Motoring Discussion > The return of the Bubble Car? Green Issues
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 21

The return of the Bubble Car? - FotheringtonTomas
bit.ly/dry1hW
 The return of the Bubble Car? - Armel Coussine
Ugly little brute, isn't it. How many bods does it hold? If two it's no go. But if two passengers can fit in the back, and it's dirt cheap, people may be tempted.
 The return of the Bubble Car? - Stuu
I think its a very interesting concept, I look forward to having a poke around one. The guy usually knows what he is doing with car design, so theres hope that it might work. The price will be the defining factor. The Smart is a nice idea, but too much money.
 The return of the Bubble Car? - rtj70
It's a concept and he's looking for partners. The bodywork could be changed.

The two rear passengers sit with their legs either side of the driver so plenty of leg room.
 The return of the Bubble Car? - Tooslow
I wouldn't want to be in a crash in one. But when the oil runs out I reckon you could fit pedals and it would keep the rain off.

JH
>>I wouldn't want to be in a crash in one<<

Why ever not? The size of a car isnt everything - did you see Webbers crash? Theres alot less bodywork on an F1 car than any roadcar - its all about the design underneath and id bet Murray has done the business with crash safety.
OK Stu, you get in one of them and I'll climb in a G Wagen. Meet you in the middle, each of us doing 15mph. OK? :-)

The more tin between me and the accident, the better.

JH
Ill take engineering and good design over caveman logic anyday :-)
 The return of the Bubble Car? - Zero
if it gets into production it will be a flop, no-one wants a car that small, and it will easily be outdone by other cars on the mpg and co2 front in two years.
 The return of the Bubble Car? - RattleandSmoke
Yeah FIATs 2 cylinder multi air engines will be out soon and that will change things a lot. Not quite sure the point of these concepts because the big guys will always get there first.

That said its keeping small British engineering firms in business at least.
www.fiat.co.uk/content/?id=10857 if you're curious.

JH
What is all this mimsy excrement about what happens when you and your little pink nippers crash into a juggernaut because you can't drive?

There is nothing more irrelevant to the cheap efficient preferably rapid transport project with added driving fun. If you are in a proper capsule properly located you will bounce a bit but be perfectly all right. Anyway unless you're a... (add suitable epithet, kind or nasty) ... you won't crash will you?

No, the questions are: How does it corner especially on bumpies, how many little pink bums can be squeezed into it, does it sound like a goddam lawnmower in the loo with you, how much does it drink pedal to the metal, and last but not least are they taking the old urine pricewise like many another one could mention?

I do like 3 cylinder engines although I've never driven one. Perverse of me I know. .
Many sensible points AC, getting the best out of a small car is fun but as for "you and your little pink nippers crash into a juggernaut because you can't drive?", it's the other person's accident that bothers me. The one that includes me, like the BMW test drivers hit by the Toyota the other day.

JH

Scheisse! Lost a post for no reason, mofos!

In a word or two: of course I agree Ts. But the obsession with passive safety is bad in a lot of ways. It has made the automobile obese, thirsty and clumsy, by law.

Young Webber survived the other day unscathed fingers crossed. Perhaps with safety capsules all we will need is helmets.

The more I think about it the more fun it sounds.
 The return of the Bubble Car? - Boxsterboy
It won't work for a number of reasons:

1. It will be too expensive (more than a Smart or IQ).
2. There will be no dealer network.
3. There will be no money for the massive publicity campaign that will be needed and Joe public won't cotton on (yes, they really are that dim).

The only people who will buy it are the 'Notting Hill set' trading up from a G-Whizz.
Best thing they can do is link up with a manufacturer that doesnt sell a direct rival so they can get the cars into showrooms alongside established makes, maybe Saab for instance.
I wonder what engine it will be using - the one mentioned doesnt sound very forward thinking what with these tiny units coming out from Fiat - maybe they should just buy them in.

Cant comment on the price as its two years away from sale so who knows, he seems to have come up with a way to reduce production costs so maybe it wont be as expensive as one expects.
Im impressed he has got as far as making a car - he has been talking about it for years but I thought it was going to come to nothing.
 The return of the Bubble Car? - bathtub tom
>>no-one wants a car that small

'sfunny, I keep seeing quite a few G-Whizzs around London.
 The return of the Bubble Car? - Zero
I dont, hardly see any.

Even if I did see as many as you, its hardly popular is it.
 The return of the Bubble Car? - Bellboy
for anybody living in the real world driving something like a fiesta on todays roads its bad enough because typically women who cant multitask ie drive and think are always tailgating me when i drive such cars at the legal speed,they then drop back and then do the same thing again
so theres no way i want to be in a glorified triangle 3 wheeler pushbike with a small engine between my legs.................
>> for anybody living in the real world driving something like a fiesta on todays roads its bad enough because typically women who cant multitask

Never mind the sexist carp bb, what you say in effect is that people need to drive bigger cars. I absolutely don't agree. Small, efficient and suitable for task is what we need, not fat and thirsty with hundreds of Heath Robinson 'safety' features.

People should simply grow up and realise that they can't have everything. A nice economical little road bullet would suit me fine. Let everyone else waddle about in clunking old fiestas and the like.

However, where is this wonderful little road bullet I want? Nowhere I can see. This new thing is an awkward looking device, although many such have proved better than they looked over the years. We will see, or not as the case may be. They say its speed will be limited to 90mph. But what will it be like at 85 on a nice winding fast road?

What on earth made anyone mention the GWhiz? Grotesque overpriced crawling reluctant ugly piece of crap. Only a total fool would pay good money for one. Met one such at a party once, and you've all heard of him too. Prat.
"what will it be like at 85 on a nice winding fast road?" With a wheelbase that short, terrifying!

JH
 The return of the Bubble Car? - Boxsterboy
>> What on earth made anyone mention the GWhiz? Only a total fool would pay good money for one. Met one such at
>> a party once, and you've all heard of him too. Prat.
>>

Didn't know HJ drove one of those! :-)
Latest Forum Posts