Motoring Discussion > Damned M25! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 25

Damned M25! - bathtub tom
Had to drive from M1 J13 to Epsom on Tuesday.

M1 was 'hard shoulder' working, with a 60MPH limit from J13 to J10. I did most of the M1 bit on the hard shoulder, undertaking everything, except for the odd 40 tonner (which I'm a bit wary of going under). Note to Pat Can you please teach them to drive on the left!

M25 was stop-start, 'til I picked up the the M4 at J15, turned West for one exit and then returned on the Colnbrook by-pass to the A304 (which I think's been mentioned here before). I wasn't aware of the temporary traffic lights in Hampton and along with that and the flood under the railway bridge at Ditton Common, the 80 miles took nearly four hours.

I may consider a pensioners rail-card!

Damned M25! - DP
Welcome to my world. My 20 mile commute rarely takes much less than an hour.

I'm losing all interest in driving these days. Next car will be a slushmatic, and happy to let Mrs. DP drive whenever we go anywhere at weekends.
 Damned M25! - Boxsterboy
>> Welcome to my world. My 20 mile commute rarely takes much less than an hour.
>>
>> I'm losing all interest in driving these days. Next car will be a slushmatic.
>>

I got to the stage where I was seriously considering a motorbike/scooter to dodge the traffic queues which have been terrible this summer even with the kids off.

Did the CBT and then let slip of my plans to the Mrs. Who promptly issued a strongly worded ultimatum ...

Putney Bridge closure (until October) is making traffic murder around SW London and when the schools go back next week it will be unbearable!
 Damned M25! - Zero

>> Putney Bridge closure (until October) is making traffic murder around SW London and when the
>> schools go back next week it will be unbearable!

But Putney High street, Putney Hill and the Upper Richmond Road is fabulous!
 Damned M25! - DP
>> I got to the stage where I was seriously considering a motorbike/scooter to dodge the
>> traffic queues which have been terrible this summer even with the kids off.
>>
>> Did the CBT and then let slip of my plans to the Mrs. Who promptly
>> issued a strongly worded ultimatum ...

I have a full bike license and this has occurred to me, but a close friend of ours, an IAM Advanced rider and RoSPA Gold certificate holder of 20 years riding experience was nearly killed, and ended up with life changing injuries after being taken out by a car at a T-junction on his way home from work six months ago. He's up and about, but his family went through hell, and he is unlikely to ever fully recover. Mrs DP simply won't allow me to commute on two wheels. In fact, getting back on two wheels in any capacity is going to take a hell of a lot of persuasion on my part. If it could happen to him.....

Also the car is fully expensed, so the one saving grace is it's not my fuel I'm wasting, and not my clutch I'm wrecking on the M3 every morning. Also, the journey home, along the same route, is usually 35-40 mins which is a bit better.
Last edited by: DP on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 15:29
 Damned M25! - spamcan61
>> Welcome to my world. My 20 mile commute rarely takes much less than an hour.
>>
>> I'm losing all interest in driving these days. Next car will be a slushmatic, and
>> happy to let Mrs. DP drive whenever we go anywhere at weekends.
>>

Having spent best part of 20 years yo-yo ing up and down the M3 for average 3 hours ish per day that's exactly how I feel!
 Damned M25! - Bromptonaut
>> Having spent best part of 20 years yo-yo ing up and down the M3 for
>> average 3 hours ish per day that's exactly how I feel!

20+ years rail commuting from Northampton to London was a relaxation by comparison.
 Damned M25! - Pat
>>Note to Pat Can you please teach them to drive on the left!<<

Not when the use of the hard shoulder runs out at every junction.

Safer to stay where you are unless using the exits.

Pat
>>Not when the use of the hard shoulder runs out at every junction.

I think you'll find it doesn't between J10 - J13.
 Damned M25! - Pat
I'm confused here.

Given that you know lorries are limited to a max of 56MPH and the road works speed limit is 60MPH, why would you be 'undertaking' anything.

I get that if the traffic is moving slower in the lane to the right of you it is ok to undertake them, but surely it's a lot safer to overtake anything on the right?

Pat
>>Given that you know lorries are limited to a max of 56MPH and the road works speed limit is 60MPH, why would you be 'undertaking' anything.

There was heavy traffic, hence the 'hard shoulder working' and 60MPH limit.
There's (currently) no road works on this section.
The hard shoulder was almost completely clear, I only had to leave it to overtake a couple of slower vehicles and the lorries that wouldn't use it.
To overtake anything would have involved four lane changes (hard shoulder to lane 1, lane1 to lane 2, overtake, lane 2 to lane 1, lane 1 to hard shoulder). In heavy traffic!

