Motoring Discussion > This won't help AC's blood pressure Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 4

This won't help AC's blood pressure - Crankcase
I think the link says it all, no need to actually read it. Probably coming to a village near you soon enough, if it hasn't already.

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Villages-plan-20mph-limits-hot-on-heels-of-Cambridges-citywide-scheme-20140728073010.htm

At this rate my 11 mile commute will go from an hour to three. I'd go on the bus but I worked out I'd need a 5k pay rise to keep the same take home income, and that's not going to happen in my lifetime.

In town, I'm often torn between "blow it, I'm doing 30 anyway" and knowing the instant I do it'll be the day they're checking, or holding up a stream of traffic in the hope everyone will get so grumpy they will vote for the limit removal. Like that will happen. And sometimes, when mellow, I just do 20 like the nice signs tell me to.
 This won't help AC's blood pressure - Cliff Pope
>>
>> At this rate my 11 mile commute will go from an hour to three.
>>

If your average speed is at present 11mph, why would a 20mph speed limit make it slower?
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Mon 28 Jul 14 at 08:17
 This won't help AC's blood pressure - Crankcase
>> If your average speed is at present 11mph, why would a 20mph speed limit make
>> it slower?
>>

What do you want from me at this time in the morning, arithmetic? It just will, ok? :)

Yours,

Captain Hyperbole.

This won't help AC's blood pressure - WillDeBeest
Felt the same way yesterday, Cranks, on the A329(M), a road which has the great merit of bypassing Reading - although with the drawback that it then neglects to bypass Bracknell as well. There's a contraflow past Winnersh - no actual work going on, but that's another thread - and the limit goes from 70 to 50 on the approach.

Fair enough, but for the contraflow itself - and a good bit of clear dual carriageway before it - the limit is 30. 40 I could understand, but 30 is for roads with houses, shops and pedestrians, not for temporarily restricted motorway. I couldn't do it, and settled - in the apparent absence of cameras - for about 38. I'll let you know if I find out I judged it wrong.
}:---€
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 28 Jul 14 at 08:18
 This won't help AC's blood pressure - AlastiarM
If your average is 11 mph, this doesn't mean you are doing 11 mph all the time it means you may be doing a variety od speeds from 0 to whatever the speed limit is. So if the speed limit drops from 30 to 20 this will mean that you are unable to spend any of the journey time doing any speeds from 21-30 (in this case) so you average speed will decrease and the journey time will increase.
Latest Forum Posts