Motoring Discussion > Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 12

Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - Falkirk Bairn
Looked for car service for my 2 year old CRV a few weeks back

This has prompted adverts for Honda to pop up in C4P..... and "the other side"

Interesting as one pops up telling me to go to Chathams in Edinburgh!!

Odd as Honda cut-off Chathams as a Honda franchise dealer 3 years ago and even cut them off as a service dealer last year. The former premises are now a building site for the Chathams Property Company!

Where do these adverts come from - obviously not the Honda dealer base as they are no longer Honda dealers.
 Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - Videodoctor
I have installed 'Adblock' to Chrome and now i don't get any annoying adverts popping up.It works really well.According to the program it is blocking 5 adverts on this page alone and has stopped over 28,000 since i installed it.
 Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - Falkirk Bairn
adblock - thanks for the tip - installed.
 Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - mikeyb
Forgot all about adblock when I got my new laptop. Now installed again
 Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - Crankcase
Adblock allows some advertising. Look at Adblock plus, Adblock pro and Adblock edge if you care. All are subtly different about what they do and what they gather.

There are probably other variants too.

Also look at Ghostery to see how much tracking is happening on a given page, and block that too if you want.

And finally, for the more paranoid, consider noscript, which makes your experience somewhat hobbled but does stop pretty well everything in its tracks, as well as making the more bloated pages load noticeably quicker.

I use all three on my browser at work, where it matters to me, but nothing at all on this ipad at home.

Edit

And of course, disable web history in your google account, if you have one! Otherwise it gathers the lot. Disabled mine about two years ago, and it's a bit hidden.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 15 Jul 14 at 20:22
 Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - Videodoctor
"And of course, disable web history in your google account, if you have one! Otherwise it gathers the lot. Disabled mine about two years ago, and it's a bit hidden."

Can you give us some pointers as to how delete your history from Google?
>> Can you give us some pointers as to how delete your history from Google?

support.google.com/accounts/answer/465?hl=en

and

history.google.com/history/

And for further reading, amongst millions of articles. You may well not care about any of this stuff, but it's nice to be aware. This article is a couple of years old - it's only become greater in scope since then.

www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/02/im-being-followed-how-google-151-and-104-other-companies-151-are-tracking-me-on-the-web/253758/

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 16 Jul 14 at 09:00
 Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - CGNorwich
If we all used ad blockers of course there would be no adverts and no sites like this one which is dependant on advertising for its revenue.
 Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - VxFan
^^

Wot he said.

I can't ever recall a pop up ad on C4P though that opens in a new browser window.
 Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - No FM2R
How does the website, and thus its advertisers, know whether or not an advert is blocked by a particular user?

Perhaps the question should be, *are* they able to know that an advert has been blocked?
 Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - Cliff Pope
It's probably safest to assume that "they" know everything.

But of course they knew I was going to say that.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Wed 16 Jul 14 at 08:20

>> If we all used ad blockers of course there would be no adverts and no
>> sites like this one which is dependant on advertising for its revenue.
>>

That is evident. Playing Devil's advocate, there is of course that American political group who are lobbying, simplistically anyway, to make it "illegal" in some manner not to watch TV ads, as in their view it's "theft".

There is also the much larger group, not just Americans, who argue that if a website can't make itself work without intrusive advertising then that's not the problem of everyone else, given that people don't like adverts. It's not our fault that the business model chosen is one we don't like.

As I say, for my part, at work everything is blocked as I go to many sites daily, and the whole thing is just horrible without blockers. At home, I use nothing, but only really look here, where the ads are pretty harmless. However, something like a newspaper site can be painful - you start to read the article, then the page disappears, reformats, appears smaller, disappears again, an ad pops up, it reformats again...no thank you to that nonsense.

Honda - Pop-up adverts - C4P / "the other side" etc - Mapmaker
>>given that people don't like adverts.

Really? I'm almost entirely indifferent to adverts. I seldom notice them. Though of course, I now notice that I have Hilton bimbling away at the top of this page, and Waitrose at the right. Popups are different, and I have google set to disable them. They're possibly different from straightforward advertisements because they seem to be more used by spam/scam advertising.

>>if a website can't make itself work without intrusive advertising then that's not the problem
>>of everyone else, given that people don't like adverts.

Who cares. If you don't like the website, then don't visit it. I've no idea how a website can pay for itself without either selling something, or selling advertising. Let me know how they do it?

Latest Forum Posts