Motoring Discussion > DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? Legal Questions
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 23

DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Armel Coussine
My tax disc ran out on 30 June. I applied for a new one by telephone on the 26th. It didn't turn up. Later I called again and the DVLA person said she would send me another one. It didn't turn up either. Next time I called she was apologetic, but told me I am liable for a pull because the '14 days grace period' has expired! I could get one issued over the counter at the post office in Redhill, I was told.

Today at 1.30 I set off for Redhill, some 30 miles or more away. There are two routes and I chose the wrong one. On the tightest bend on the A29, not far from Dorking from where I would have turned off for Redhill, there were blue lights and uniforms, and cars turning round and going back. A motorcyclist had come off on the bend and gone under a tanker, a bloke told me. The motorcyclist had got up and was in the ambulance, but I know from experience that these delays in awkward places are very open-ended indeed. Herself needs the jalopy at 4 for some nipper ferrying. Had I waited I could have been late, or had to rush back at top speed which is stressful what with all the mimsers and Surrey blondes in lumbering mimsing oriental jeeps.

So we have to take our chances for another day or so. Who do we sue if we get fined (and for the petrol I've wasted today): the DVLA, the Post Office or ourselves?

- Outraged, West Sussex
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - sherlock47
1 - have they had your money?
2 - have you checked on line to see if it shows as taxed? www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

if yes and ye,s you can only be done for' failing to display' - do they bother anymore?
Yes and yes, obviously. But an out of date tax disc is liable to bring wasps. And we know what they are like.

DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - commerdriver
Sherlock is spot on, I have never heard of anyone in recent years being done for non display. Maybe one of the reducing band of constabulary on here might like to comment.
Why didn't you do it online, at least you have the confirmation email to wave if you need it.
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Alanovich
Strange things are obviously afoot in Swanseashire. I tried to renew online on Sunday, the system was misbehaving and I couldn't do it. Went through fine on Monday, haven't had the disc yet though.

It's always been flawless and quick online. Not any more, maybe.
>> never heard of anyone in recent years being done for non display. Maybe one of the reducing band of constabulary on here

I'm sure the modern policeman is too important for this lightweight stuff. But those parking people are another matter. They aren't called wasps for nothing.
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - CGNorwich
"They aren't called wasps for nothing."

You mean jaspers
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - sherlock47
>> Yes and yes, obviously. But an out of date tax disc is liable to bring
>> wasps. And we know what they are like.
>>
>>
>>

AC - of all the contributors on this site, I would have thought that you were the most likely to suceed in diverting the attentions of a sting operation:)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 31 Jul 14 at 16:00
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - rtj70
It's not that many weeks away now when the tax disc is no longer issued anyway. All on the computers at DVLA and PNC.
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Cliff Pope
>> It's not that many weeks away now when the tax disc is no longer issued
>> anyway.
>>

Any year now, the DVLA will think of the concept of "Auto-renewal". It might work for insurance too

Some ideas are just ahead of their time - like the PO inventing card-readers at checkouts, or the Royal Mail discovering that the man who delivers the post could also collect it.

:)
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Stuartli
>>Some ideas are just ahead of their time - like the PO inventing card-readers at checkouts, or the Royal Mail discovering that the man who delivers the post could also collect it.>>

Are you sure that you are not confusing Royal Mail Parcels with your postman?
>> It's not that many weeks away now when the tax disc is no longer issued anyway. All on the computers at DVLA and PNC.

You'd think the carphounds would have the sense to let us know. But there's another side to it:

'I've got the trophy for the last failure-to-display summons! 12 seconds before expiry! You should have seen the geezer's face!'
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 31 Jul 14 at 20:54
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Duncan
>> It's not that many weeks away now when the tax disc is no longer issued
>> anyway. All on the computers at DVLA and PNC.
>>

I have just had the Tax Didc renewal notice for my LEC.

Are they going to continue to send out renewal notices in the future?
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Stuartli
You are allowed (IIRC) up to five days grace if you renew on-line to allow for postal delivery (or even postal delivery delays).
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Avant
I renewed SWMBO's Mini tax at the weekend (costs the same as my Octavia vRS, which I suppose is fair enough as it uses more petrol). The first button I clicked produced an endless 'waiting for response' so I tried what they call the new 'beta' system - meaning, it said, that it was still being developed. It worked fine, quicker than the old system, so I'd recommend it....provided of course that the disc actually arrives in the post.

The Octavia's tax is due for renewal at the end of October - so with luck I won't need the piece of paper any more for this one.
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Alanovich
Mine arrived yesterday, Avant. IT was the Beta system which fell over on me on Sunday, the original worked on Monday. Is that the last ever tax disc I'll need now? My other car's disc runs out on 30 November.
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Aretas
In the 70s I was stopped for having an out of date tax disc. The new one was in the car - just hadn't bothered to insert it. The sent me on my way.

As an aside, the reason they spotted it was because I was going so slowly. At my destination I discovered a split in the rubber needle support of the Stromberg carb. A sticking plaster got us home.
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Harleyman
Haven't bothered putting the tax discs on the bikes for the last two years; well I did on the Electraglide but used a car-type holder to stick it inside the windscreen, lasted all of ten miles.

Police are more concerned with your number plate being a few millimetres too small these days; when I got pulled for that a few months ago, wasn't till I'd got home that I realised that the new tax disc was still stuck onto the fridge by a magnet, plod hadn't even bothered to check!
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - CGNorwich
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVfsY8dWhFM
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - R.P.
Taxed one of the bikes - tool a week or more to arrive. We've had the V5 for the Motorhome for a while - tax disc was due to follow but not appeared. .gov shows it as taxed which is all I care really. Pick it up tomorrow tax disc or not.
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Alastairw
So it wasn't you behind me at Tescos tonight swearing about 'pay at pump' then RP? He was driving a brand new Ducato based motorhome. Awful lot of POWER logos on the grill - he parked very close to the rear of my car.
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - R.P.
That'll be tomorrow ! One thing I've developed is forecourt patience with my works van. I have a diesel filler on one side and a petrol filler on the other. I could get very angry at the antics of the motorists at filing stations. I have the patience of a saint though.
>> One thing I've developed is forecourt patience

Who hasn't, perforce?

You drive up to the pumps on the right side. They are all wearing noli-me-tangere plastic condom things. If there isn't a car behind you you then reverse and try another lot of pumps. If you have to you can drag the hose across to the wrong side of the car but it's a drag. And even with the jalopy doing 35mpg you're lucky if herself's card, or yours at a pinch, escapes with a hit of less than 50 quid.

It takes more than patience if you ax me innit?

Where have you been RP? I thought you'd done a runner like all those other cats.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 8 Aug 14 at 00:39
 DVLA, Post Office or Muggins? - Avant
Look at recent posts on Fenlander's Polo thread to see where the cats have gone....
Latest Forum Posts