Motoring Discussion > Caught on camera Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 18

Caught on camera - VxFan
Police van shunts into man's car.

A police officer has apologised after reversing a police van into a car parked in a Hampshire street.

CCTV footage posted on Facebook by the car's owner, Andy Garrad, showed the officer reversing the van into his Fiat 500, seemingly without looking.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-28442896
youtu.be/suxE8FNfkog?list=PLw-hl0ONk3xeteM-P6twkK6VuhfonCWQq

Whenever I've driven a van, I've always checked what's behind me before even getting into the van. To me it's common sense to check your blind spots.

Caught on camera - Slidingpillar
I must admit I nearly reversed a van into a car. Had a passerby not got agitated, I would have.

However in my case, I was going to put the van in an empty car park space and a stupid driver nipped in the space I'd just sized up. Not at all visible in mirrors or the rear window. And the angle of the van made it obvious I was going to reverse into the space.

Only consolation was if the car driver made a habit of driving like that, they'd collect quite a few dents.
 Caught on camera - Fenlander
>>>To me it's common sense to check your blind spots.

Yes and so do I but now and again a low speed accident can happen to the best of us and as it seems the Police have admitted responsibility and apologised it's pretty pathetic to upload the images/footage to social media.
 Caught on camera - bathtub tom
Dare I say hairstyle would suggest a WPC? The dents on the nearside would suggest other impacts.
 Caught on camera - ....
>> it's pretty pathetic to upload the images/footage to social media.
>>
What's not clear is if the van driver had just driven off or if they had owned up to it at the time?
I'm not sure from the news link.
 Caught on camera - Manatee
That wasn't a tentative touch. Looked out of control to me. I thought the van went about half way, then speeded up.
 Caught on camera - Fullchat
"...it's pretty pathetic to upload the images/footage to social media."

Agreed. And she's was parked half on the footpath. The shame of it all. Sack her I say.

You can tell by the footage she is leaning against the back of the van coughing her misdemeanor on the radio, " Sarge you know that application to Traffic I put in your tray? Well ............. "

Happens to the best of us.
 Caught on camera - BobbyG
Just as high level brake lights, rear fog lights etc became compulsory then so should reversing sensors on vans.
What the eyes and mirrors cant tell you, your ears can.

That clip was in a housing estate, if she couldnt see the 500, what chance would a kid have had?
 Caught on camera - Pat
It does happen to the best of us, regardless of gender or profession.

Most of us can recall that moment when something happens and you stand and look at it with the horrible sinking feeling that it was entirely your fault!

Her body language is so familiar;)

Pat
 Caught on camera - Zero
>> >>>To me it's common sense to check your blind spots.
>>
>> Yes and so do I but now and again a low speed accident can happen
>> to the best of us and as it seems the Police have admitted responsibility and
>> apologised it's pretty pathetic to upload the images/footage to social media.

Lets take the stripes off the van, and the uniform off the driver and look at it for what it is.

Its a pretty crappy careless piece of driving. Quite common place and not worthy of mention,

Now lets put the stripes and uniform back on, it becomes pretty amusing and unusual example of a crappy careless piece of driving, which is why someone bothered to post the video, why someone bothered to post the link on here, and why we are all discussing it. There is no malice in it, no-one was hurt - so no real harm in publishing it.

Police forces generally, around the globe, have not coped well with the rise in cameras and the spread and speed of social media, their general reaction and response has always been overly defensive and hostile. In this case a filmed incident happened, the public police response was open, honest and fast so in my opinion its a positive outcome.

Its nothing compared to the stick she is getting in the nick canteen.

>>>Quite common place and not worthy of mention,

That far I agree... so no need to share the footage.
 Caught on camera - CGNorwich
I guess now that everyone had a video camera in their phone and dashcams are becoming popular we should all expect and accept the fact that any errors or indiscretion we commit might end up on YouTube.

Caught on camera - Crankcase
With the advent of Google Glass you can expect that any interaction with a human being outside your own home may end up on youtube.
 Caught on camera - Zero
>> With the advent of Google Glass you can expect that any interaction with a human
>> being outside your own home may end up on youtube.
>>
>>>you can expect that any interaction with a human being outside your own home may end up on youtube.

Indeed... ghastly thought.

All that talk decades ago of state big brother and it's turned out the (small minded) citizen is more likely to intrude on your existence.
 Caught on camera - ....
Wasn't the mantra 'if you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to fear'?

As usual what was intended for one purpose has now overshot and taken on a new form.
 Caught on camera - Zero
And we have the explosion of cheap drone camera platforms to come yet.
Yes... I see that our local estate agents are using one for their prestige properties.

I'm a bit sensitive to all this as in our teen girls circles we've already seen the massive pressure that can be put on children/young adults from images/footage of an everyday event uploaded to social media. I'm not talking about the sleazy stuff either... just unfortunately captured moments that cause the less than confident to want to curl up and die when their failings are paraded for all to see.

The smartphone has become as much weapon as benefit in some ways.
 Caught on camera - Zero

>> >>>Quite common place and not worthy of mention,
>>
>> That far I agree... so no need to share the footage.

Except police vans reversing into fiat 500's is not at all common place now is it.
Latest Forum Posts