Motoring Discussion > Bad day gets worse Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 21

Bad day gets worse - Zero
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/driver-raises-hands-disbelief-after-4155678#rlabs=2
 Bad day gets worse - madf
Kenworthy, 50, already had 11 points on his driving licence and faced being disqualified after doing 57mph near Shiptonthorpe, East Yorks.

Obviously incapable of learning.

Bad day gets worse - Stuartli
>>Obviously incapable of learning.>>

You fail to make it clear that it was a 60mph zone, but that his particular type of vehicle was restricted to 50mph. Probably thought he could get away with it fairly easily.
 Bad day gets worse - Bromptonaut
Fourteen points and he's still driving. What, FFS, is the point of penalties. Will he be able to pull the 'bankruptcy' stunt again next time?
>> You fail to make it clear that it was a 60mph zone, but that his
>> particular type of vehicle was restricted to 50mph. Probably thought he could get away with
>> it fairly easily.

It's not that 'particular' Stu, the lower NSL applies to ALL vans other than those which are (a) car derived and (b) under 2000kg max laden weight. One can sort of excuse people in hire vans being ignorant but not somebody who drives one for a living.
 Bad day gets worse - sooty123
There's loads of people not banned despite having god knows how many points, I think there are people in the 30s pointswise who aren't banned.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25626147
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 4 Sep 14 at 14:04
 Bad day gets worse - Mapmaker
>> I think there are people in the 30s pointswise who aren't banned.

Completely above the law. I can see the reason for giving somebody a 'last chance' when they hit 12 in cases of real hardship, but when they try that again, and again... The mind boggles.
 Bad day gets worse - sooty123
>> Completely above the law. I can see the reason for giving somebody a 'last chance'
>> when they hit 12 in cases of real hardship, but when they try that again,
>> and again... The mind boggles.
>>

I agree, I wonder what the point of err points are in their cases, may as well let them do what they want. Taking them to court is a total waste of time.
>>It's not that 'particular' Stu, the lower NSL applies to ALL vans other than those which are (a) car derived and (b) under 2000kg max laden weight.>>

I was just pointing out that it was not clear just from madf's comment exactly why it was out of order on the driver's part unless you had actually read Zero's link...:-) A very similar story appeared in the Mail, probably contributed by the same freelance journalist or agency.
Fair enough Stu. I wasn't looking for a nark, just pointing out driver had little excuse.
Don't worry...:-)
 Bad day gets worse - Old Navy
He should have been on his phone and smoking, maybe that would get him banned.
 Bad day gets worse - Manatee
Hardly crime of the century, 57 in a 60 limit. Good for him if he can beat the rap on an utterly pathetic piece of law enforcement.

Everybody speeds, to all intents and purposes. I've had the cruise control on at 70 on the M1 today and I think I have often been the overtakee than the overtaker.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 4 Sep 14 at 18:39
 Bad day gets worse - R.P.
I've been sweating on an NIP - I was caught doing over the limit in the car. No NIP to date - week last Tuesday and counting. Maybe all the lasers and radar emissions from my car at that speed disrupted the camera's systems...
 Bad day gets worse - BobbyG
It does bring the whole differing speed limits into focus again.

I drive a standard Ford Transit at work, I really cannot understand why I need to limit my speed to a lesser speed than other vehicles on some roads, but on a motorway I can do the same speed.

And a 3 ton camper van is allowed to go 10mph faster than my Transit?
www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Bad day gets worse - Armel Coussine
I've already had a silly 36mph speeding nip, and I saw two blokes pointing a lens at me yesterday in one of those long silly unnecessary 30 limits. I was following other cars and being followed, just keeping up with the traffic. 35ish on the clock when I checked.

Like a couple of pickpockets at a royal wedding.
 Bad day gets worse - R.P.
:-) I count myself lucky, I do ride/drive quickly and must have exceeded limits without being caught. No excuses form me, although I was wondering whether I should bring in the Volvo's Semi Autonomous Braking at these speeds into my mitigation.
 Bad day gets worse - WillDeBeest
And a 3 ton camper van is allowed to go 10mph faster than my Transit?

Yes, but it won't because the driver knows that any heavy braking will douse him in the contents of the tank of his own poo in the back. Powerful deterrent - a softer (!) version of the spike in the steering wheel.
 Bad day gets worse - Armel Coussine
>> heavy braking will douse him in the contents of the tank of his own poo in the back. Powerful deterrent

God forbid, but were I to attempt a few miles pressing on in one of those ghastly things, I think I'd take the trouble to empty the chemical bucket down a hole or ditch before starting. Not that I associate motorhomes with rational thought really.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 6 Sep 14 at 00:29
 Bad day gets worse - Pat
Of course we all do that as routine AC, but the caravan haters prefer to imagine we don't.

It keeps a small mind amused, I suppose.

Pat
 Bad day gets worse - Boxsterboy

>> I drive a standard Ford Transit at work, I really cannot understand why I need
>> to limit my speed to a lesser speed than other vehicles on some roads, but
>> on a motorway I can do the same speed.
>>

It is a joke. My Transporter with seats can be driven the same speed as a car, whereas the same van with no seats has to go slower. If I take the seats out of my Transporter I can still go the same speed as a car, and have almost the identical vehicle as a van. But the van still has a lower speed limit. As a drive a lot of dual carriageways, this was a big factor in getting a van with seats which are often not in the van!
 Another Mug. - Bromptonaut
Another camera story. West country publican, of Cypriot extraction, named his Father as driver when caught on camera, even after the old man was dead:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2745373/Hotelier-jailed-caught-flicking-V-sign-speed-camera-trying-pretend-dead-father-driving.html
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 6 Sep 14 at 09:18
Latest Forum Posts