Motoring Discussion > Caught on Camera - Buggrit. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 34

Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Bromptonaut
This morning's post included a communication from Leicestershire Police alleging that at 13:01 last Thursday I passed a traffic light at junction of A563 and B4114 1.1 seconds after it went red. Didn't see flash but it's a busy gyratory junction, lots of lanes and I suspect I'd turned my attention to next set of lights.

I'll ask to see the snaps but probably a fair cop.

Well within parameters for a 're-education' course so hopefully I'll escape points and just be £100 lighter.
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Old Navy
Easy done, Mrs ON yelled "Lights" in my ear this morning. I was about to run a red on a small local roundabout which has about a dozen sets of lights on and around it. All specifically timed to disrupt the traffic flow.
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Armel Coussine
Yeah. I've heard from Sussex Police Safer Roads Unit too. I have been offered a speed awareness course for 85 quid or the 100 quid penalty (and I suppose points on my now-virginal licence).

I'm used to being a criminal though and 15 nicker is a cheap price to pay for not having to get up in the morning and trek to Brighton or somewhere several times for (no doubt interesting) lessons in the bleeding obvious.

Just hope I'll have the bread to pay before the 28 days are up. If I don't they'll send the SAS after me or something, they suggest.
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - John Boy
>> Just hope I'll have the bread to pay before the 28 days are up. If
>> I don't they'll send the SAS after me or something, they suggest.
>>
West Sussex? It'll probably be the sheriff:
www.highsheriffs.com/West%20Sussex/Index.htm
>> It'll probably be the sheriff:

Yeeee-HAH!

Fill yer hand, Marshal!
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Manatee
>> Yeah. I've heard from Sussex Police Safer Roads Unit too. I have been offered a
>> speed awareness course for 85 quid or the 100 quid penalty (and I suppose points
>> on my now-virginal licence).
>>
>> I'm used to being a criminal though and 15 nicker is a cheap price to
>> pay for not having to get up in the morning and trek to Brighton or
>> somewhere several times

It should only be once - a morning, or afternoon. Well worth not using one of your lives I would say. And reasonably entertaining in the case of the one I did.
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - ....

>> Just hope I'll have the bread to pay before the 28 days are up. If
>> I don't they'll send the SAS after me or something, they suggest.
>>
You could probably sell tickets to watch you squirm through the four hours without derailing the course otherwise you fail.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 22:18
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Runfer D'Hills
Better to attend the course AC. No points or potential insurance cost increases. Just smile and nod. You can do that. Free tea and biscuits too.
You're tempting me Humph. If it really is only once and I don't have to get up at dawn to qualify though.

Your mention of insurance - always a can of worms - did make me think twice.
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - bathtub tom
>>No points or potential insurance cost increases.

I believe some insurance companies now ask if such courses have been attended. I bet they penalise you if admit it.
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Fursty Ferret
>> >>No points or potential insurance cost increases.
>>
>> I believe some insurance companies now ask if such courses have been attended. I bet
>> they penalise you if admit it.
>>

Though if you told a fib they've no way of finding out...
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Zero
>> This morning's post included a communication from Leicestershire Police alleging that at 13:01 last Thursday
>> I passed a traffic light at junction of A563 and B4114 1.1 seconds after it
>> went red. Didn't see flash but it's a busy gyratory junction, lots of lanes and
>> I suspect I'd turned my attention to next set of lights.
>>
>> I'll ask to see the snaps but probably a fair cop.
>>
>> Well within parameters for a 're-education' course so hopefully I'll escape points and just be
>> £100 lighter.

Not sure a traffic light offence is "re-education" country?

Don't you just love the TomTom GPS with the "red light camera" warning database.........
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 18:41
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Skip
>> Not sure a traffic light offence is "re-education" country?
>>

What’s Driving Us Course

If you have committed a Red Traffic Light offence you could be eligible to attend a What’s Driving Us Course as an alternative to prosecution.

To be eligible you must meet the following criteria:
An admission to being the driver of the vehicle to be received by the police within 42 days from the date of the offence.
Not having attended such a ‘What’s Driving Us (Red light violation) course within the last 3 years.
Time into red does not exceed 3 seconds.
If under any circumstances the driver is unable to satisfy any of the above criteria, you will not be considered as eligible for this course
SQ
>> If under any circumstances the driver is unable to satisfy any of the above criteria,
>> you will not be considered as eligible for this course

Oh right - thats good then.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 22:20
>> Oh right - thats good then.

The Q&A stuff that came with NIP said more or less same. Offender is eligible for safety course provided elapsed time on red 2.99 seconds or less. I'm on 1.1.

Suspect if it were under 1.0 I'd have not have been NIP'd.

>> Don't you just love the TomTom GPS with the "red light camera" warning database.........

