Motoring Discussion > Ride on Mowers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 5

Ride on Mowers - TheManWithNoName
Did I really read that EU plans are afoot meaning owners of ride on mowers will have to insure them, even if they never leave the confines of the garden?
If they have to be insured, there'd have to be a database and some form of registration of the 'vehicle'? If insured, why not taxed too on emissions?
Another reason to leave the EU.
 Ride on Mowers - Falkirk Bairn
Your house insurance normally covers you for damage to people or property.

If my slf propelled lawnmower takes off by i's own accord and runs down the nex doors dog their Vet bills are covered.

A few years back a chap was killing weeds on his path with a butane powered torch...he set fire to the hedge which then engulfed his neighbour's home and within 20 minutes it was burned to the ground - his house insurance paid for the rebuild of the neighbour's home!
 Ride on Mowers - Cliff Pope
The report I read said this had arisen because house insurers were now declining to cover accidents involving mowers, leaving users with no insurance cover.

Step forward the EU, ever-eager to find something new to interfere in.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Wed 6 Aug 14 at 17:46
 Ride on Mowers - sherlock47
I am always very careful when using mechanical (Petrol rotary) mower on the front verge adjacent to the highway. The ability to throw stones is generally under estimated. ( A friend had an ankle broken by a rock that was dug out and thrown by a roary - focuses the mind a little!)

I will stop for passing cars and , horses, cyclists, and pedestrians. With ride-ons the problem is even more serious. If house insurers are declining cover, enforcing insurance is a realistic option. However how it can be done is somewhat problematic.

The next target will be enforcing property insurance.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Wed 6 Aug 14 at 18:24
 Ride on Mowers - Alanovich
A summer or two back my rotary push-along petrol mower threw a stone which smashed the outer layer of a double glazed patio door. Apparently the sound inside was apocalyptic. Didn't even think about claiming on insurance to be honest, just got it fixed and coughed.
 Ride on Mowers - Mapmaker
>>The report I read said this had arisen because house insurers were now declining to cover accidents involving mowers, leaving users with no insurance cover.

The report I read said that somebody had backed a trailer, whilst on public land, into somebody/thing and had caused damage. As it was on public land, it was uninsured. Therefore the EU was going to require all vehicles on public land to be insured, which incidentally would include ride-on lawnmowers.

HMG said that householders' PL element of their house insurance policies would cover this for ride-on lawnmowers so this would be pointless.
Latest Forum Posts