Motoring Discussion > Is your V5C up to date? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 15

Is your V5C up to date? - Old Navy
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2728458/The-bailiffs-using-spy-cameras-snatch-cars-street-minor-traffic-fines.html
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 19 Aug 14 at 08:52
 Is your V5C up to date? - Slidingpillar
Typical Daily Hate wind people up story.
I am glad that in your great wisdom you knew the possible implications of having an out of date address on a V5C.

I didn't.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 19 Aug 14 at 09:44
 Is your V5C up to date? - CGNorwich
Surely the need for the owner of a potentially lethal machine to be capable of being traced via the registration number of their car is self evident.

It's only a DM story because the "victim" was a young middle class woman. I doubt they would be putting the same spin on the story if the driver was a young lad with his baseball cap on back to front.
 Is your V5C up to date? - Zero
>> I am glad that in your great wisdom you knew the possible implications of having
>> an out of date address on a V5C.
>>
>> I didn't.

Of course you did, you aint daft. Being a rational person you would have released the only way for a NIP to arrive on your doorstep after a speed camera violation would be by using the V5C details, and that having incorrect details (to bypass this) would be an offence.

Unlike the stupid woman in the story you would also have realised and known that your Driving License and V5C details are completely separate and not linked.

What we should be railing against is the ability for a local authority to a: enforce RTA offences (like turing right, enter yellow boxes etc) and b: Seize cars in this manner.

If someone commits a RTA offence and does not attend court or pay fines, for what ever reason, it should become a police matter. We can't have councils acting like local police forces.
I must admit that I have the DVLA letters confirming that I am not the registered keeper of my last few cars on file.

I am just a little surprised at how much hassle can be caused by a (supposedly) simple error.
 Is your V5C up to date? - CGNorwich
So she failed to pay a fine, didn't comply with here legal obligation to notify change of address on car registration and the authorities finally caught up with her. Good to see the system is working.
It would be nice to have joined up authorities where a change of details was automatically updated across the numerous systems.

Then people could complain that they could not fiddle their tax, benefits, etc. and complain that big brother government was interfering with their rights.
 Is your V5C up to date? - Zero
>> It would be nice to have joined up authorities where a change of details was
>> automatically updated across the numerous systems.

Driving licence details, and car ownership details are not and shouldn't be linked. They are completely separate matters. Lots of license holders have more than one car, lots of license holder have no car, and a few car owners have no license.
 Is your V5C up to date? - Slidingpillar
At first sight, yes, wouldn't it be lovely to give officialdom one address changed notice and get ones V5s, Driving Licence, Income Tax and any others updated.

But such joined up thinking would probably lead to things like the income tax people reviewing your car and saying you need to pay more income tax as your car is incompatible with your declared income.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 19 Aug 14 at 10:05
 Is your V5C up to date? - Bromptonaut
>> It would be nice to have joined up authorities where a change of details was
>> automatically updated across the numerous systems.

Works well enough for those with own home and job nearby. All sorts of reasons why people working away, students, living in regularly changing digs want to use different addresses for different purposes.

As CG says the need to be able to trace keeper of a car is pretty obvious.

The bit about not remembering where the car was rang some bells from my own days living in London.
 Is your V5C up to date? - sooty123
In fairness I'd not always kept the V5 upto date, I moved around alot so rather than risk forgetting and messing about with forms, I 'kept' it elsewhere and picked up any letters regarding the car as and when. It was actually quite convenient.
 Is your V5C up to date? - Mapmaker
Silly woman. Guess they have to put something in the paper during August.
 Is your V5C up to date? - smokie
I like the latest comment - "She should not be in charge of a ton of metal unless she has the wit to deal with the paperwork involved."
 Is your V5C up to date? - Alastairw
Joined up government is a gradual process. I recently found out that if you inform any govt department of, say, a death, the information is automatically passed to HMRC - this is certainly a recent development.
I think that government departments are more "joined up" than many realise.
Latest Forum Posts