Motoring Discussion > Daytime running lights Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wazza Replies: 27

Daytime running lights - wazza
Is it true that all cars next year should have daytime running lights? If so when are they to be phased in?

Daytime running lights - CGNorwich
From early 2011, all new types of passenger cars and light vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in accordance with the relevant European directive.

By summer 2012 all new vehicle types will have to be so fitted.

Don't think the exact dates have been announced
 Daytime running lights - L'escargot
That'll annoy Volvo owners!
 Daytime running lights - Old Navy
All cars already have DRL's, they are just not automatic, they are controlled by the light switch.
Dedicated daytime running lights will/would probably be of a lower wattage than dipped headlights.
www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 17:57
>> Dedicated daytime running lights will/would probably be of a lower wattage than dipped headlights.
>> www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html
>>

55 watts x2 beats a few fairy lights any day. See and be seen.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 18:39
 Daytime running lights - FotheringtonTomas
110W of "low energy" light is really quite a lot. A couple of times or so as much as output by "incandescent" lights.
 Daytime running lights - Skoda
>> That'll annoy Volvo owners!

Not just the Volvo owners! I'm fed up being flashed for "you've got your foglights on!", "no i stuffing well dont you blind halfwit, since when are foglamps 4 LEDs? Fog lamps are the ones below"

A flash of the fog lights changes their face, with any luck the wind will change at that exact moment sometime.

www.autogaleria.pl/tapety/img/skoda/skoda_octavia_vrs_2009_03_s.jpg
 Daytime running lights - Notdoctorchris
Here's a website against this pointless light pollution which the EU (God bless them) are imposing upon us.
www.dadrl.org.uk/index.html
Their arguments against DRLs seem balanced and presented without too much hysteria.
>> www.dadrl.org.uk/index.html

Now that it's been pointed out to me, I realise that my eyes turn (for however short a time) towards oncoming cars showing daytime running lights at the expense of not concentrating on what's directly in front of me.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 07:20
 Daytime running lights - Manatee
I agree with you snail. I can't believe that any benefit isn't more than offset by the distraction; their relative brightness makes it more likely that something else will be missed - a bit like those idiotically bright reflecting roadsigns.
That site used to host a bunch of accident stats, maybe they're still there but i can't see them just now. Anyways, the stats on that site have been summarily, and often humorously, debunked.

It's just a whinge site, like the whinging that occurred when halogen headlights (aka the end of the world) were first introduced.
 Daytime running lights - PR
I have already seen people relying on these DRLs in bad weather. Fine as they comeup behind you, they can be seen, but as they pass they quickly disappear into the spray as they have no backlights on!

Also it has been law in Italy for the last 2 or 3 years to have lights on during the day on extra urban roads and motorways
>> I have already seen people relying on these DRLs in bad weather.

Well they didn't turn the DRLs on, so what you saw was someone with *no* lights on in bad weather. Except it was marginally better because you had half a fighting chance to see the nitwit as he / she approached.

Modern Auto lights get it right more than they get it wrong i'm finding, much better than the Circa 2004 effort i had before. This would help in those cases.
 Daytime running lights - PR
Yes, but were those drivers thinking "I have my lights on all the time so no need to put on my headlights"?? So although marginally better than no lights, if they didnt have DRLs they may well have put their lights on. Cant say either way obviously....

I found that the one good point in Italy is that when bad weather comes since people have to have their lights on anyway that its much better than in previous years driving there when the weather turned bad.
They had a good law in Florida about 30 years ago, (don't know if it still applies), that if you have your wipers on you must have your headlights on.
 Daytime running lights - VxFan
>> if you have your wipers on you must have your headlights on.

Mentioned a few times somewhere else. "If you need to wipe, you need your lights"
 Daytime running lights - Harleyman
>> They had a good law in Florida about 30 years ago, (don't know if it
>> still applies), that if you have your wipers on you must have your headlights on.
>>

Gets my vote, it's simple and logical..... and for those reasons will probably never become law in the EU and Britain especially! ;)

As a biker I'm less than happy with the blanket "lights on" ruling, many drivers are now conditioned to treat a daytime headlamp as a motorcycle and we would, IMO, be at risk of being lost in a sea of lights if DRL does become compulsory.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 04:57
>> As a biker I'm less than happy with the blanket "lights on" ruling, many drivers
>> are now conditioned to treat a daytime headlamp as a motorcycle and we would, IMO,
>> be at risk of being lost in a sea of lights if DRL does become
>> compulsory.
>>
I was tempted to say that if it makes bikers slow down and be more careful so that less of them are killed it cant be bad.

Unfortunately I think the only thing that will slow down the irresponsible few is hitting a solid object.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 09:52
 Daytime running lights - movilogo
Will faulty DRL lead to MOT failure?
I think all fitted lights must work.
 Daytime running lights - Zero
>> I think all fitted lights must work.

front fog lights dont have to.
 Daytime running lights - Redviper
it will be interesting to see, if the MOT requirments are ammended to state that if fitted then they must work. When it comes (if not already, I dont know if it is) compulsery to have DRL's fitted as standard.

I would hazard a guess that as its a fitment requirement then the MOT will have to be ammended
 Daytime running lights - Number_Cruncher
>>as its a fitment requirement then the MOT will have to be ammended

That logic doesn't always follow, but, I suspect you're right in that the MOT will probably be updated to include them.
 Daytime running lights - VxFan
>> front fog lights dont have to.

Nor do reversing lights.
 Daytime running lights - Harleyman
>> >>
>> I was tempted to say that if it makes bikers slow down and be more
>> careful so that less of them are killed it cant be bad.
>>
>> Unfortunately I think the only thing that will slow down the irresponsible few is hitting
>> a solid object.
>>

ON, if car drivers can't see the bikes in the first place, the speed of said bike and the manner in which it is being ridden is entirely irrelevant.

Regrettably though you're right about the odd few but the same also applies to loony cage pilots.
 Daytime running lights - WillDeBeest
I don't see why DRLs should cause drivers to miss bikes, HM. If they can manage the conceptual leap from seeing the light to inferring that there's a vehicle behind it, the light's job is done. Granted, the light-in-a-crowd effect may make a specific motorcyclist more difficult to hit, but that shouldn't worry you.

And if there is an effect and it puts a few motorcyclists off the 70mph 'imaginary lane' manoeuvres I see every evening on the M4, then I might shelve my own opposition to DRLs.
 Daytime running lights - Hard Cheese

>>
>> As a biker I'm less than happy with the blanket "lights on" ruling, many drivers
>> are now conditioned to treat a daytime headlamp as a motorcycle and we would, IMO,
>> be at risk of being lost in a sea of lights if DRL does become
>> compulsory.
>>

Agreed, well put.
Latest Forum Posts