Motoring Discussion > Better than Valet parking? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 11

Better than Valet parking? - TheManWithNoName
www.chonday.com/Videos/parking-lamborghini-sky-garage-singapore
 Better than Valet parking? - rtj70
Might be a bit of a wait in the morning when everyone goes out at the same time :-)
 Better than Valet parking? - Armel Coussine
Nice to be able to eye your screamers from your highrise luxury pad, but it's hard to think of a really good reason for it.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but there used to be a mechanical car-cupboard in the City when I worked there. It was called the Zidpark. You drove your car into the lift, got out and watched the lift take your car up to an empty shelf and roll it in sideways. It was quite expensive but people were fascinated by it.

My Bentley was just too bulky for it though. I used to bung the blokes who ran it an occasional fiver and they let me park free all day on a yellow line round at the side.

It didn't last all that long and may have cost its owners a packet. The machinery was just too complicated and must often have gone wrong. A huge ingenious thing though that worked well when new and fascinated technophiles.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 3 Sep 14 at 12:33
 Better than Valet parking? - TheManWithNoName
I must admit to not understanding why driver and car go up in separate lifts.
How the other half live, eh?
I'd love to see a film recording what happens when the lift's don't work.
Would Sir care to take the stairs in his Astonlamborgherrariaserati?
 Better than Valet parking? - neiltoo
Interesting to see the Rhine barges with the captain's car on the rear deck, with a derrick to swing it on and off.
 Better than Valet parking? - Manatee
>>www.leedscarpark.co.uk/about-us

There was one of those in Leeds, where I once worked on Greek St.

www.leedscarpark.co.uk/about-us

I didn't know it was one of only three in the UK. I do remember a car hanging partly out of it once, after something went wrong with it.

Like you I can only think it wasn't cost effective.
 Better than Valet parking? - mikeyb
This one!

www.britishpathe.com/video/robot-car-park/query/Zidpark

Looks like a slick piece of kit for the time.
 Better than Valet parking? - Bromptonaut
>> This one!
>>
>> www.britishpathe.com/video/robot-car-park/query/Zidpark
>>
>> Looks like a slick piece of kit for the time.

Link suggests a £30 charge to view vid.
 Better than Valet parking? - swiss tony
>> Link suggests a £30 charge to view vid.
>>

You can play it in preview mode for free.
I believe the £30 allows a download.
 Better than Valet parking? - Crankcase
Don't forget British Pathè put most of their collection on Youtube. You can watch the zidpark video there for free.

Better than Valet parking? - Armel Coussine
God how brilliant mikeyb! Thanks so much, the very one. On Upper Thames St I think a short walk from my then office in Cannon St. Still clanking away in the late sixties when I tried to use it.

I was living so far beyond my means at that time that I've never recovered. The poor old Bentley was half a ton too heavy for the thing and too long, high and wide to boot. It went into the first rollers but the blokes immediately shook their heads, uh-uh, no way. But they weren't ill-disposed and kept the parking wardens off it round the side on the single yellow pace the odd fiver.

Sometimes, after that all ended, I used to park at meters outside the Bank of England. Sometimes got tickets, sometimes didn't, never got clamped, perhaps just once. You win some you lose some innit.

Better than Valet parking? - WillDeBeest
Of course a Lamborghini is just the thing for Singapore and its 90km/h speed limit.
Latest Forum Posts