. You should not have any bubbles doing it this way.

To remove, more soapy water and a hair dryer.

I got lessons in doing this from some one who installed stickers professionally when I used to help a rally competitor get ready.
Fab thanks !
@Slingpillar - just tried your hot soapy water trick with the GB sticker.

Marvellous, perfect, no bubbles !

Thank you !
 Things you didn't know - sherlock47
If it does not have GB on I suspect that it is not compliant for Europe travel:)

What international licence plate country code will an independent Scotland use? SCO is not official (yet?). ECO? ALB is is available.

They will also need a country dialling code, aircraft regn, internet domain extension,.............

Passports to come to England, and when they sign up to Schengen, the border ( Hadrians wall/) will aquire barbed wire fences, machine gun posts to keep out the johnny foreigners who will have freedom to travel without passports. A bit like the old East/West Germany border?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 17 Jul 14 at 19:48
Hadrian's Wall is in England and a long way from the border.
I had an "Ecosse" sticker on the Westfield and whether it compliant or not it was never questioned in all the European miles we did in it over the years we had it. In fact it was often the catalyst in initiating conversations with French or Spanish car enthusiasts, as in, "you have driven from Scotland in that?"

;-)
I get the same with the bike on a Sco plate when I take it abroad.
I thought my GSXR looked odd with panniers until I saw another one with a topbox.
>> Hadrian's Wall is in England and a long way from the border.
>>

I replied to this post - did some one take offence - or was it lost?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 17 Jul 14 at 21:51
And another thing. Our company cars are insured with NFU. The policies include UK breakdown cover, but for an extra £22 they'll include European breakdown cover on mine.

S'good isn't it.
>> And another thing. Our company cars are insured with NFU. The policies include UK breakdown
>> cover, but for an extra £22 they'll include European breakdown cover on mine.
>>
>> S'good isn't it.
>>
Aren't you paying twice? I thought Mercedes had mobilo or whatever it's called when you keep the car serviced in the dealer network.
I've got it on my Volvo, full European cover even covers for punctures when a can of gunk isn't enough and your stuck in the middle of the Alps.
Should have kept the Mondeo, Ford have SARA as part of servicing. Service Activated Roadside Assistance.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 18 Jul 14 at 20:09
>> >> Hadrian's Wall is in England and a long way from the border.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> I replied to this post - did some one take offence - or was it
>> lost?
>>

PS the slash after wall was a mistyped ?
 Things you didn't know - Zero
I had a slash on the wall once, and up one of the stones at the 'henge.
>> I had a slash on the wall once, and up one of the stones at
>> the 'henge.
>>

We should be told - you were detained for the last 6 weeks at HMP for this dubious honour?
 Things you didn't know - Cliff Pope

>>
>> We should be told - you were detained for the last 6 weeks at HMP
>> for this dubious honour?
>>

It was a miscarriage of justice based on concocted evidence.
The "C4P Zero" have all been released with a free pardon.
Did no-one see the numerous banners around the manner?

0 is innocent 0K.
I saw "O is innocent - again" sprayed on a railway bridge.
Is "M Khan is Bent" still in Finchley?
On the North Circ? No its gone.

Give Peas a Chance is still over the M25 at Denham tho.
 Things you didn't know - Robin O'Reliant
It took years for "George Davis is Innocent" to fade from the railway bridge just after the Bow Flyover. Long after he got banged up again when plod dragged him out of the getaway van during an armed robbery ambush.
Didn't notice whether THE DYAKS ARE WATCHING has faded into illegibility yet down behind our old gaff in the Grove when we were there yesterday or so. But while parked in Camden Town somewhere we noticed this small and perhaps not very good Banksy on a cement garden wall just beside us. Herself may remember what it represented... I don't. There was a fedora hat I think.

I dig Banksy. The images are sometimes fabulous but anyway he's our Warhol (and much better too).

>> Herself may remember what it represented... I don't. There was a fedora hat I think.

She didn't remember the hat. She did remember a horse with a bit missing from the middle of it. So did I when reminded.

But, er, she also suggested it might not be a real Banksy, just one of many pastiches and imitations. I know they exist. Some are much better than others.

Just as well we didn't push the wall down and steal the bits with a view to later reassembly. Even if real it wasn't a good one.
>> I dig Banksy. The images are sometimes fabulous but anyway he's our Warhol (and much
>> better too).
>>
I don't. I see him as a graffiti artist, a vandal. If his work looked crap people would be moaning about the criminality.
>>. I see him as a graffiti artist, a vandal

I agree.

If painting on walls / property / whatever is against the law, it is against the law irrespective of the perceived attractiveness of the painting or the fashionable-ness of the painter..
Never thought I would agree with WP and FMR in the same thread but the voice of reason, at last!

Pat

>>
>> If painting on walls / property / whatever is against the law, it is against
>> the law irrespective of the perceived attractiveness of the painting or the fashionable-ness of the
>> painter..
>>

Dumping a Picasso in your front garden would be illegal too.
That of course is true. It doesn't however mean that Banksy is not a great artist.
>> >>. I see him as a graffiti artist, a vandal
>>
>> I agree.
>>
>> If painting on walls / property / whatever is against the law, it is against
>> the law irrespective of the perceived attractiveness of the painting or the fashionable-ness of the
>> painter..

An indication then, where the law is an ass. (not so much an ass but unavoidably inflexible). The crime, if any, is where the owner considers it damage. I doubt anyone would consider the very clever, witty, incisive social commentary that is Banksy's telephone box mural as anything other than art.

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/10764772/Banksys-latest-work-Mural-near-GCHQ-depicts-secret-agents-listening-in-on-a-phone-box.html
>> An indication then, where the law is an ass. (not so much an ass but
>> unavoidably inflexible). The crime, if any, is where the owner considers it damage. I doubt
>> anyone would consider the very clever, witty, incisive social commentary that is Banksy's telephone box
>> mural as anything other than art.

I don't think the law is unnecessarily inflexible.

It is not Banksy's prerogative to make decisions on whether other people want their property daubed over.

The fact that he is good and thought provoking etc. doesn't mean he should have a dispensation.
>> I don't think the law is unnecessarily inflexible.

I dont doubt that.

>> It is not Banksy's prerogative to make decisions on whether other people want their property
>> daubed over.

Its the owners prerogative to decide if its a crime or not.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 20 Jul 14 at 10:15
>>Its the owners prerogative to decide if its a crime or not.

How can that be? Of course the owner can lie and say that he gave permission and perhaps make prosecution impossible, but he cannot decide if graffiti is a crime or not.

I think you left your mind in Torquay.
>> >>Its the owners prerogative to decide if its a crime or not.
>>
>> How can that be? Of course the owner can lie and say that he gave
>> permission and perhaps make prosecution impossible, but he cannot decide if graffiti is a crime
>> or not.

There is no such crime as "graffiti", the offence is" causing criminal damage." So therefore of course, only the owner can decide if his property is damaged or enhanced.

>> I think you left your mind in Torquay.

Clearly your prodigious intake of alcoholic beverages has damaged yours. I do hope its not a permanent disability.
>>Clearly your prodigious intake of alcoholic beverages has damaged yours

From Cliff in Cheers;

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it's the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers"
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 20 Jul 14 at 14:51
 Things you didn't know - Duncan
>> It took years for "George Davis is Innocent"

Surely "G. Davis is innocent"?
 Things you didn't know - Avant
I seem to remember 'Free George Davis.....with 4 gallons of petrol'.
I did a post yesterday calling Westpig and FMR soulless for wittering about the 'legality' of graffiti, but it has vanished.

Honestly what adult gives a toss about that, in a hideous mishmash like London? It's utterly pathetic.

Will this post vanish too?
>>Will this post vanish too?

If I was a mod I would not be able to resist. It would make me giggle, indignant spluttering always does.
Personally I am more amused by pompous confused wittering.
I wouldn't have said you were confused.
Everyone is confused sometimes FMR, it's an aspect of the human condition.

But the confused pomposity I mention isn't mine.

Don't worry about it though. You aren't all bad, far from it.
Washed both cars today ( well there was an equinox or a solstice or something recently so it was due. )

Anyway, here's something I didn't know. I noticed that having cleaned the outside of my car, that the insides of the windows were a bit clarty. Normally, I wash them carefully with a damp, mildly soapy sponge, followed by a dry off with one of her tea towels which always seems to be an issue and never quite seems to get them clean, albeit much cleaner than those wipes they sell for the alleged purpose of.

Well, I hadn't got around to it when I went for my evening swim and when I returned to my car afterwards the evening sun really did show the problem.

So, a minor brainwave occurred. I wiped the inside of the glass with my damp swimming shorts and dried them off with my slightly less damp swimming towel. 3 minute job and they are sparkling with no residue.

Got home, lobbed the kit in the laundry basket as per and Robert was my father's brother.

This week has been full of surprises.
Edit - I've cleaned my numberplates with my damp swimming shorts before but never the inside glass. Maybe there's something in the pool water which leaves the the glass so clean. I want to say chlorine but it isn't that now is it? Or is it? Might be.
>> Maybe there's something in the pool water which leaves the the glass so
>> clean.

Urine?

(I'll get my coat!)
Could be you know ! Works anyway.
 Things you didn't know - NortonES2
Urine (ammonia) plus hypochlorite results in a few compounds. Includes chloroform and
Trichloramine, from memory. Not good for the lungs
Another good reason to limit the frequency of cleaning cars then.
....provides a slightly different "ambience" to Feu Orange.

(or maybe not)

;-)
 Things you didn't know - swiss tony
>> Urine (ammonia) plus hypochlorite results in a few compounds. Includes chloroform and
>> Trichloramine, from memory. Not good for the lungs
>>

Any idea what ad-blue is?

>>
>> Any idea what ad-blue is?
>>

32.50% aqueous urea solution.
>> Urine (ammonia) plus hypochlorite results in a few compounds. Includes chloroform and
>> Trichloramine,

>>

chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Ammonia.htm
 Things you didn't know - Boxsterboy

>> Give Peas a Chance is still over the M25 at Denham tho.
>>

And sadly it is always relevant. My kids love that graffiti every time we go under it!
Latest Forum Posts