Motoring Discussion > driving licence wallet Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 45

driving licence wallet - zookeeper
hi room, just received my new driving licence ( change of address) obviously they dont
send a wallet to put it in but the old one is a bit tatty
is there something a bit smarter than the post office ones on the market
cheers... zoo
 driving licence wallet - Duncan
>> hi room, just received my new driving licence ( change of address) obviously they dont
>> send a wallet to put it in but the old one is a bit tatty
>>
>> is there something a bit smarter than the post office ones on the market
>> cheers... zoo
>>

Why would you want to put a plastic card in a wallet?

Or do you mean the paper bit? I never carry that. If you get stopped the OB know your record from the PNC.
arent you suppose to keep the paper bit and the id card together?
 driving licence wallet - Zero
>> arent you suppose to keep the paper bit and the id card together?
>>

Waste of time carting it around. Last time I got stopped I just gave the fuzz the card. They were quite happy with that
>>
>>
Paper counterpart abolished from Jan 1 2015.

I tell you, it's the end of civilisation as we know it!

www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes
 driving licence wallet - henry k
>> I tell you, it's the end of civilisation as we know it!
>>
>> www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes
>>
and no more Guinness labels on the windscreen!

www.gov.uk/government/news/direct-debit-and-abolition-of-the-tax-disc

A whole industry making tax disk holders destroyed
 driving licence wallet - henry k
Dupe. please delete.
Last edited by: henry k on Fri 25 Jul 14 at 17:13
>> Dupe. please delete.
>>

henry, surely your link refers to the "Tax Disc", while my link refers to the "Paper Counterpart" of the driving licence?

Or have I missed the point?
 driving licence wallet - Harleyman
Double post, admin please delete.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 25 Jul 14 at 21:00
>>
>>

I have to at work; company instruction supposedly to comply with what VOSA have told them, though I can't find anything in writing on the legal side and I suspect it's a bit of "gold plating" by someone in an office with nothing else to do. Always take the counterpart when travelling abroad too but never bother if I'm in my own car or on the bike; always carry the plastic bit though.

I do have to carry my DCPC (Driver Certificate of Professional Competence) card with me at all times when I'm driving a commercial vehicle on pain of death; this, for those who don't know, is the document which attests that I have spent seven hours every year sitting in a hot classroom listening to an ex-driver waffle through a prepared lecture, with no test at the end of it, and it confirms that by doing this I am somehow better equipped to drive a lorry. In other words, it's like an NVQ and about as much use as a chocolate teapot in the real world.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 25 Jul 14 at 20:59
 driving licence wallet - Fullchat
".....which attests that I have spent seven hours every year sitting in a hot classroom listening to an ex-driver waffle through a prepared lecture, with no test at the end of it,......"

You sat in on one of Pat's gigs then? :)))))
>> ".....which attests that I have spent seven hours every year sitting in a hot classroom
>> listening to an ex-driver waffle through a prepared lecture, with no test at the end
>> of it,......"
>>
>> You sat in on one of Pat's gigs then? :)))))

In fairness to Pat, she'd have probably made the experience a lot more interesting. I've met her and know how passionate she is about raising standards in the transport industry.

I actually feel some sympathy for the trainers; lorry drivers are a notoriously bad audience, culturally classroom lectures are considered a poor substitute for hands-on experience.

driving licence wallet - Pat
>> a poor substitute for hands-on experience<<

We have ropes attached to a board to teach dolly knots and had ratchet strap demonstrations across the tables the other week....in fact we re-named it 'The Bondage Course'!

You're right about the driving licence though HM, it is your company's policy not law at the moment, though expect that to change shortly.

Pat

>> You're right about the driving licence though HM, it is your company's policy not law
>> at the moment, though expect that to change shortly.
>>

Hopefully not before the paper counterparts become history. I really, really want to see the look of total fury on the face of the jumped-up carphound who's our so-called "driver trainer" when I tell him I've burned it and there's nothing he can do about it.
The paper bit goes in the drawer, never to be seen again. Went to Spain last month, hired a car there, didn't even bother to pack the paper part as it never gets looked at.
whats the point of the paper bit then?
so you can show your convictions to your mates.
 driving licence wallet - Roger.
>> whats the point of the paper bit then?
>>
To give work to the DVLA.
 driving licence wallet - Mike H
>> The paper bit goes in the drawer, never to be seen again. Went to Spain
>> last month, hired a car there, didn't even bother to pack the paper part as
>> it never gets looked at.
>>
AFAIK the UK is the only EU country that has this bizarre notion of the "paper part". They probably don't ask for it because they don't know it exists! Certainly here in Austria all I've got is the bit of plastic.
 driving licence wallet - VxFan
>> is there something a bit smarter than the post office ones on the market

bit.ly/WtkWC7

;)
4.99 ..think il stick in me old then
>> >> is there something a bit smarter than the post office ones on the market
>>
>> bit.ly/WtkWC7
>>
>> ;)
>>

Grumpy mode on

Wouldn't it have been simpler to just post the link? All that "Let Me GOOGLE That For You" cobblers!

Bah! Humbug!

And some of the suppliers don't know the difference between 'licence' and 'license'!

