Motoring Discussion > Which Dash Cam Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 29

Which Dash Cam - MD
As the subject header please. Any experiences? Some seem very cheap to me.
 Which Dash Cam - BobbyG
Martin, suggest you have a look at Techmoan.com who does some very good reviews of dashcams.

I bought a DR32 last year to use to film road trip in States and then just as a dashcam back home but it died a couple of months ago.
This guys reviews are good and he usually has an impact on the prices, good reviews usually see an increase, bad reviews see a price drop.
Many, if not all of these are coming in from China and can buy from Ebay or Amazon but in many cases you get the camera and thats it, no instructions, support or backup.
If buying another I think I would opt to buy from Amazon for a bit more security.

This is all assuming that you are looking at the budget cameras as opposed to the £300 roadhawks?
 Which Dash Cam - Fursty Ferret
Garmin!
 Which Dash Cam - Shiny
I bought a cheap £17 one from AMazon a couple of years ago, better than nothing but not as good quality as most dashcam vids you see, it also would fill up the card and stop recording and not loop even though this was ON in the settings.

A couple of weeks ago I receieved my new one, a Skybluesea G1W from
aliexpresswww.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6145766423.html for £28.
It is MUCH better. It was dashcamtalk.com that put me on to it and I am 100% happy but would probably pay a few £ more and get the G1WH revision as it is all black and has a few minor enhancements.
Last edited by: Shiny Tailpipes on Sun 20 Jul 14 at 11:37
 Which Dash Cam - Robin O'Reliant
Does that record sound Mr Tailpipes, or if it does can you turn it off? It would be a bit embarrassing when it is being played in court as proof of your innocence in an accident to have the few minutes before punctuated with, "Cor, look at the jugs on that" and other such essential driver observations.
 Which Dash Cam - Duncan
The reviews speak very well of the G1W, G1WH and G1WC. V. sensible prices too. You could to have one at the front and one at the back.

tinyurl.com/kw929t5
 Which Dash Cam - Shiny
>> Does that record sound Mr Tailpipes, or if it does can you turn it off?

Yes, you can turn off sound recording and I did for the reasons you say :)
The onlu useful thing it could be for is hearing a horn but I can live without that.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo76bkytA3o
This chap sums up the only niggles/peculiarities such as the 60fps being worse than 30fps.
Last edited by: Shiny Tailpipes on Sun 20 Jul 14 at 16:24
 Which Dash Cam - Stuartli
Quite a few webcams are basically the same OEM models rebadged, but the cheaper ones have inferior innards.
 Which Dash Cam - Robin O'Reliant
>> Quite a few webcams are basically the same OEM models rebadged, but the cheaper ones
>> have inferior innards.
>>
Bit like women, eh?
>>Bit like women, eh?>>

You clearly speak from experience....:-) :-)
 Which Dash Cam - ....
Type dashcam 803 into your favourite search engine.

I've just bought one, has all the quality of 801 plus clearer night images which are useful for winter. 801 is good, but the night images are not the best.

Permanently wired for 24/7 coverage.
 Which Dash Cam - Focusless
>> Type dashcam 803 into your favourite search engine.

eg. www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWOq62cY6U
>>eg. www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWOq62cY6U>>

But there are variations on the theme...:-)

I fully intended to buy one but finding out which was the best of the (OEM) variations proved too much of a headache to make a proper decision. Some of the cheaper models seem to prove as good as those which are far more expensive but, without actually being able to try them, it's difficult to ascertain the truth.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 21 Jul 14 at 00:13
 Which Dash Cam - Focusless
>> >>eg. www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWOq62cY6U>>
>>
>> finding out which was the best of the
>> (OEM) variations proved too much of a headache to make a proper decision.

If you (= a prospective buyer) trust the review, buy the one being reviewed (E-Prance).
>>
If you (= a prospective buyer) trust the review, buy the one being reviewed (E-Prance).>>

Yes, that came across as one of the better makes. The videos you can watch are of particular interest as a lot of them are filmed in an area I know quite well...:-)
 Which Dash Cam - VxFan
>> As the subject header please.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=16200&m=390601&v=e

Which Dash Cam - With GPS? - andyfr
Most of those on the sites mentioned don't have GPS. Does anyone have recommendations for one with GPS but without a screen?

I have seen mention on some sites that it's possible to power one from the feed to the interior light, has anyone done this?
 Which Dash Cam - With GPS? - Zero
why do you need GPS? The dash cams are for accident and incidents, - no one is going to dispute where it happened because they capture visual landmarks as well. As for speed? it's pretty clear from the footage how fast - or more likely how slow -you are going. (if you are going too fast the footage conveniently gets wiped....)

And yes, I know someone who has powered it from the interior light, but that was on an older car, your milage may vary with a fully can bus and interior lighting module. Either way it won't auto power on when you start the car, which you can do by running a separate feed. Only needs to be thin gauge - not much in the way of power passing through it.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 21 Jul 14 at 11:06
With GPS there is no denying the exact location of an incident. If someone didn't stop and then said they were nowhere near the vicinity, getting friends to back them up. I would rather have the advantage of GPS than not.
 Which Dash Cam - With GPS? - rtj70
But who's to say the GPS log wasn't altered? It's probably just a GPX file or similar, i.e. easily edited.

Unless some of these units imprint time/date, GPS location and speed on each frame. But I somehow doubt they do.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 21 Jul 14 at 12:11
 Which Dash Cam - With GPS? - BobbyG
I deliberately chose not to have gps in my budget camera as rob said it's very complicated to add it in as it's an extra file.
Also it will only ever incriminate yourself, in most cases it won't give a legal evidence of the other sides speed?
I'm beginning to see where you're coming from. Maybe I'll look for one without GPS and without a screen if possible.
 Which Dash Cam - With GPS? - rtj70
It won't even tell anyone your location or speed without there being a possibility of tampering. If it is a GPX file, it's just a text file. Okay for tracking where you've been but of little use in a court of law.

A bit like taking photos relevant to an accident on a digital camera vs film. The digital one can be altered. The negatives are much more difficult to modify.
Lidl getting in on the act now
www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=15036
 Which Dash Cam - With GPS? - Focusless
Anyone know which model it is ie. whether it's any good?
 Which Dash Cam - With GPS? - Stuartli
>> Anyone know which model it is ie. whether it's any good?>>

Is it this one?

tinyurl.com/pqnsxu6
 Which Dash Cam - With GPS? - Zero
>> >> Anyone know which model it is ie. whether it's any good?>>
>>
>> Is it this one?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/pqnsxu6

No
www.lidl-service.com/static/81807820/47583_EN_FI_SV_DA.pdf
 Which Dash Cam - With GPS? - Enderman
Latest "Which?" magazine out this week tested dashcams.

Their tests indicated the best was the NextBase 402G professional, at near £150, but they were also impressed by the performance of the Transcend DrivePro 200 for about £80.

Which Dash Cam - With GPS? - Stuartli
>> Is it this one?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/pqnsxu6

No"

You had me puzzled when I read this about 15 minutes ago as the similar model example I provided was basically the same housing and appearance.

However, on clicking on the link again, a different model comes up, so I can only assume that the Amazon seller has changed the original model offering...:-(

I've had another look through dozens of Amazon dash cam offerings but not had the same luck in finding it.
Latest Forum Posts