Motoring Discussion > The car and the sofa...... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 32

The car and the sofa...... - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQlEWqwnaA
 The car and the sofa...... - nice but dim
Before I watched I was thinking Sir Edward China Esq, but noo that is brilliant. Love how they take the cushions off!
 The car and the sofa...... - Ted

Wouldn't like to tackle that fat bird....bet she can throw a punch with those biceps !
 The car and the sofa...... - Crankcase
Like it. Tati would have had M. Hulot make that fantastic.

The car and the sofa...... - legacylad
Disproves Darwins theory of evolution
 The car and the sofa...... - Cliff Pope
>> Disproves Darwins theory of evolution
>>

Volvo estates evolved out of the need to get sofas in the back of cars.
 The car and the sofa...... - Zero
>> Like it. Tati would have had M. Hulot make that fantastic.
>>

The "Benny Hill" mix is just right

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXAnDALtdnM
Strange old bird, Benny. A man so uncaring about money he frequently didn't bother to cash his cheques, and yet so generous he insisted a different saxophonist played the music every so often to spread the fee.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 30 Aug 14 at 10:59
 The car and the sofa...... - J Bonington Jagworth
I didn't know that, CC. Interesting insight.
I love the effort at the end where they appear to think that if they push hard enough, either the car will expand or the sofa contract to make it fit...
 The car and the sofa...... - Armel Coussine
Yes, just too big to go far into the little car (but was the bloke really up to all the folding or removable bits in the car, I wondered).

In any case he hadn't thought of the obvious place: the roof. Would take a bit of securing of course, rope and wading and stuff.
 The car and the sofa...... - Bromptonaut
Scenes like this can be observed at IKEA whenever store is open.....
 The car and the sofa...... - Roger.
No spatial awareness - I wonder how they drive the car thru' narrow spaces?
 The car and the sofa...... - Pat
Easy Roger, just like women lorry drivers do.

Close eyes and select narrow gear.

Pat
 The car and the sofa...... - Dutchie
Not the sharpest pencils in the box.Hilarious that was never going to work, cushions in the car and roofrack for the settee me thinks.
Last edited by: Dutchie on Mon 1 Sep 14 at 08:52
 The car and the sofa...... - bathtub tom
I've transported a three-piece to the tip on the roof of a Fiat Panda (took three journies). Soft furnishings don't scratch paintwork.

If it was going to be re-used, I would've washed the roof of the Panda.
 The car and the sofa...... - rtj70
I once took a sofa to the tip in a Passat saloon. All in one trip including cushions. Okay I cut the sofa into pieces but it fitted :-)
 The car and the sofa...... - nice but dim
The biggest boot space I came across in one of my cars was my old Passat - old one the late 80's shape.
 The car and the sofa...... - Alastairw
I've had a double divan and mattress in the Octavia. Divan had to be cut up, but I was blowed if I was going to make more than one trip to the tip.
Last edited by: Alastairw on Mon 1 Sep 14 at 17:36
Our last divan (which came with the house) was covered in quite a smart damask and lasted over 10 years, but developed a sag that prompted us (provided an excuse) to buy a replacement, so I chopped the frame up for kindling, but was amazed to discover that the top, which I had fondly assumed to be plywood, was in fact made of cardboard. At least it didn't make any splinters...
 The car and the sofa...... - Dutchie
I've got to move the daughters sofa next week.It will go to the dump.Take it to bits or cut it in half should be ok in the Citroen with the seats down.

Butchery is fine if the thing is condemned, but if you have to move it whole you have to be young, strong and hopeful to tie it on the roof and lean out of the windows keeping it steady en route. Better hire a van if you aren't up to that.

My old friend Hoppy, now very ill with Parkinson's, is among many other talents a quite decent stride and blues pianist.

We once moved a piano on the roof of his upright fifties Ford Anglia. A very fraught experience even for four or five of us. Whenever the car went round any sort of bend it would lean over frighteningly far, and then take what seemed forever to very slowly right itself.

Getting pianos up and down London staircases is also something I wouldn't attempt now, but have risked life and limb to do many times in the distant past.

When it didn't have a piano on its roof Hoppy could be an utterly crazed Anglia pilot, tying that poor little Ford's primitive suspension in frightful jerking knots... Never crashed though.

>>
>> We once moved a piano on the roof of his upright fifties Ford Anglia.
>>

I love that image.
I picture a concert grand, sort of straddling the roof, with its legs dangling down the sides.
An upright, strapped down on its back, would not have the same style.

Did he play the piano on the move?
It was an upright, on its back.

What you don't seem to have taken in is that this really happened. I haven't just made it up.
>> It was an upright, on its back.
>>
>> What you don't seem to have taken in is that this really happened. I haven't
>> just made it up.
>>

I realised that. I wasn't questioning the story, merely impressed and curious.
I know about overloading cars with unsuitable things inside and on top - I have carried a steel oil storage tank on the Volvo roof rack, also a long telegraph pole.

I have heard of people moving greenhouses entirely enveloping the car, held off the ground with poles on the roof. I've moved a hen house, complete with occupants.
You could have used the damask, JBJ. There's always demand for a dozen double damask dinner napkins.

open.spotify.com/track/6GtExtZJIs12IJx21Bqn74
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 1 Sep 14 at 18:56
 The car and the sofa...... - Old Navy
You are a bunch of amateur loaders.

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africaandindianocean/11067705/Africas-most-insanely-overloaded-vehicles.html
 The car and the sofa...... - Ted
Watching an ' Only in Russia ' YouTube the other night......I came across a Lada Riva bowling along with a Lada Samara tied on it's roof !
 The car and the sofa...... - WillDeBeest
Great link, ON. Picture 19 shows what duffers Z's original pair are.

5 is my favourite, though. Exception to the usual rule that whenever there are two on a motorbike it's the female that goes on the back. Nice to see Africa leading the way in ridding us of these old sexist practices.
 The car and the sofa...... - Bromptonaut
>> Scenes like this can be observed at IKEA whenever store is open.....

Yesterday saw Mrs B and me at said store in MK. New bed and desk unit for third bedroom.

The newer Berlingo, two rear seats removed in advance, front passenger seat folded forwards and the three six foot plus packs were swallowed.

Meanwhile there's a guy trying to get about ten shelves of similar length into a MINI. He'd got most of them in but was still struggling with last few as the clock ticked up to store close time. His wife must have had to get a taxi home - no way she'd have got in car.
£39 to have two rooms' worth of Biliy and Benno (or its unpronounceable new equivalent) delivered on Saturday. Sounds outrageous but it would have cost £20 in fuel and most of a day to get to Wembley or Croydon - and we'd have had to fiddle the stuff into the car to get it home. (The S60, for a saloon, is surprisingly good at Billy; the front left seat folds flat, giving room for the 2.1m flat packs to slot in lengthwise. Only problem then is where to put the person who helped you load them.)

Anyway, stuff arrived more or less on time on Saturday morning and was mostly assembled (and not by me) by dinner time, when we might otherwise have still been travelling home from the store.

Incidentally, having an hour to spare in Dubai in February, I strolled into the Ikea store there, hoping there might be an Arabic twist to the usual formula. No such luck: could have been in Croydon but for the currency symbols on the price tags.
 The car and the sofa...... - Runfer D'Hills
Fair enough, you couldn't really have taken the LEC to IKEA.
There's probably a Primark nearby I could have parked at.
Latest Forum Posts