The route is between here and my Mother's/Sister's places. I know the lights have cameras as well as I've come to know those for speed round M1/J19 - I just transferred my attention to next set a tad early. Read through the signals in railway parlance.
>>
>> >> Don't you just love the TomTom GPS with the "red light camera" warning database.........
>>
>> The route is between here and my Mother's/Sister's places. I know the lights have cameras
>> as well as I've come to know those for speed round M1/J19 - I just
>> transferred my attention to next set a tad early. Read through the signals in railway
>> parlance.

The tom-tom acts like AWS in railway parlance...
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - WillDeBeest
Bad luck. Should we now call you Foul Ole Bromp?
>> Bad luck. Should we now call you Foul Ole Bromp?

could have ended up as Ran Toot Bump
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 21:48
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Harleyman
Note lack of surprise that a cyclist has been caught running a red light. ;-)

(Only teasing Bromp, there but for the grace of God etc....)
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - swiss tony
>> Note lack of surprise that a cyclist has been caught running a red light. ;-)

>> (Only teasing Bromp, there but for the grace of God etc....)

Good point... Bromp, just tell them you are a cyclist, and forgot you were in the car - their bound to let you off! ;-)
Got offered the 'What's Driving Us' course and attending tomorrow.

Will report back.
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - PhilW
I know the junction well!
There are loads of lanes, loads of lights and it can be quite confusing! What's more is that the lights at times don't seem very logical and "change quickly". ie - you think they will stay green for you for a longer time than the 3 seconds they apply.
Just remember, in Leicester, the light changes are designed to hold you up rather than let traffic flow. As Mrs W says, they are all watching in some "traffic control centre" and are having fun saying "let's catch that chap/chapess" or " how about letting out that one car while holding up the 50 cars waiting to go through the other way".
Never forget, Leicester is a former winner of "environmental city" award - this is an award given to cities that can have the most number of cars possible sitting at traffic lights.
No bitterness here - I was done for running a red light at next junction up on A 563 - but you beat me Brompt - I was 1.3 secs in red zone! And I got 3 points!
>> I know the junction well!

My sister moved to a house off Forest Road in Narborough just after we moved here so pushing 25 yrs ago. She's still round there and my Mother's flat for last ten years is across the dual carriageway in Leicester Rd.

I STILL struggle to pass Sainsbury's so as to get into right lane for Narborough and Enderby....
"I STILL struggle to pass Sainsbury's so as to get into right lane for Narborough and Enderby"

Mrs W struggles to pass Sainsbury's! And Fosse Park M & S/Next/Clarks/Boots etc, etc?
Anybody else spend hours sitting/standing outside shops while Mrs says " I'll just have a quick look to see what's on sale"?
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Robin O'Reliant
You ought to post this on Cycle Chat's Campaign forum Brompt, see how much sympathy you generate ;-)
>> Mrs W struggles to pass Sainsbury's!

Mrs B struggles to find Sainsbo's at Fosse Park.

She left here for Sheffield two weeks ago for daughter's graduation and playing fuel light bingo in her 'lingo. Diesel at FP is always 2-3p litre cheaper than locally so was obvious place for a fill up. Gave precise instructions - keep left on exit ramp at J21 and as soon as you're off junction take first left onto A563 - biting my lip to avoid phrase 'just like going to [sister's name]'s for last 25 years - and follow Grove Park Triangle.

For operational reasons to do with post graduation engagements we were in separate cars.

An hour later she rings me (by this time I'm on road too) in high dudgeon. Going to kill me for giving wrong directions. Apparently, after you leave M1 Fosse Park is signed straight ahead so she followed that and now she's 'lost' and at Asda......

Eventually filled up at Asda and found her way back to M1 North....

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 25 Nov 14 at 21:12
"Sainsbo's at Fosse Park"
"Apparently, after you leave M1 Fosse Park is signed straight ahead"

Yes, although Sains is just over the road from Fosse Park, as you said, it's actually in "Grove Park Triangle" .
Mrs W is reading over my shoulder and saying that for anyone not used to finding Sains it is very badly signed - in fact it isn't signed at all! And the road system is very complex round there with multiple (confusing) lanes/roundabouts/traffic lights etc.
Unlike in France where supermarkets and Centres Commercial are usually well signed off motorways.
Anyway, I guess Mrs B got her fuel (same price as Sains or even slightly cheaper?) but missed out on the Nectar points!
P
Phil, If it'd been odd directions I'd have had some sympathy.

But we've (a) been going to my sister in Narborough since 1991/2, (b) visited the former bookshop that's now Pets at Home dozens of times en route to sis's and (c) picking up stuff for my Mother at Sainsbury's every time we've visited since she fell in 2011.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 26 Nov 14 at 20:44
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - Runfer D'Hills
Still your fault though Bromp. You know how it is.

