Motoring Discussion > Arab lettering registration plates Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 8

Arab lettering registration plates - bathtub tom
What happens if you have a 'coming to' with one of these. I for one couldn't possibly write the registration with any certainty.
 Arab lettering registration plates - VxFan
Whip out the camera phone and take a photo.
 Arab lettering registration plates - Fullchat
Not that it helps you but if plates are indecipherable then the vehicle should be temporarily registered in UK:

You must get temporary ‘Q’ number plates if you visit the UK for up to 6 months and either of the following apply:

Your number plates display numbers or letters that aren’t identifiable in the UK (eg Arabic script).

Your vehicle isn’t registered in its home country.
 Arab lettering registration plates - WillDeBeest
I imagine this is the reason that countries that use the Cyrillic alphabet confine their registration plates to the subset of characters that resemble Roman letters - even if they aren't the equivalent letter, like P, H, C. Russia certainly does this; I think I've seen it in Serbia too. Haven't been to Bulgaria, but I bet Vić has.
 Arab lettering registration plates - Alanovich
>> I imagine this is the reason that countries that use the Cyrillic alphabet confine their
>> registration plates to the subset of characters that resemble Roman letters - even if they
>> aren't the equivalent letter, like P, H, C. Russia certainly does this; I think I've
>> seen it in Serbia too. Haven't been to Bulgaria, but I bet Vić has.
>>

Russia don't confine themselves to Latin letters I don't think, sure I've seen Д on a plate recently . But I haven't visited since Gorbachev was in charge. Bulgaria, funny enough never been there but I think they do only use Latin recognisable letters. Interesting and will check it out.

Serbia issue number plates in Latin script only, despite Cyrillic being the main alphabet for the Serbian variant of the language (both are used, more weight given to Cyrillic to distinguish them from the Croats who are Latin only since the bother). However, there was a problem with number plates in Serbia when they implemented a change a few years ago. The Serbian version of the Latin alphabet has some characters which don't feature in standard Latin (Ć, Č, Đ for example), and some of the standard letters of Latin script aren't used (e.g. W). But they implemented number plates with both the specific Serb Latin characters (including accents) AND the characters like W which they don't have in their version of Latin. This meant trouble using mobile phones to pay for parking and the like as phones there just tend to have the standard Latin and people text without the accents and special characters. They were left unable to enter reg numbers on their phones. Similarly computer keyboards cause issues. Blasted stupidity.
 Arab lettering registration plates - Zero
>> What happens if you have a 'coming to' with one of these. I for one
>> couldn't possibly write the registration with any certainty.

Even if you could read the plates, you think you will be getting claim money off them when they are back in Saudi? You might has well say you were hit by a post box, far less agro.
 Arab lettering registration plates - Duncan
>> Even if you could read the plates, you think you will be getting claim money
>> off them when they are back in Saudi? You might has well say you were
>> hit by a post box, far less agro.
>>

Or a bus?
 Arab lettering registration plates - Mapmaker
Once was standing in Westminster watching Parking Pataweo noting down the number plate of an Arab-registered Ferrari. Upon sympathising with him, he said I can read Arabic. This cat belongs to the Saudi Royal Family.
 Arab lettering registration plates - Armel Coussine
>> This cat belongs to the Saudi Royal Family.

The chances are that his car belonged to it too.

:o}
Latest Forum Posts