Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - 2012 2.0TDI Automatic - any thoughts? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 8

Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - 2012 2.0TDI Automatic - any thoughts? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Eyeing up a 2012 Tiguan 2.0 diesel with autobox. 14k miles on the clock. Looks as good as new. Only slight concern is its 19-inch wheels - probably not good for comfort, or lengthy tyre life? Anyone own/drive a Tiguan, and if so how do you find it? Cheers, N.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - 2012 2.0TDI Automatic - any thoughts? - rtj70
Not tried a Tiguan but it's not an auto box. It's a DSG. Maybe that doesn't bother you. It wouldn't bother me if I liked the car.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - 2012 2.0TDI Automatic - any thoughts? - idle_chatterer
IIRC the DSG in the Tiguan (4wd variants anyhow) is the DQ500 which is the heavy duty 'box used in transporter vans, Audis etc. It's a wet clutch design (like that in the Golf 2.0CR and GTi) but with 7 gears instead of 6.

I read somewhere that it's considered to be too heavy (and bulky) for fitment in the Golf.

Having driven in NZ I don't think that 19" wheels would be on my options list, I note that most Australian derivatives have 16" wheels with the top-of-range model having 17" wheels.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - 2012 2.0TDI Automatic - any thoughts? - Boxsterboy
I've got the 7-speed DSG box on my Transporter and it's been fine so far (20,000 miles). Which was the DSG box which had the recent recall to change the fluid from synthetic to mineral in hot and dusty climates?
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - 2012 2.0TDI Automatic - any thoughts? - Dave_
I borrowed our sales rep's 2014 Tiguan TDI DSG for a 100-mile errand a couple of weeks ago. Perfectly decent example of VW engineering IMO, although its regular pilot complained it was a bit thirsty. I got 40mpg without trying and coaxed the computer up to 47mpg by the time I returned, just to annoy him.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - 2012 2.0TDI Automatic - any thoughts? - rtj70
I first tried a Passat CC as DSG - a very brief test drive. Not long enough to get used to a DSG but did notice was of the delays some report (easy to get used to or avoid) but I was put off a DSG variant because: (1) higher list price hence higher BIK, (2) higher emissions hence even higher BIK and (3) the auto hold made it difficult to creep. Of those, (3) was easily overcome but I didn't know it wasn't a DSG trait at the time (short demo).

I then had a Golf GT DSG diesel demo for a day. It was okay but again list price higher. And i think emissions too. So a manual would be better.

I get my first DSG petrol 1.4T Audi in November - I hope. Emissions the same as a 2.0 diesel manual. Same/similar list price. But no 3% BIK charge.

My first company car was a 80PS Astra 1.4 auto. It drank fuel and I got it into a different category for expenses. It was either very slow or used fuel.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - 2012 2.0TDI Automatic - any thoughts? - idle_chatterer
>> Which was the DSG box which had the recent recall to change the
>> fluid from synthetic to mineral in hot and dusty climates?
>>

This is the DQ200 - the dry clutch derivative. The oil change in question is within the mechatronic unit (synthetic oil corroding the electrical wiring in warm climates). The clutches in this unit do not run in oil which gives less drag and faster changes but can have overheating problems. This unit is 'limited' to lower power/torque derivatives - the 1.2TSi, 1.4TSi and 1.6CR, AFAIK it's not fitted to the Tiguan and the 1.4TSi (twincharger) engine isn't sold in NZ given the lack of 98RON fuel ?

The DQ200 is still being fitted to the new Golf, Seat, Polo, Audi models.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Wed 23 Jul 14 at 04:36
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - 2012 2.0TDI Automatic - any thoughts? - NeilS
I have a 2013 2.0 CR 140 bhp with DSG. I've had it 3 months and 8,000 miles. At sensible motorway speeds i.e. 75mph it will return 45mpg. Around town where I don't send much time I get low 30s. I find it very refined, quiet and comfortable and the DSG box works perfectly, quick, smooth and changing when I'd want to myself. The car is quick enough most of the time but every now and again I've thought maybe the 177 bhp would be useful! It isn't a big car, we have a Hyundai Santa Fe and that feels twice the size and the boot probably is that or more! Only real criticism I have is the brakes aren't as good as the rest of the car and a few times early on I've had to brake hard and had a squeaky bottom moment when the car didn't stop as soon as I wanted or expected. A mild remap and some better brake pads are on my Santa list.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - 2012 2.0TDI Automatic - any thoughts? - Manatee
>>It isn't a big car, we have a Hyundai Santa Fe and that feels twice the size and the boot probably is that or more!

Yes - I looked at one when I bought the Outlander and was surprised how relatively small it is.

The Skoda Yeti is said to be a version of the Tiguan, but manages to look smaller.
Latest Forum Posts