Motoring Discussion > Will a diesel car suite my lifestyle? Green Issues
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 9

Will a diesel car suite my lifestyle? - movilogo
I fancy an automatic MPV [with 7 seat facility]. Usually they come as diesels (e.g. Kia Carens is my favorite one) only.

I usually do 10-15k miles a year. However, sometimes for few months, my daily commute is only 2 miles each way (going to station car park - can't do it via bike).

Most of the times on weekends, I drive on motorways/40+ MPH for an hour or so but that action is not guaranteed on every week. So, there is a possibility that, for a whole month, car will be used only for short journeys around town.

Is DPF going to cause a problem?

If the car fails to regenerate because of low mileage, will it warn to give driver a try to take the car on motorways? Or when the warning appears, it is already too late?

Offtopic (for mods): Is there any way to edit title after posting?
Last edited by: movilogo on Mon 4 Aug 14 at 10:57
 Will a diesel car suite my lifestyle? - VxFan
>> Offtopic (for mods): Is there any way to edit title after posting?

Not sure if it's included within the 5 minute edit session.

What do you want it editing to?
 Will a diesel car suite my lifestyle? - Duncan
>> >> Offtopic (for mods): Is there any way to edit title after posting?
>>
>> Not sure if it's included within the 5 minute edit session.
>>
>> What do you want it editing to?
>>

Just a guess:-

Suit instead of suite?
 Will a diesel car suit my lifestyle? - Slidingpillar
But if folk reply to this, at least the replies should have the correct title.
 Will a diesel car suit my lifestyle? - Zero
Not sure "lifestyle" is the right word if you want a Carens.
 Will a diesel car suite my lifestyle? - ....
>> I fancy an automatic MPV [with 7 seat facility]. Usually they come as diesels (e.g.
>> Kia Carens is my favorite one) only.
>>
>> I usually do 10-15k miles a year. However, sometimes for few months, my daily commute
>> is only 2 miles each way (going to station car park - can't do it
>> via bike).
>>
>> Most of the times on weekends, I drive on motorways/40+ MPH for an hour or
>> so but that action is not guaranteed on every week. So, there is a possibility
>> that, for a whole month, car will be used only for short journeys around town.
>>
>> Is DPF going to cause a problem?

Euro V diesels are generally sorted it was the Euro IV versions which caused the issues as it was the manufacturers first go at DPF. They would get themselves bent out of shape if they didn't complete the regeneration, my own Euro V I've shut down mid-regen and it picks it up again when it gets hot enough next time out.
It does not need a motorway blast to do this, I've seen mine start regenerating (exhaust temp. shoots up from c.300C to 600+C) while pootling along a B road at 40-50MPH.

My wife drives a C4 Grand Picasso diesel on sometimes very short journeys. It's never complained in the 30 months and 36000kms so far.

>>
>> If the car fails to regenerate because of low mileage, will it warn to give
>> driver a try to take the car on motorways? Or when the warning appears, it
>> is already too late?
>>

Depends on the car, some tell you when the soot filter is 80% full giving you the chance to take it for a drive, others just tell you when it's full and needs to go into the garage.
 Will a diesel car suite my lifestyle? - Dutchie
I do only a short mileage everyday.Picking up granddaughter about 8 miles from our houseTown driving..Once in a while on the motorway,problaby more in the future to visits one of our sons in London.We have the 7 seater C4 Grandpicasso 1.6 Diesel.

Car is just over a year old no issues regarding the D.P.F.up to now.

I have used the Premium Diesel fuel but I am going to fill up with Tesco diesel.See what happens.The Citroen has plenty of room comfy seats.About 49/ 50 miles to the gallon.

Ours is a six speed manual.Gearbox is notchy but ok.Bit bouncy on rough roads sometimes to bouncy for a big car.
 Will a diesel car suite my lifestyle? - mikeyb
Don't know what your budget is, but if your mileage overall is lower then petrol probably makes more sense.

Not just for mechanical reasons, but a petrol model model may be a bit cheaper to buy.

Will a diesel car suite my lifestyle? - rtj70
>> Not just for mechanical reasons, but a petrol model model may be a bit cheaper to buy.

And petrol is cheaper than diesel. And a small petrol turbo might not be as inefficient compared to a diesel than you might think.
 Will a diesel car suite my lifestyle? - mikeyb
I was thinking Touran Tsi but don't know what the budget is.

I've been remarkably impressed with the recent Tsi and Ecoboost engines I've driven
Latest Forum Posts