Motoring Discussion > New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 21

New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - BobbyG
In the last couple of weeks two of my mates separately (who don't know each other) have turned up at my house to show off their new company wheels.
Both have picked Golf GTDs, one came from a BMW 3 series saloon and the other a 5 series estate.

Both are absolutely enthralled by their new car, one chose leather and DSG, the other pretty much the standard car.

Talk of 50+mpg, great performance and "it does everything I need". The one that came from the 5 series estate says it is saving him £300 a month and he can claim back mileage at 45p a mile. As he does regular 200 mile trips this is pretty much lining his pocket!

Had a good look in one and really like it - I have always not been impressed with the Golf as I always had it down as a car that was bought by people who didn't know any better. Used to know a couple of folk who just traded their Golf in every 2 years for a new Golf.

But this one has really caught my eye - especially like the fact that there is a specific place under the boot floor for the parcel shelf - very handy for us dog owners!

Me being me, I reckon I would also look very closely at the Leon equivalent but that Golf, especially the DSG and Leather clad one, is simply superb in my eyes!
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - Runfer D'Hills
My colleague who had one reckons DSG stands for 'Doesn't Select Gears'

I had a couple of Golf GTis back in the '80s. I liked those then but the modern GTDs seem like neither fish nor fowl cars. Too big to be pocket rockets, too small to be practical as stuff and people shifters and way too diesely to be GTis.

Cheap on bik though probably, if that's the sort of thing you want to be remembered for caring about.

;-)
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - commerdriver
I got a "standard" Golf GTD in March, done just over10k now followed a 3 series no regrets whatsoever quick, economical even with a heavy right foot with adaptive cruise control and electronic handbrake easiest car to drive in normal journeys commuting etc.
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - rtj70
I considered one and if I got it I'd have had to get leather seats, partly because I dislike the fabric seat fabric. But the seat was not comfortable for my wife so quickly ruled out. It was a great car to drive with that engine but a manual gearbox in the one I tried. And the progressive steering was good - considered that on the A3.

I had lined up an extended test drive in the Leon FR 184PS because it might have been more comfortable but still largely the same car. But I liked the A3 Saloon too much so cancelled the Leon test drive.

I know the MPG will be down and nowhere near as much torque as in my recent diesels. But I do low mileage at the moment. And the BIK was lower on the A3 despite being more expensive. The BIK 3% charge is going for diesels soon though.
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - Alastairw
If its a proper company car he can't claim 45p per mile - that is for business miles in your own vehicle. Fuel only rate is around 13p if I remember rightly - it varies from time to time.
And if funded as a car allowance for your own car, isn't it just the tax back on the difference between 45p and whatever you get.
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - legacylad
I also would consider a Golf as my next car
Only if it had a letter between Q & S on the front grille

Would still need my trailer mind
The Golf R was a reasonable price for a company car but the emissions meant BIK were a lot higher than a GTI. The R32 variant of the older model was more appealing than a turbo. And the FWD Cupra 280 is more powerful than the Golf GTi performance pack too.
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - swiss tony
>> I also would consider a Golf as my next car
>> Only if it had a letter between Q & S on the front grille

You would want it to be made by Renault? (or Rover????)

;-)
Lad at work has just got a Golf R. Mpg isn't too bad apparently (30 ish). Lord knows how he affords the insurance at his age.
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - BobbyG
Not sure of the correct position re "company car" - he is a partner so I think technically classed as self employed?
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - R.P.
My neighbour chopped in her MINI Countryman for a Merc A200 AMG - not a car I'd have given a second glance at when considering a new motor. I must say it's little gem.
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - PeterS
I've had an A class three time from Avis in the last couple of months - 2 A180 petrols and one diesel. I have to say I preferred the petrol, and though they were all in 'Sport' not AMG trim level I thought that the petrol in particular was a cracking car - very nice to drive, neat handling, brisk performance and a comfortable ride. Felt very solid too - more so than the Golf TSi that Avis have also provided :-)
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - PeterS
And before I'm accused of being to profligate with company money, I always book either a Peugeot 208 or equivalent or Kia C'eed or equivalent, depending on if I expect to have a passenger at any point.

To date since June booking a 208 has got me a Corsa, a Polo, a Citroen DS2, and Audi a1 S Line and a 208
Booking a Kia C'eed has got me a Peugeot 308, a Golf TSi, three MB A Classes and a BMW 420i M Sport Auto

So not too bad I don't think :-)
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - DP
It's a really nice car. I'm hoping it appears on our list. The old mk6 Golf GTD was on there for a bit, and then disappeared. We seem to be doing more VAG stuff these days, so you never know.

My only issue with it would be I really want two pedals next time, and I really don't like the DSG 'box.
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - Boxsterboy
A mate of mine recently went for one of these as his Co. car (in Mars Red with the standard tartan trim - just like a bloated Mk 1). He previously had a 520D which he didn't enjoy at all - he found it very bland.
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - Zero
So why do we favour the Golf over the A3?
Cheaper = less bik. And the unfortunate image of queues of black, base model A3s barrelling along the outside lane 3 inches apart.
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - commerdriver
In my case, because the Audi fleet sales guys could not get their act together and get me a test drive so I decided on the basis of my 2010 test that it didn't justify the price premium
I know comparing a diesel 184PS manual Golf GTD with a petrol 150PS DSG Audi A3 saloon is a bit like apples and oranges.... but when I spec'd the A3 and Golf as I'd order, the difference in cost per month to me was not large. The Golf is a lot cheaper each month for rental but the BIK figure for the Audi is lower because of low emissions (cheating with CoD etc) and it's petrol.

Comparing to the VW Passat CC, and ignoring mpg, the A3 is about £70pm cheaper each month (take home pay difference). The Golf GTD I'd have ordered £60. The difference is all in the tax paid. The GTD with lots of options would be below my equivalent allowance. The A3 I pay up for a little. Had I gone for the A3 with a manual it would be cheaper again.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 21:34
 New Golf GTD - reps choice of car?? - Dave_
Our sales rep has also just got a Golf GTD, his last two cars were an A6 and a Tiguan. First time I've seen hin smile.
>> Our sales rep has also just got a Golf GTD, his last two cars were an A6 and a Tiguan. First
>> time I've seen hin smile.

Is that because of driving the car or saving money? Sounds like downsizing cars and costs to me.... A6 -> Tiguan -> GTD. The GTD will be cheapest for him cost wise.

Don't get me wrong, it was a LOT of fun when I had one for 3 days. I liked it a lot but (a) seat uncomfortable - but liveable - for my wife and (b) I might get points too if I'm honest! That engine is great IMO. Hence considering it in the Leon FR too (even cheaper).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 28 Aug 14 at 23:05
Latest Forum Posts