Motoring Discussion > Renault Megane III - Sweden to UK, and back - in a Renault!
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 0

Renault Megane III - Sweden to UK, and back - in a Renault! - Dave
I rented a year old Megane 1.6 petrol for my trip back 'home' as well as a trip to Scotland to collect a new dog. A total of just over 5000 km's in a week, and nothing broke, fell off, or went wrong with it!

A steady 110Kph all the way, and it returned 42mpg. Not great, though it was reasonably quiet and comfortable. But the strange combination of a clutch that bites right at the top, but doesn't release until right at the bottom, and a stodgy 6 speed gearbox stick that didn't really self centre properly, made smooth progress difficult.

The automatic wipers were a bit of a law unto themselves, though, and that fact that to make the headlights come on all the time, they seem to have just rigged it as if they had been switched on manually. So the lights on warning on the dash was always lit, main beam could be switched on inadvertently, and the dash display had to be adjusted manually for day or night driving, as it dims with lights on for night time, and should be brighter during the day when the lights wouldn't normally be used. With can-bus, I don't know why they can't just turn the headlights on all the time, without having the other things that are only needed when turning them on manually for night time use. VW manage to do it this way.
Latest Forum Posts