Motoring Discussion > 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 11

'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - bathtub tom
I bought some new tyres recently. Taking the wheels off for a general look around before the MOT, I noticed this on the tread: www.generaltire.eu/www/generaltire_eu_en/themes/fd_brand/monitor_technology.html

I suppose it's only useful for folk that bother to llok at their tyres.
 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - Stuartli
My VW's Continental Sport Contact S2/S3 tyres (two of each) have very clearly defined tyre wear monitors which can be easily seen and checked, but your link's tyres go much further
 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - Mike Hannon
My first Honda Accord, back in 1982, had a warning light on the fascia for what was labelled 'tyre rot'. It intrigued me mightily until I read the handbook.
I don't suppose anyone would dare suggest rotating tyres around a vehicle these days.
 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - Slidingpillar
I dare!

Sensible on proper four wheel drive vehicles. Otherwise you work the central differential harder.

I'd argue sensible on most 2wds as well. Not that by doing so offers much, if any, of an advantage to grip etc, but the fact you replace four tyres at once so preserving the handling balance as designed.
 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - Zero
depends what you mean by rotation. In my case when the fronts are worn to 3mm, they go on the back, and new ones go on the front. That way you get the most wear out of all tyres, and you only need to buy two at a time.
 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - Duncan
>> In my case when the fronts are worn to 3mm, they go on the back, and new ones go on the front. That way you get the most

accidents.
 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - Zero
>> >> In my case when the fronts are worn to 3mm, they go on the
>> back, and new ones go on the front. That way you get the most
>>
>> accidents.
>

BUZZZ WRONG

Next contestant.
 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - CGNorwich
>> >> In my case when the fronts are worn to 3mm, they go on the
>> back, and new ones go on the front. That way you get the most ....

Nectar points?

'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - tyrednemotional
>> >> >> In my case when the fronts are worn to 3mm, they go on
>> the
>> >> back, and new ones go on the front. That way you get the most
>> ....
>>
.....people challenging you?

;-)
 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - Mike Hannon
I do it as well, Zed.
I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it...
 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - Runfer D'Hills
I've done that on all my cars until I got one with different sized tyres front to rear and now can't obviously.

Let's see now, 40 odd cars, 1.5 million miles or so, 39 years of driving all over the UK, Europe and the Americas, in all weathers ( without the 'benefit' of winter tyres either ) sans hanging about, how many "accidents" ?

Erm, none actually. Not even a parking scrape. So far anyway.

Must have been jolly lucky eh?

;-)
 'Replacement tire monitor' on new tyres - Fenlander
I've mostly stopped rotating tyres due to the inevitable outer shoulder wear on the fronts, particularly on front wheel drive. When tyres with such wear, but still with an overall depth of around 3mm, are on the rear I don't think they make great wet weather tyres.

It's a pair exactly like that which the previous owner rotated a few thousand mls ago I've just replaced with new Michelins on daughters Polo.
Latest Forum Posts