Motoring Discussion > A29 commute to Reigate Miscellaneous
Thread Author: KarenR Replies: 5

A29 commute to Reigate - KarenR
Hi, I was hoping someone with experience if the A29 could give me an idea what the journey would be like from Billingshurst to the A24 departing about 7.30am as I need to get to Leigh in Reigate every day. I have done the journey in the middle of the day and it was a breeze but I was wondering if there are any pinch points where the traffic queues, eg. where it joins the a24. Is it a reliable journey time-wise or can it get backed up in places? Thank you to any replies!
 A29 commute to Reigate - Old Navy
Welcome to the forum, that area is way off my patch but folk who know the area will drag themselves out of bed before too long.
 A29 commute to Reigate - Zero
Assume you will be doing A29 to Beare Green and then across country (because the A24 into Dorking clogs up into the cock roundabout)

You got parking sorted out in Reigate? All day parking there is a bitch.
 A29 commute to Reigate - Armel Coussine
We do that trip often (Pulborough to London). It's quite a busy route except very late at night. Traffic usually flows but speeds and journey times are very variable. I've only once done it in under an hour, an hour and a half is good going, two hours normal, two and a half not unknown. Temporary traffic lights here and there make everything worse. Traffic everywhere is worse at this time of year with holidaymakers mixing it with commuter traffic.

I would expect there to be tailbacks at the sort of time you mention, as there is regular long-distance commuting on the route. But I can't say for sure because I try to avoid early mornings whenever possible.

Sorry I can't be more precise KR. My advice would be to leave an extra half-hour for the journey if you can manage it. If you need to get somewhere by a certain time, that is. It's annoying to arrive early, but it can be disastrous to arrive late!

I hope we will see you again KR.

A29 commute to Reigate - helicopter
Welcome to you Karen. I live in Horsham and used to live in Reigate so know the best way is as follows:-

If you are definitely going to Leigh rather than Reigate then the best way from Billingshurst is up the A29 to Five Oaks and then right at roundabout , cut across to Broadbridge Heath and left onto the A24 northbound to the Grear Daux roundabout.

Do not use the A24 to Dorking .Turn right onto the A264 and follow to the next roundabout ( Rusper Road) and turn left towards Rusper , at the village ( The Star Pub) bear left towards Newdigate, follow the road through Newdigate Village until you see the Surrey Oak pub on your left and turn to the left just after the pub and just follow the road until you come to a T junction with Leigh Cricket Ground on your right, turn right, past the Seven Stars pub and you travel a mile or so into Leigh Village centre by the Plough and village green..

If you are going into Reigate itself then turn second left after the Seven Stars and follow your nose.

Time to allow an hour max.
Last edited by: helicopter on Sat 6 Sep 14 at 18:26
 A29 commute to Reigate - Armel Coussine
>> Time to allow an hour max.

Meticulous route planning.

Puts my slack-jawed waddling up the main roads, allowing up to three hours on a bad day, to utter, utter shame. Zero has a good way too being more local than I am.

Mind you coming back by the shortest route in the small hours, with empty roads, can be very brisk and relaxed.
Latest Forum Posts