Motoring Discussion > Citroen C4 - Plumbing Techniques
Thread Author: Redviper Replies: 13

Citroen C4 - Plumbing Techniques - Redviper
Hi All

While I was topping up screen wash and checking levels of SWMBO’s Citroen C4, I had a bit of a poke around just having a look at what’s what under there.
It’s the VTR+ with the 1.6 HDI 110ps engine.
I notice that there are two radiators, as you are looking towards rear of the engine bay (the radiators closest to you) the one on the left is smaller and (IIRC) there is a fat pipe coming from the top of said radiator into a black box with some electric cables bolted on top of the engine.

I initially though that it was a cooler for a turbo, but as far as I’m aware this engine is naturally aspirated, there is no turbo.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what it is, and what its for? I would really appreciate it.
It’s a great engine (I think so) as there is a lot of power for such a small engine – its very refined as well.
Many Thanks
 Citroen C4 - Plumbing Techniques - Skoda
110ps from a 1.6 diseasal? It's got to be turbo :-P

It'll be the intercooler, you're spot on.
 Citroen C4 - Plumbing Techniques - Tooslow
Is there a non turbo diesel these days? I doubt it. I think this conversation may have been had before?

JH
So it is a turbo?
That’s great news, but we have had the car from new and I’ve never heard or even felt a turbo kicking in though, the car pretty much drives like a petrol engine revs quite high but the only difference it has loads of low end torque.
 Citroen C4 - Plumbing Techniques - Old Navy
>> So it is a turbo?

You sound like a domestic appliance driver. :)

>> You sound like a domestic appliance driver. :)
>>
Quite :-) the C4 has a greater range than the washing machine though.

:-)
 Citroen C4 - Plumbing Techniques - DP
This is a typical modern common rail turbodiesel power delivery. Linear and smooth right through the rev range. Our dCi Scenic was exactly the same.
 Citroen C4 - Plumbing Techniques - Tooslow
But if you look at the web site it is, like so many car manufacturer websites, a complete pain in the derriere. No engine details whatsoever. The best you can do is ask for a brochure to be posted to you. Crafty, they have your address now and you will get junk mail from them and their associates forevermore.

JH
Last edited by: Tooslow on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 12:56
 Citroen C4 - Plumbing Techniques - Focusless
>> But if you look at the web site it is, like so many car manufacturer
>> websites, a complete pain in the derriere. No engine details whatsoever.

There's a fair amount of info if you use the Configurator (not sure if this will work):
www.citroen.co.uk/home/#/configurator/1CB5A5/?engines=Q2&grades=00000170&wheels=_SL71%234%230358&transmission=5&version=1CB5A5JQ25704X70

EDIT: ...although it doesn't mention a turbo :)
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 13:03
Hi Chaps

Thanks for your replys i can tell the Mrs that I was wrong and she does have a turbo :-)

Actually I have just found something on Wikpedia and it states that

DV6 TED4 110 PS (108 hp/80 kW) turbo-Diesel 16-valve

Its my 1st experience with a turbo deisel and I always thought i would notice the turbo kicking in, which made me doubt the presence of one in the 1st place.

Citroen C4 - Plumbing Techniques - Armel Coussine
That C4 is a very pleasant and capable motor Rv. Silent, goes like a rocket, lollops nicely over speed bumps. Your wife is a lucky girl.
Yes she is she loves the car…….my wife to be ;-)

I really like the car too I agree with you the car is comfy, there is no such thing as pot holes in this car, its powerful and very refined engine is so quiet – drives just like a petrol engine but with so much power.

the ONLY issue I have is that to open the bonnet there is a nasty little plastic handle that you have to pull sideways to release the bonnet catch, and if you get it wrong like I did the cable pops out. Luckily the dealer fixed under warranty.

Where as in my Vectra there is a man size lever that you pull towards you – no problems

I hate opening the bonnet on it incase it does it again, but needs must when doing checks.
 Citroen C4 - Plumbing Techniques - Old Navy
Don't get carried away with this "it drives just like a petrol" and actually put petrol in it!
:-)
I wont. or then I would really be in trouble.
Latest Forum Posts