Motoring Discussion > Familiarity breeds contempt Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 12

Familiarity breeds contempt - Armel Coussine
Either that or I am really losing it.

We park the car tail down on a steep slope outside the house here. To drive off down the drive one has to take a sharp left immediately, as one engages the clutch, round a newish, robust, sharp-cornered deer-proof fence.

If the car is parked with a decent gap from the fence it's OK, one shaves round there with inches to spare. But others use the parking place too and sometimes one needs to back and fill to get round without fouling the fence.

A couple of days ago though I did the inevitable and graunched the car's n/s rear wing, the only remaining unfoxed corner. I often say I like cars to look properly used but this scuff, not just superficial but bent metal (although the paint's mostly still on, damn good original paint job on the Cruiser), is still embarrassing and annoying me. Silly old prat, I think whenever my eye falls on the new graunch.

Don't bother to give me a kicking. You can't say anything worse than what I've said, believe me.
 Familiarity breeds contempt - Westpig
You've got a hand brake haven't you?

Give it some large, turn sharp left and let the hand brake swing the rear around.
 Familiarity breeds contempt - Boxsterboy
Time to hang up your licence? ;-}
 Familiarity breeds contempt - Pat
>>Time to hang up your licence? ;-}<<

It's never time to do that!

I'm off for my HGV Medical for yet another 'last' year:)

Pat
 Familiarity breeds contempt - BobbyG
Well if it is confession time.........

I have a wooden fence at the boundary of my driveway and usually just drive in nose first. However occasionally I will reverse in and being a man, I challenge myself to park as tight to the fence as I can.

On the Altea, the wing mirrors didn't stick out much further than the rear wheelarch so when reversing they both kind of lined up with the fence. However it would appear the Hyundai has lorry mirrors and they stick out a fair bit. Not helped by the idiot man in the house who has left cable clips in the fence from when the kids were wee and liked Christmas lights all along the fence!!

Result being 3 nasty scrapes on the wing mirror housing - on the plus side it is a white car so might just dig out that old bottle of Tipp Ex!!

Does Tipp Ex still exist??
 Familiarity breeds contempt - Duncan
>>
>> Does Tipp Ex still exist??
>>

Yes.
 Familiarity breeds contempt - Old Navy
I find the mirror fold button handy when reversing into tight spaces. As I use the mirrors for reversing, folding them is a last resort. :)

(We both have the same model car).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 17:16
 Familiarity breeds contempt - BobbyG
You got it in one! Always fold them in when I park up but really needed them to see how close to the fence I was getting......
 Familiarity breeds contempt - Old Navy
>> You got it in one! Always fold them in when I park up but really
>> needed them to see how close to the fence I was getting......
>>

They are for seeing, not feeling the fence. :)
 Familiarity breeds contempt - ....
>> I find the mirror fold button handy when reversing into tight spaces. As I use
>> the mirrors for reversing, folding them is a last resort. :)
>>
They'll be on the options list now.

Volvo took them off the standard equipment list (£24,000 car) and made them a £200+ option on a £6,500 upgrade from standard to R-design trim. The good news is if you pay an extra £9,000 for the R-design Lux then they throw them in for free.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 22:39
 Familiarity breeds contempt - VxFan
>> Yes.

But since they got rid of all the nasties in it and made it water based, it's now rubbish. Just like most other environmentally safe stuff.
 Familiarity breeds contempt - Dutchie
We all make silly mistakes sometimes A.C.

Visisting the daughter in her previous house outside parking. I reversed into the lamppost.

Yes I was sober. I had been busy cleaning the carpets had my mind on other things.

Forgot about this post in a rush to get home.

Familiarity breeds contempt - Cliff Pope

>> But since they got rid of all the nasties in it and made it water
>> based, it's now rubbish. Just like most other environmentally safe stuff.
>>

You need "Niceday" correction fluid, as sold by Viking. Lovely cellulosy sort of smell, and the label warns it is inflammable.
It also has a nice sort of squeezy brush, not the thing with bristles that distorts and wedges in the top of the bottle.

Snopake Premium Original is still available.
Latest Forum Posts