Motoring Discussion > Traffic lights Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 4

Traffic lights - Armel Coussine
We went to London last night for a dinner party in Chelsea. We left here at 6 and despite ghastly-seeming nose-to-tail carp as the Smoke loomed made it at 8 on the dot, to my great surprise. There's a whole load of carp going on at Hammersmith flyover causing huge tailbacks both ways. Coming back it was murder getting to Hammersmith Bridge and in the end we had to go another way, Richmond almost... murder.

We came back quite early, leaving before 11. There was very little traffic after the awful London-end stuff, although what there was tended to be absurdly slow, except the white vans which are an example to us all except when they are tailgating. There's a new species of chubby rapid little white van I notice.

There's a traffic light in the middle of Dorking, on a dual carriageway with four to six lanes. It was green on the main road as we approached, and there was nothing waiting at the red to come out. Nevertheless as we approached the light changed to red. We stopped. It was a very short red. It was as if the light changed to red when it saw us coming, just out of Surrey cussedness. It felt deliberate, and in my view could have been.

Nearer home, on the A29, we shot through a double bend to find a red temporary traffic light, one carriageway shut off for a couple of hundred yards. But when that one saw us, noting that there was nothing coming the other way, it turned green instantly so we could hurtle on through.

It's great to be at home and be able to have a proper drink at last. There was some rum punch at dinner but it was pink and tasted of jelly. I don't think two of those made me illegal. Anyway no one checked.
 Traffic lights - Old Navy
Think yourself lucky that you don't live in a car hating loony left council area. Their traffic management (flow disruption) is really well thought through and effective. Glad you enjoyed the social event and evaded the rozzers on the way home.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 5 Aug 14 at 07:44
 Traffic lights - Manatee
I think you're probably right about the lights in the middle of Dorking AC. There seems to be a lot of it about. I thought it might be related to the speed of the approaching car, at least there would be some logic to giving speeders a red light, but apparently it isn't. There's a thread running on another forum about these "night settings".
 Traffic lights - Slidingpillar
I know a traffic light infested roundabout that's absolutely impossible to get round without stopping. And worse, they seem to be set to stop you when joining and at the joining of every road. I've tried all sorts of techniques, but none really work. I think I could probably do it in the dry with a Subaru Impreza but not on open roads as one would have to travel far faster than anyone using a public road would expect.

Makes the London Colney roundabout seem like a masterpiece by comparison.
 Traffic lights - henry k
>>There's a whole load of carp going on at Hammersmith flyover causing huge tailbacks both ways.
>> Coming back it was murder getting to Hammersmith Bridge and in the end we had to go another way, Richmond almost... murder.
>>
U woz warned about the disruptions :-(
Latest Forum Posts