Motoring Discussion > Gatwick arrival Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pezzer Replies: 11

Gatwick arrival - Pezzer
I have to pick up No 1 son from Gatwick North this evening. I plan to just scoop him up from the departures area, is there any reason this wont work or is there a better way to avoid parking up and paying through the nose ?

tvm
 Gatwick arrival - wokingham
There is nowhere to wait for more than a couple of minutes for pick up and drop off. If you can wait some distance away and get him on a mobile when he is outside and ready to go that would work;otherwise it is short stay and pay. www.gatwickairport.com/parking/north-terminal-parking/
Last edited by: wokingham on Mon 11 Aug 14 at 14:26
 Gatwick arrival - Pezzer
thanks yes that was my plan.
 Gatwick arrival - Duncan
At the North Terminal roundabout, follow the signs to 'Long term parking', go past the entrance to Long Term parking, it might be signed 'summer parking', or something similar. As you are approaching the cargo area there is a right turn and on the left there is a cafe called 'The Flying Pan', (Geddit!).

You should be able to park up there without hassle. Failing that the MacDonalds at Gatwick South used to have IIRC 90 minutes free parking.

Both locations will take you about 5 minutes to get to the drop off area at North terminal. Make sure he comes right outside and waits on the central island. Tell him NOT to be on the phone to his mate or girl friend, in case you have to ring him back. A bit obvious? Yes, but you might be surprised.
 Gatwick arrival - CGNorwich
"Make sure he comes right outside and waits on the central island. Tell him NOT to be on the phone to his mate or girl friend, in case you have to ring him back. A bit obvious? Yes, but you might be surprised."

You could of course just pay £3 and have a stress free pick up in the short term parking
 Gatwick arrival - henry k
I go in the local Tesco ( just north of LGW ) and wait for a call before swooping for the pick up.
 Gatwick arrival - Bill Payer
I don't know if it's been carried out but at Manchester they're threatening to ticket people who do this - there's a bit of a row going on as the airport parking restrictions have been enacted as Bye-Laws so they are properly enforceable.

A colleague got a telling off at Heathrow a few weeks ago for doing this.

You have to pay to drop people off at Luton.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Mon 11 Aug 14 at 16:50
 Gatwick arrival - Duncan
>> they're threatening to ticket people who do this

>> A colleague got a telling off at Heathrow a few weeks ago for doing this.
>>

Which bit? Picking people up at the drop-off point?
 Gatwick arrival - Bill Payer
>> >> they're threatening to ticket people who do this
>>
>> >> A colleague got a telling off at Heathrow a few weeks ago for doing
>> this.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> Which bit? Picking people up at the drop-off point?
>>
Yes. I wrote a stronger word than "telling off" but it got starred out. :)
 Gatwick arrival - Duncan
>> You could of course just pay £3 and have a stress free pick up in
>> the short term parking
>>

Yeeesss, but ANYBODY could do that, couldn't they?
 Gatwick arrival - mikeyb
>> >> You could of course just pay £3 and have a stress free pick up
>> in
>> >> the short term parking
>> >>
>>
>> Yeeesss, but ANYBODY could do that, couldn't they?
>>

And you cant put a price on the feeling of beating the system!
 Gatwick arrival - Pezzer
Thanks folks, flight was delayed after I left home (my transit time was longer than the flight !) so Tesco's it was. Had a go for MacDonalds but clearly everyone was doing the same and there were no spaces.
However No 1 son went to arrivals not departures so they got their £3 in the end ! However had I gone straight there it would have been £10 due to the delay.
Latest Forum Posts