Motoring Discussion > Audi A3 Sportback - Man maths par excellence Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 7

Audi A3 Sportback - Man maths par excellence - legacylad
Anyone else guilty of the aforementioned?
As you may know I am trying to sell an A3 which is surplus to requirements. Not trying too hard though as the only place advertised to date is on here! Anyway, I have become quite attached to the little motor. Everything I don't like in a car. Diesel, small engine, FWD and only 4 cylinders. BUT, it hustles ok and is quite endearing. Practical too. Not as much grip & grunt as my 10yo 330 ragtop, but the £30 RFL and trip computer currently showing 69.4 mpg after a fairly rapid eighty mile round trip visiting friends is more than acceptable.
I'm now thinking (shock horror) of keeping it....the heated seats will be nice during the colder months, selling my beloved 330, but replacing it with a proper RWD two seater come winter. Any downsides....apart from the fact that I will get very little for the almost immaculate 330?
 Audi A3 Sportback - Man maths par excellence - Bromptonaut
Keep the Audi and the 330?
That Bromp, is ridiculously sensible!
Unfortunately, my heart still lusts after some two seater German RWD machinery.
 Audi A3 Sportback - Man maths par excellence - Enderman
69.4 mpg after a "fairly rapid" round trip?
-Remind me which exact model of A3 this is ?
I.6 Tdi
Saturday evening between 8 & 9 on the A65 between The Lakes & Bingley . I was not overtaken by a single vehicle, and surprisingly, on the dual carriageway sections, at an indicated 75, nothing overtook me! I have no idea how accurate the trip computer is, but a good friend assures me that the trip computer on his recent 59 & 62 plate A3 Tdi 140s was very accurate.

Yes, I too was surprised. Nay, amazed.
 Audi A3 Sportback - Man maths par excellence - MD
Rapid / 1.6 Tdi / ?
Yes MD, in a clenched knuckle sort of way....
I think Runfer mentioned that these horrible underpowered 4 cylinder things can be fun given the right circumstances. He was right. I was certainly pushing it and pedalling hard a lot of the journey, whereas in the 330 I get lazy and just boot it in any gear and off it goes. Progress seemed rapid to me. In a diesel sort of way.
 Audi A3 Sportback - Man maths par excellence - Enderman
That stretch of the A65 seems to suit turbodiesels: The undulating, rolling, not too steep hills mean you can build up a nice momentum where you can take your foot completely off on the downhill bits, and only have to lightly top-up the power to get to the top of the next bit. Bizarrely, it seems you can eke out more MPG on such a road than constant speed cruising on the flat, even though that doesn't make sense to me mathematically. This was precisely the road on which I achieved the maximum ever seen on SWMBO's Modus 1.5 dci : 83 mpg, BUT I was deliberately driving for max economy, and the other traffic meant that speeds were generally 45-60 mph. I have also achieved 73 mpg in a 1.3 diesel Astra, but that was on a 200 mile dual-carriageway and motorway trip deliberately never exceeding 55mph. So if 69 mpg has truly been achieved when 'pushing it and pedalling hard', that is pretty amazing.
Latest Forum Posts