I decided that as most of the traffic was determined not to use the shoulder, I was fairly safe. I noticed a few vehicles copied me as a result.
 Damned M25! - Pat
>>I decided that as most of the traffic was determined not to use the shoulder, I was fairly safe.<<

Thought so:)

Risk management says NO.

Pat
>>Risk management says NO.

We'll agree to differ on that.

Could you do a straw poll of drivers to find out why they're reluctant to use 'hard shoulder working'? I've previously found lorry drivers were the first into that lane, when available.
 Damned M25! - Zero
I am not a huge fan of Hard Shoulder working, too much stuff can go wrong in there.
 Damned M25! - Pat
>>Could you do a straw poll of drivers to find out why they're reluctant to use 'hard shoulder working'?<<

I have 15 of them today, so I will ask the question but I bet I can tell you the answer....

Risk management.

No escape route anywhere.

Pat
 Damned M25! - Zero

the 80
>> miles took nearly four hours.

Not surprised if you thought Hampton and Ditton was a good way to get to Epsom.
 Damned M25! - Dutchie
Which way would have been the best direction for him Zero?

I be driving to Tooting London next month from up North.Have a look at the best route haven't been there for a while.
 Damned M25! - henry k
>> the 80 miles took nearly four hours.
>>
>> Not surprised if you thought Hampton and Ditton was a good way to get to >> Epsom.
>>
Nowt wrong with that general route if traffic is heavy on the M25.

Damned M25! - Zero
>> >> the 80 miles took nearly four hours.
>> >>
>> >> Not surprised if you thought Hampton and Ditton was a good way to get
>> to >> Epsom.
>> >>
>> Nowt wrong with that general route if traffic is heavy on the M25.

Of course there is, you have to cross the river by one of the busy bridges. Hampton court in school holiday period? YUK. The M25 Jams up around the M40 can't avoid that, and the M4 to Junction 11. You can make rapid progress by sticking on the inside lane from M4 - and exit hop to Staines, then off there - Egham/Chertsey/Back on at J11 then J10 A3/Epsom
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 18:25
>>Not surprised if you thought Hampton and Ditton was a good way to get to Epsom.

Only used it because the M25 was stop/start, with unfavourable traffic reports for the rest of the way.
 Damned M25! - henry k
>> M25 was stop-start, 'til I picked up the the M4 at J15, turned West for
>> one exit and then returned on the Colnbrook by-pass to the A304 (which I think's
>> been mentioned here before). I wasn't aware of the temporary traffic lights in Hampton and
>> along with that and the flood under the railway bridge at Ditton Common, the 80
>> miles took nearly four hours.
>>
Thanks for the reminder re waterworks repairs.

I went via the now dry Hampton Court Way to Hampton Court Bridge.
I saw the tailback and went through the park
An easy run M3 M25 M4 etcat 4.20 to Caversham.

When I left there it was bums rush/ POETS expected on the M25.
I used the Colnbrook bypass, passing over a static anti clockwiase M25 traffic with a smile.
I bypassed Staines/ Sunbury and used lots of back doubles etc via Teddington and Kingston to arrive at Surbiton in 60 minutes with no traffic hold ups anywhere.
I thought that was pretty good progress for a Friday evening.

Detaisl of my back are doubles available if required.
 Damned M25! - Ted

This is all a land of mystery to all of us up in't Noorth.

The city's as quiet as a tomb with all the schools, colleges and unis being out. Been into the city centre from home 3 or 4 times this week. The 3 miles takes about 10 minutes. Mainly 'cos of traffic lights...not traffic.

I'm staying put !
 Damned M25! - Dutchie
In about a year they are going to work on the famous Hedon Road Castle street area.

About three years I believe from start to finish we hope.God knows how anybody is going to get in or out the city,problaby via the Humber whilst the work is going on.
 Damned M25! - Harleyman
God knows how anybody is
>> going to get in or out the city,problaby via the Humber whilst the work is
>> going on.
>>

We're talking about Hull. Why would anybody want to? ;-)
 Damned M25! - Bill Payer
>> We're talking about Hull. Why would anybody want to? ;-)
>>

You can imagine why they'd want to get out! :)
 Damned M25! - legacylad
So glad I live in North Yorks where under normal circumstances the only 'hold ups' are tractors towing slurry trailers or old motor homes. Even the A roads I use, primarily the 65, flow freely most of the time.
It must be at least 25 years since I have driven in the SE although I did commute 6 days a week between Keighley & Morley, Leeds for 15 years. Leaving at 7am took me an hour, sometimes 90 mins for the home bound trip leaving at 6pm. To be fair, I became immune to the commute and accepted it for what it was. Necessary.
Latest Forum Posts