Grrrr!

Grumpy mode off.

>> Grumpy mode off.

You are the cheap model that only has one mode.......
I do pedant mode as well!
 driving licence wallet - Crankcase
Last time I wanted to hire a van in the UK was 2008, and they wouldn't play without the paper bit. Not at all. Has that changed?

I don't need to hire a van but have absolutely no clue where the paper bit is right now. Be a major undertaking to find it in a box. Probably in the East Wing somewhere.

driving licence wallet - sherlock47
5 years ago Hertz, (or at least an individual desk jockey), at Carcassonne Airport were refusing hire without the paper part. A faxed copy ultimately sufficed, but it took an overnight stay in a local hotel.
 driving licence wallet - CGNorwich
"Probably in the East Wing somewhere."

The Housekeeper will know. Just ring the bell.
 driving licence wallet - sherlock47
>> "Probably in the East Wing somewhere."
>>
>> The Housekeeper will know. Just ring the bell.
>>

surely you have somebody else to ring the bell?

and why a licence, when the chauffeur drives, and collects the points :)
 driving licence wallet - VxFan
>> Wouldn't it have been simpler to just post the link?

Posting the LMGTFY link spoils the surprise though, hence why I used the masked version.

>> Grumpy mode off.

Good.
 driving licence wallet - Stuartli
>>And some of the suppliers don't know the difference between 'licence' and 'license'!>>

Just a few of us are the only ones who can "c" the difference...:-)
 driving licence wallet - Auristocrat
Still have the old style paper driving licence rather than the photocard. Valid until 2026 and doesn't cause problems with car hire, etc.
 driving licence wallet - sooty123
useful for hiring cars in this country and abroad. Asked for it every time abroad, plus we have to show it every year at to make sure we haven't been banned or picked up too many points.
 driving licence wallet - Slidingpillar
I had to have a photocard, despite not moving and my entitlements not changing. Had to surrender the licence for medical reasons, and they just chuck your paper one away given half a chance.

Only plus point is I didn't pay as licences issued for medical reasons are free.
>> useful for hiring cars in this country and abroad. Asked for it every time abroad,

Not been asked for it, ever, and I hire abroad at least two or three times a year. Not asked for it in the uk the last three times I hired.
 driving licence wallet - R.P.
bellroy.com

I have one of these - their slimiest. Bought it with birthday money - not cheap - but it does do exactly what it says on tin. Don't carry your licence on you unless you have to. Great piece of the Identity theft tool kit. Name address, date of birth all in one official place. The paper part is to be phased out according to the news.

Don't carry your
>> licence on you unless you have to. Great piece of the Identity theft tool kit.
>> Name address, date of birth all in one official place.

No I don't when going to some places *ahem* off the beaten track, it's best not to carry it. I get an IDP and produce that when required with Police etc. Sometimes can be 'difficult' to get it back and can't always wait about if we have to shoot off. No drama leaving the IDP behind.
Probably just different rules for different companies, I'm abroad with work a similar number of times a year. Not a drama really just one of those little things.
 driving licence wallet - CGNorwich
I hire quite a lot too - Rare to be asked for it overseas although I have been asked once - I think it was Hertz somewhere in France. Have just booked a car for a trip to Vancouver in September. Canadian Affair through whom I booked make a point of reminding you to take the counterpart with you but I doubt very much that the hire company will ask for it when I pick up the car.

driving licence wallet - R.P.
www.computerworlduk.com/news/public-sector/3531711/paper-driving-licence-be-abolished-in-january-2015/
I didn't know they were getting rid of it. It'll be nice to not have to faff about bringing it when i go away nor having to bring it into work. But I'm sure they'll think of something to replace it *sigh*.
Excellent. Tried the web link, and it found me ok, and all looked as it should, so that was good.

Forgot I have a "provisional" dating from 1979 to drive "any size motorcycle", although never having sat on one I have no idea what that would mean in practice. Can I stick an L plate on 1250 beast and roar off into the sunset legally?

Also forgot the darned licence expires next year as the ten years thing is up and a new photo has to be done, so have made a note to remember in 11 months time I might need to actually do something.

All in all a useful resource that.
Ah yes, good to see I can still drive

Category H
Description

You can drive tracked vehicles

Category : G
Description

You can drive a road roller

Yet to drive a road roller or a tank tho.
www.recruitandtrain.com/training/construction/sit_on_roller.html
www.tankdriving.co.uk/
>> www.recruitandtrain.com/training/construction/sit_on_roller.html

I don't need training! my license says I am qualified!
 driving licence wallet - Alastairw
EBay is the place for this sort of thing. Picked up a new wallet a few weeks ago, due to losing mine.

Incidentally, very good service from DVLA replacing my photo card licence. Simple online application and £20 with no credit card surcharge the replacement arrived within the week. Might have been more complicated if I didn't already have a photo card licence, as I don't have a passport which they would have used for the photo.
 driving licence wallet - NeilS
Stopped 5 years ago on way to Bordeaux at a fair chunk over the limit (speed wise) and the photo ID licence was all that was asked for. No insurance check, no lights, no vests, no ownership docs, just 90 euros merci beaucoup!
Latest Forum Posts