Motoring Discussion > New Renault Megane Estate Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 8

New Renault Megane Estate - Zero
For work reasons, laddo is running around in a series of hire cars, and pool cars. Subsequently I have had the joy of a few weeks of test drives in a varied plethora of machinery.

Mercedes, Volvos, Fords, Seats, Toyotas, and a Renault.

The Renault Megane estate has been a revelation. Sorry, did I say revelation? I meant of course pile of poo, actually highly amusing to both he and I.

It was newish upon arrival with him. about 10k on the clock. Its stooped once for no apparent reason, the AA man managed to re-boot it. Various warning lights come on, and go out with no sensible logic, the auto wipers won't, the auto dip don't, the climate control can't. The oddments bin is now full of oddments (screws that fall out of things) the shroud around the windscreen sensor dropped onto his lap to be deposited into the door pocket now full of various bits of trim that have dropped off. He and I laugh and shrug in a gallic manner and say "Well Its a real Renault"

The sat nav however is a thing of wonder (made by tom-tom) Utterly superb in every way.

To be fair, the Brand new Toyota Prius he had just stopped one day. AA man turned up and said "Not touching it" and trailered it away, never to be seen again.

I was enamoured by the Seat Leon Sports Tourer, 2.0 TDI SE DSG, really nice wagon.
 New Renault Megane Estate - sherlock47
Well at least that Renault has not burst into flames yet:)
 New Renault Megane Estate - Avant
The Leon could be the making of SEAT. It looks good as a slightly more compact alternative to the Octavia, and quite a lot cheaper than the Golf and A3. And it can be had with the same very good VAG petrol and diesel engines - the 1.4 TSI and the 2.0 TDI.....and I think that like Skodas, SEATs have proper handbrakes, something denied to the Golf and A3.
 New Renault Megane Estate - mikeyb
FIL got the Leon just after launch - the 1.8 Tfsi in FR spec with dsg box. Its got everything on it, but I'm not sure what came as standard or was extra.

He's absolutely thrilled with it, and he's not easy to please.

Gave a lift to a friend earlier. I knew she was on the look out for a new car, and she mentioned that she had just secured a Renault Scenic........The look on my face said it all! Turns out its £250 with a few months MOT / Tax left on it from a friend. At least she will be able to weigh it in
 New Renault Megane Estate - sooty123
I quite like the new Leon, nice to see that at SEAT are making good looking cars rather than the porkers of the past few years.
 New Renault Megane Estate - PeterS
I've also experienced a few different sorts of cars recently, as I'm doing quite a bit of work in Scotland. I always book Corsa sized cars from Avis, and I have to say I've had great fun :-) it's nice experiencing the sort of car you'd never buy with your own money, or at least would be unlikely to buy...!!

The first one was a Polo 1.2 - absolutely awful engine but an OK car. Nothing went wrong with it, but it didn't even have remote locking!! Second time I actually got a Corsa. Couldn't really see why people are so negative - nice smooth engine, plenty of kit and well stuck together. A bit garish inside to be fair, but I imagine that's their target market?

The following week I struck gold - an upgrade to a MB A180 Sport. Now obviously it all felt quite familiar to me, but it was a very nice car. Quick, economical and well equipped. Bluetooth and cruise which were easy to use, and the ability to stream audio to the stereo from my phone. Just the right side of 'sporty' from a comfort perspective. Perfect :-)

That was followed by a Peugeot 308. This one was diesel, and presumably quite high spec as it too had Bluetooth and cruise, but also satnav. Most stuff was operated via a touch screen though. Now I don't know about you, but when I get in a hire car at 11:00 at night I just want to drive to the hotel. In this the climate control, stereo, Bluetooth all involved a labyrinth of menus. Very frustrating! I fact, I'd got half way to Dundee before I'd realised the rear fog light was on. And the cruise was frustration illogical... In daylight though the car itself was fine. Very well put together, very well equipped and, in a Metallicy brown colour, not bad looking...

Let's see what this week brings ;-)
 New Renault Megane Estate - mikeyb
I always enjoy picking up at Heathrow because you get to chose from what's in a certain zone. Can usually find something I fancy in amongst the Astra's
 New Renault Megane Estate - Slightlyfatdirector
I had a brand new Citroen C4 as a hire car in Corsica a couple of years ago and was seriously impressed with everything about it with the exception of higher speed cornering that felt a little wobbly and insecure. Everything else felt built to last a lifetime, with really nice plastics and electronic gizmos. A pleasant surprise.

The following year (last year) it was a new Megane and I really liked it. Nothing fell off and the engine was a proper little power-house (1.4 turbo petrol). All the electronics behaved and I agree, the Renault / TomTom set up is 1st class. Better at speed too.

The last hire car was a Captur in Munich (see separate thread) which I was very enamoured with.

Latest new car? My V70 has just been delivered on Saturday (cue rain and dirty roads to welcome it of course..). Have only done 100 miles, but well pleased so far. Will report back after a run down to Devon end of this week with the family.
 New Renault Megane Estate - PeterS
This weeks Corsa is a Citroen DS3. If only I was half my age ;-)

White with a black roof and some mean black alloys, and it's got a pokey enough Diesel engine of some sort. Reasonably well equipped - iPhone connectivity, climate and cruise. Cruise exactly the same as last weeks Peugeot, which I'd mastered by the end of the week ;-). So that's good!

Parking sensors, which are obviously critical in a roller skate sized car, along with folding mirrors. All in all not a bad little car, though I have no idea how much Citroen want for it.

Pretty nice to drive, though a bit skittish at high speed - not as stable as a Corsa or Polo at 10/10ths. Rear 3/4 vision poor though. But the controls are all intuitive, unlike last weeks Peugot, which has to be a good thing in a hire car!

Only disappointing thing is that, despite being a 14 plate, it's had a hard life. Looks like it's been used as a dodgem, with significant scuffs on all corners. Mind you , it does look a bit like a dodgem ;-)
Latest Forum Posts