Motoring Discussion > proof cyclists ignore red lights Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 17

proof cyclists ignore red lights - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDnCXagnfzM#t=19
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - Duncan
Did I blink?
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - Pat
You need to move the slider back and start it from the beginning Duncan.

Pat
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - Duncan
>> You need to move the slider back and start it from the beginning Duncan.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Why thank you Pat. That's much better.

I don't know what I would do without you!

proof cyclists ignore red lights - Ted

I larfed til me bottom ached ! Thats just like the TdF boys round the University here !

Waiting at a red light, two or three others behind, I was overtaken on the wrong side of the road by a red Micra which swung in front of me and, without slowing, turned right against the red.

Busyish junction...wish I'd had me dash cam on but I'd just picked the car up.
I snorted coffee when I saw the light turn green after the barrier tried to take his head off!
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - swiss tony
>> I snorted coffee when I saw the light turn green after the barrier tried to take his head off!
>>

I'm not sure he would have noticed if it had taken his head off...
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - Ted

Coming back from the City today, I passed 2 cyclists...a woman and 12ft or so behind, a child, about 11, following with a large rucksack on it's back. Both helmeted.. Looked a bit wobbly so I gave a lot of room to pass. At the next lights I was turning right and they came up on my nearside, both signalling to go right as well. It's a crossroads but no-one goes straight across apart from a few residents.

Having made the turn in front of me with me carefully watching them I got to the next lights where I was going left onto a very busy dual cabbageway. I was in a white,painted and colourfully lettered Peugeot Expert van...hardly invisible ! Stop at the line, indicator on and wait. Sure enough, they both squeezed up my nearside in spite of my signalling left. No indication that they were going left so I didn't go as soon as we got the green. Sure enough she went straight on without looking behind to see what I or the child was doing ! I gave her a toot and then she did have a quick glance back. I waited 'til the child was across before going.

IMO, the child should have been on the pavement........plenty of room and quiet. The main road is marked up for cycling on the pavement. Perhaps I should have anticipated what they would do and closed up on the kerb...making them wait behind me.

I can well appreciate why they get killed by large vehicles turning left. They are their own worst enemy at times !
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - Bromptonaut
Apart from other stuff Mother should have been behind child and further out than he was so she can watch and instruct. Rucksacks are a poor idea too for anything more than a waterproof & tools or swimming kit and suchlike.

Going nearside round a right turning car or light van should safe and might even offer some protection from rear. You're jiggered though if, as happened to me once. driver suddenly abandons right and goes straight on. Was only struck gently from rear buton a Brompton such an assualt causes the rear triangle tu 'fold' under main frame. Saddle then rises up and hits you between balls and bum - a painful experience.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 12 Aug 14 at 17:28
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - zippy
>Proof cyclists ignore red lights

I seem to recall a thread around here a while ago where members commented that they often went through red lights at the appropriate times.

proof cyclists ignore red lights - Clk Sec
Might have been member rather than members...
;)
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - CGNorwich
Zero idea who you mean.
It was me and others. And I didn't advocate or practise ignoring them, merely treating them as a give way sign when appropriate

I would certainly give way to a descending barrier at a red light
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - CGNorwich
I guess he just didn't see the barrier coming down. A bit like a motorist who jumps the lights might not see a motorcyclist speeding through a road junction when the lights are in his favour.
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - sooty123
>> I guess he just didn't see the barrier coming down.

I think it's safe to say that's a given ;)
>> I guess he just didn't see the barrier coming down. A bit like a motorist
>> who jumps the lights might not see a motorcyclist speeding through a road junction when
>> the lights are in his favour.

Yada yada yada whatever
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - swiss tony
>> Going nearside round a right turning car or light van should safe and might even
>> offer some protection from rear.

''Having made the turn in front of me with me carefully watching them I got to the next lights where I was going left onto a very busy dual cabbageway. I was in a white,painted and colourfully lettered Peugeot Expert van.''

:-I
 proof cyclists ignore red lights - AlastiarM
Imagine if you will a double lane (my side of the road) with the nearside lane dedicated to left hand only, right hand lane straight on with a set of Traffic lights and a fenced island to the offfside for pedestrians.
I'm in the RH lane another car turning left in the LH lane (both narrow lanes) and the lights turn to green. I move off being aware of the traffic to the left when out of the corner of my eye a cyclist overtakes me on the right between me and the pedestrian island (a gap of a foot if lucky). Nowhere to go to the left because of the car to the nearside so sucked in my breath and applied the brakes. Cyclist sails on wondering why I blew my horn at her!
Latest Forum Posts