Motoring Discussion > Diesel drivers could incur extra charges Green Issues
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 18

Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - VxFan
Cars with diesel engines could incur new charges and higher taxes as part of efforts to lower air pollution levels in Britain’s towns and cities.

They would have to pay an extra £10 on top of the normal congestion zone charge to enter central London, which could come into force as early as 2020.

Charge diesel car drivers more road tax.

tinyurl.com/qy7qjm5 - The Telegraph.

Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - WillDeBeest
...which could come into force as early as 2020.

Gosh, could be as little as six years, two general and two mayoral elections away. Still, never too soon for a bit of Persecuted Motorist spheroids.
 Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - Old Navy
This is just making more vehicles liable for charges under the existing scheme. The Low Emission Zone ANPR cameras have been in place for years.

www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 4 Aug 14 at 08:17
 Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - henry k
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11009290/More-misery-for-diesel-drivers.html

Diesel drivers face further penalties due to a crackdown on vehicles left idling outside school gates and on shopping runs as part of attempts to meet European environmental targets.

Islington Council last week announced it is to clamp down on drivers who leave their engines running in stationary vehicles, with on the spot fines for those deemed to be causing unnecessary pollution

Stop start buses, taxis and trucks ?
 Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - Zero
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11009290/More-misery-for-diesel-drivers.html
>>
>> Diesel drivers face further penalties due to a crackdown on vehicles left idling outside school
>> gates

Easy, Ban all parking within 1/2 mile of school gates during certain times. Cut down the idling diesel threat, and the kids get enforced exercise. Win Win situation.
 Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - CGNorwich
"Easy, Ban all parking within 1/2 mile of school gates during certain times."

That would ban all parking in any area where schools are less than half a mile apart i.e most of the South East and every large conurbation.

Perhaps not such a good idea. ;-)

>> "Easy, Ban all parking within 1/2 mile of school gates during certain times."
>>
>> That would ban all parking in any area where schools are less than half a
>> mile apart i.e most of the South East and every large conurbation.
>>
>> Perhaps not such a good idea. ;-)

Makes it an even better idea surely?
 Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - CGNorwich

"Makes it an even better idea surely?"

Only if I am exempt from the ban.
 Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - BiggerBadderDave
And these guys too.

tinyurl.com/obxnx88
>> And these guys too.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/obxnx88

It allows the police vehicles to keep the computer booted up to allow the control centre to know the exact location at any time of the vehicle, and to tell them where to go. When the engine is switched off it takes about seven minutes to boot up the computer.

SEVEN MINUTES TO BOOT UP? what kind of crap system is that?
 Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - ....
>> SEVEN MINUTES TO BOOT UP? what kind of crap system is that?
>>
One that allows you to go and get the kebabs without being tracked.
>> >> SEVEN MINUTES TO BOOT UP? what kind of crap system is that?
>> >>
>> One that allows you to go and get the kebabs without being tracked.

clearly.
 Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - VxFan
>> Islington Council last week announced it is to clamp down on drivers who leave their
>> engines running in stationary vehicles

Oxford did this a couple of years ago for buses & coaches.

www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/decN/newsarticle.htm?newsarticle_itemid=47906

Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - Alastairw
Stop start on most new busses now. Probably taxis too.

About 20 years ago my local bus company used to leave a bus idling overnight in the winter to avoid issues with cold starting the ancient busses they used.
 Diesel drivers could incur extra charges - madf
>> Stop start on most new busses now. Probably taxis too.
>>
>> About 20 years ago my local bus company used to leave a bus idling overnight
>> in the winter to avoid issues with cold starting the ancient busses they used.

As a student living near a bus garage in the 1960s in Aberdeen, I can confirm that 1960s coaches on cold winter nights required what seemed like hours of churning to start them any time between 12pm and 5 am...Kept me awake many cold nights...
Why is the focus solely on the roads?

Surely, having 5 international airports on the doorstep must be contributing something?

Is there another city in Europe which has five airports so close?

How have other European cities introduced LEZ for Euro IV and above where London has gone straight for Euro VI for diesels?
Euro V petrol cars have the same Particulate Matter allowance as a Euro V diesel?

Weren't PMs supposed to be really bad for humans and the reason DPF was forced on diesel engine cars. Now here we are saying if you have a GDi petrol then it's OK, you can have the same allowance as diesel but without the particle filter (DPF equipped diesels also have a cat in the exhaust).
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 4 Aug 14 at 18:11
>> Why is the focus solely on the roads?
>>
>> Surely, having 5 international airports on the doorstep must be contributing something?
>>
>> Is there another city in Europe which has five airports so close?

5? London air is trapped in Thames Valley. Only two air corridors low enough to trap air there, LHR & LCY.

LGW is well south of the North Downs & STN and LTN are well north of the valley. Has to be said tho that LHR provides its fair share of pollution.
I don't know the specifics of London air, geographically it's pretty much covered from most sides by airports.

You can guarantee when the European labmeisters take an air quality reading it won't be the day after the met office have issued a Michael Fish hurricane all clear warning, more likely after a few days stagnant air.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 4 Aug 14 at 18:46
>> I don't know the specifics of London air, geographically it's pretty much covered from most
>> sides by airports.
>>
>> You can guarantee when the European labmeisters take an air quality reading it won't be
>> the day after the met office have issued a Michael Fish hurricane all clear warning,
>> more likely after a few days stagnant air.

The worse air quality in London is at Oxford Circus and Oxford St - Almost entirely caused by buses.
Latest Forum Posts