;-)
Sorry, thought it was first time visit!
 Caught on Camera - Buggrit. - idle_chatterer

>> But we've (a) been going to my sister in Narborough since 1991/2

I remember when Fosse Park was Ellis and Everard's yard and Roger Clarke could often be seen at the garage from which my Dad bought his cars. The last time I heard reference to Narborough was a chaplain in Hong Kong Cathedral who's accent seemed familiarly 'east midlands'.

Not really been back for 20 years, glad it is still there I suppose.
Duly attended the course yesterday afternoon.

The first problem was getting to the place which was on an Industrial Estate at Thurmaston. Obvious way was to avoid Leicester by staying on M1 to J21A then following A46 to pick up the Newark/Melton road and turn right a Thurmaston r/bout. Unfortunately there was a fatal accident between 21A and 22 in small hours of Wednesday. M1 closed 21A-22 until at least 14:00. Long distance traffic was being sent M6/M42 north to regain M1 at 23A but M69, A46 and much else was log jammed. J21 and round the ring road was very slow but with Hudl's satnav to confirm earlier map observation got there with 10 mins to spare.

Attendees were mostly traffic light offenders like me but with a smattering of 'phone users and at least one crossing zig/zag offender. Being Leicester there was a cross section of class and ethnicity*. We were arranged in groups of four/five in a classroom type setting and content was delivered by a pair of tutors working in tandem. Although organised by ACPO neither was an ex/serving copper; I suspect they were recruited from professional trainers.

Content was mostly about making us think about WHY we'd offended focussing on various scenarios illustrated by powerpoint and handouts. At one point thinking about reactions to being caught we were shown something that looked like the 'change at work' cycle where people start with disbelief/anger and work through to bargaining and acceptance. One guy was clearly still at the anger phase!

Less technical stuff then accounts suggest there is in Speed Awareness sessions but we did look at the question of compensatory risk taking allied to ABS, Airbags etc. The injury risk associated with airbag deployment was graphically described with particular reference to (a) unorthodox means of holding the wheel and (b) feet on the dash.

The mildly gobsmacking bit came when we looked at traffic light sequences. The number of participants who did not understand that amber means STOP and that on a green light you should still be prepared to stop was frightening. The guy who was still at angry was quite insistent that easing for a green or stopping on amber was inviting a tailender. Mind you he was also of the 'cant drive at 30 without fixating on the speedo therefore safer to speed' school of thought.

In conclusion, it was better than three points and I got a free up to date highway code but not as interesting as it might be.

*The lady sat next to be wore the hijab and a headscarf. She and I had an icebreaking moment when she admitted using the scarf to hold the phone to her ear, freeing both hands. The same 'hijab handsfree' my ex-colleague Yemi used to considerable amusement around the office.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 27 Nov 14 at 12:51
"on an Industrial Estate at Thurmaston"
Been there done that!
But for doing 34 in a 30 limit. (Outside Tigers Ground on Welford Road at 5am!) Place was full of middle-aged or oldies who had "made a misjudgement". Only one guy in his 20s. But then, as guy running the course said, "We don't get many boy-racers 'cos when they get done they aren't offered a course because they are usually doing far more than 36 in a 30..."
Found the course quite interesting and the man and woman running it informative, sympathetic and quite amusing.
I just got a straight fine and points for my red-light offence - it was one of those "shall I go, shall I jam on the anchors" moments..... decided to go and got done - misjudgement on my part.

And then, being very wary of these lights, a couple of years later, I was sitting peacefully waiting for these lights to turn green when a young lady rear-ended me because she was too busy looking at her phone! Luckily the towbar on the old Xantia took the blow well but her front bumper was a mess.
Only been rear-ended twice - both times by young ladies on the phone, both times in cars with towbars and both times I came off undamaged.

And I hope you don't think I'm a serial speeder/red-light jumper - in nearly 50 years driving (last 6 years delivering cars) I've been done 3 times - once in 1970ish (going over 40 mph in a van!) and the above two in 2009.
Hope BBD doesn't get too excited by my "rear-ended by young ladies" mentions above or by the fact that they were both so uninterested in my actions that they were on the phone at the time!
P
We went cross-country from near Pulborough to Haselmere and back tonight to have dinner with the middle daughter and two of her cute nippers. The car-freak SiL was there too so it was nice.

There were fog patches but nothing really bad, sometimes you needed dipped lights to see better. We went fairly gently if not always quite tidily over the mixed going. I kept noticing though that we were often 10mph over the posted limit.

I hope no one will think me a serial speeder, brisk wafting, nothing worse. There weren't any red lights that I can remember.
Latest Forum Posts