Motoring Discussion > Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again Buying / Selling
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 11

Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - zippy
The girlfriend is looking for a new motor and is keen on a basic Ford Fiesta like the Studio which is £9995 in the UK but it is possible to get a further £1k off if you take Ford Finance.

The equivalent in France is the Fiesta Ambiente which is €8995 which translates to about £7200. Quite a difference! Internet dealers bring the Studio to about £9200.

Seriously considering trying to buy it in Calais and importing it. Are the EU dealers still obliged to supply a UK specified car and are there any hidden costs?
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - ....
A quick check on AT shows one on a 14 plate 25 miles for £8300, GK in Chesterfield have a 63 plate with 1800 miles for £7800 I think it was.
These are opening numbers chip away and see where end up.

Got to be less hassle than buying Euros and convincing the dealer they're all genuine or paying a bank a few hundred for sending and converting unless you already have a € bank account.

European cars usually come with a two year warranty unless you pay extra. Not sure how that will sit with Ford UK if you need to claim. My own experience with another manufacturer is you pay the bill wherever you are then haggle with the selling market company for your cash back.

The 14 plate above you may be able to negotiate some kind of service package.
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - rtj70
>> European cars usually come with a two year warranty unless you pay extra. Not sure how that
>> will sit with Ford UK if you need to claim.

Fords only come with a 12 month full manufacturer warranty in the UK. After that you get a lesser Ford Protect policy for the remaining 2 years which does not cover everything.
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - Focusless
>> Internet dealers bring the Studio to about £9200.

FWIW Drivethedeal quote £8307.50, including an £850 discount conditional on taking out finance (min £2500).
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - mikeyb
Local ford dealer are offering the studio at £8995 with an extra £750 off if you take their 4.2% finance taking it down to £8245 so slightly cheaper than DTD. They are a large dealer group so I expect you could get the same deal in other areas.

Still more than your £7200 but taking into account the increased cost of producing in RHD, tax's, import costs etc its not that bad
Last edited by: mikeyb on Tue 26 Aug 14 at 17:12
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - Zero

>> Still more than your £7200 but taking into account the increased cost of producing in
>> RHD, tax's, import costs etc its not that bad

And as the "Ambiente" is not sold in the UK, you might have expensive insurance and lowered resale values.
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - mikeyb
I'm not sure the specs are aligned either. It looks like the stereo fitted in the studio is a 450E option on the Ambiente. I bet there are other difference to as I thought generally the UK market demanded higher spec
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - Bill Payer
Different car, but looking at getting another Honda Jazz the other day, I was dismayed to to find that in the US the new model is already out (it's a year away here) and the EX version, with 1.5Litre petrol, auto, and touch colour screen, is $17K (not much over £10K).

Here we get the "old" model, smaller engine and no colour screen for....£17K. You can get a couple of £K off, but it still looks insanely expensive compared to the US price.
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - PeterS
While it doesn't completely close the gap, US prices are always quoted before sales tax, registration fees and delivery ('destination fee' IIRC). These can easily add 10% or more, so your 'just over £10k' is probably nearer £12k on the road, if not more. And £17k in the Uk is I assume around £15k from a broker. So only 25% more expensive ;-)

Not forgetting that it's only a year or so since the £$ fx rate would have added another £1.5k to the US price when converted to £. But the £¥ fx rate has not moved that much, and I assume the Jazz for the UK is build in Swindon? I have no idea where the US Jazz comes from - an American factory?
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - Falkirk Bairn
My son sold his 18mth old Panamera and a 18mth 3 series BMW estate in July - £74,000.

For his 2nd hand car money he has bought a new X5 and a new 435i in the USA and still has change. The new cars are well specced and would have cost about £100K+ - slight spec differences make an exact comparison difficult as BMW accessories fitted as extras can cost megabucks over the base model price.

As a rough guide $1,000 = £1,000 in car prices.
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - Bill Payer
>> As a rough guide $1,000 = £1,000 in car prices.
>>

That appears to be true on new cars.

Weird thing in the US is that once you get to, say, 3yrs old, used cars values are roughly the same as the UK. So the cost of owning (or leasing) a car from new to 3yrs is massively lower than here.
 Ford Fiesta - UK Rip off Pricing Again - Falkirk Bairn
>> I assume the Jazz for the UK is build in Swindon? I have no idea where the US Jazz comes >>from - an American factory?

Current Jazz for Europe is Swindon but this was said to be changing when the new model appears. However slower sales of Civic & CRV from Swindon may change this.

Feb 2014 Jazz/Fit production of new model started in Mexico - suggest these are USA bound.
Latest Forum Posts