Motoring Discussion > Lorry driver jailed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 8

Lorry driver jailed - BobbyG
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-28983049

I am obviously naïve but I would have thought if you had killed two cyclists on the road then your licence would have been withdrawn immediately pending the investigation?

The fact that two months later he was then involved in a serious crash beggars belief that he was still on the road in the first place?

Is there an option in law to immediately suspend a licence or must it wait to go to court? And why did this take 13 months to come to court, surely after about 48 hours they would have had all the evidence they required?
 Lorry driver jailed - Pat
If it's any consolation the lorry driving community are up in arms because as yet, no action has been taken against his employer for allowing his Drivers Hours infringements and probably encouraging them.

Word is he went to sleep while on cruise control hence the constant 56mph.

I don't think there is an option to immediately suspend a licence but in a clear cut case like this there should be.

Pat
Valid points - I remember commenting when a lorry driver got killed when his lorry blew over in West Lothian. This was when severe weather warnings had been issued and all advice was no high sided vehicles should be out.

Employers should be held far more accountable but I assume there are lots of grey area when agencies and agency drivers etc are then involved who probably only get paid by the completed hour or job?
and re cruise control - I think there should be some sort of input required by the driver for cruise control to be maintained - a bit like dead man's handle on train?
>>a bit like dead man's handle on train?<<

So do I Bobby, that's why I'm not keen on it but modern telematics tell us to use it all the time or lose 'points' from our optimum score.

However in this case I suspect that wasn't a consideration.

Rumour has it that he had sent texts to mates saying his 'work schedule didn't allow for breaks LOL'

Knowing how hard it is for a haulage company to survive legally in that part of the country it's not hard to put two and two together.

He had previous and leopards rarely change their spots.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Mon 1 Sep 14 at 16:16
 Lorry driver jailed - Duncan
>> Knowing how hard it is for a haulage company to survive legally in that part
>> of the country it's not hard to put two and two together.

If that is the case, then they must cease trading.
Only the Traffic Commissioner can make that order but We can't understand why 13 months has passed and there hasn't been an appearance and investigation into the employer.

Even if he wasn't 'at fault' as such it is an employers responsibility to monitor his driver's hours and infringements so he has failed miserably in that duty.

Pat
 Lorry driver jailed - Dutchie
Maybe it's the tip of the iceberg Pat why they won't check the employer.

Once you start on one there are many to follow.Just a thought.
That may be so Dutchie but all the more reason to put a stop to it.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts