Motoring Discussion > JD Power Survey 2010 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 47

JD Power Survey 2010 - movilogo
The result is here

www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2010/the-league-tables/250115

Surprised to see Kia Cee'd in 4th overall - just behind Lexus & Jaguar.

Feeling smug about my recent Cee'd purchase :-)
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Old Navy
>> Feeling smug about my recent Cee'd purchase :-)
>>

Nice feeling isn't it, the non believers will see the light eventually. :)
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Redviper
I cant believe that Renault where ahead of Vauxhall.
:-(
 JD Power Survey 2010 - R.P.
Nice to see Jaguar doing so well - The CRV came second in the SUV thing.
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Zero
>> Feeling smug about my recent Cee'd purchase :-)

why? as a maker Kia only came 4 places above Renault.

thats not a promising future........
Beats an obsolete Mitsubishi any day. :_
 JD Power Survey 2010 - RattleandSmoke
My friends Clio MK2 P2 is the most reliable car I have ever known. She has put over 35k on it and spent less than £500 on servicing and MOTs. Although at nearly 80k that cambelt will snap soon - not the cars fault though. My personal experience is that Renault is a lot more reliable than Vauxhall.

My Panda came second in the city car ratings and was given 5/5 overall. I can't really say any better that. Interesting that the 500 is not as reliable despite being based on the same car.

Its harsly surprising the Ka did so badly as its shares too much of the design of the 1989 Fiesta.

Interest how the Aygo/106/C1 all score diffferently, it just shows how much the dealer has an influence.
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Redviper
>> My personal experience is that Renault is a lot more reliable than Vauxhall.

my personal experience is the opposite, 2 of my Past Vauxhalls I did starship miles in, and they just went on and on.

My Astra G a few issues but started 1st time on the key everytime most important it was well screwed together

The two renault Laguna's I had have aged me ten years, I was glad to get rid of them sorry excuses of "Engineering" i will NEVER by another renault ever again.

Vectra is Faultless i have a little issue with a lose exhaust (i hope) but thats about it

We have the new style laguna as a pool car at work, its been back to the garage 3 times in the two months we have had it, now the petrol cap wont open unless you are travelling down the motorway - Renault, a maker of Quality engineered products, that outclass GM - I dont think so.

Edit : the above is not meant at a dig at you Rats, but i really have to disagree.

Last edited by: Redviper on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 21:15
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Boxsterboy
>> >> Interest how the Aygo/106/C1 all score diffferently, it just shows how much the dealer has
>> an influence.
>>

Or, rather, what a load of rubbish these JD Power surveys are!

I go to my dealer 1 day a year for a service. Why should that make such a difference to the showings of the C1, 107, Aygo for the other 364 days when the cars are after the badge and minor styling differences identical under the skin, in the way they drive, etc.?
 JD Power Survey 2010 - -

>> I go to my dealer 1 day a year for a service. Why should that
>> make such a difference

Turn that on it's head...'i only go once a year and they rip me off for shoddy service', that would sour anyone's view of an otherwise good vehicle.

Speaking from experience my annual visits to the Toyota dealer are pleasant friendly and courteous and the resulting service bills very acceptable.
A good dealer experience is the icing on the cake if the product is good, which it is.

On the subject of the Aygo/C1/107, Toyota wisely didn't facelift the front end of their version with a sledge hammer to the grill area a couple of years ago, what on earth the others were thinking is beyond me.
 JD Power Survey 2010 - RattleandSmoke
It looks like the Cee'd is a lot better than the older Kias in the table :).
you can revel in its svelt good looks and sexy blue paintwork when I see you in the flatlands.
>> you can revel in its svelt good looks and sexy blue paintwork when I see
>> you in the flatlands.
>>

I won't park next to you, it will save you the embarrassment. :)
or the badlands.........
 JD Power Survey 2010 - hobby
Mmm... the Roomie came in at 81st...

Didn't have enough space?! That was one of the reasons I bought it... its massive interior space compared with its rivals such as the Meriva/Fussion/Note, etc.... or were they comparing it with the Berlingo/Doblo?

Pulls to one side or the other... mine doesn't...

Brakes noisy?... nope...

Pugugly, I know you had one... was yours as bad as they have said... or am I just lucky?
No, ran it to 17k, the only problem I had was the erratic tickover of the PD unit. People don't really understand the Roomie. Certainly more oddment space than the CRV. But although the CRV is big, nowhere near as space efficient as the Roomie. I'd buy a Yeti.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 21:17
 JD Power Survey 2010 - mikeyb
C5 is in there at 59, but cant tell if its the new or old model
Even the X type is mid-field....
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Westpig
>> Even the X type is mid-field....
>>

Pedant head 'on'....."It's in the top quarter".....pedant head 'off'
 JD Power Survey 2010 - mikeyb
I wonder if the buyers of Aygos have a perception of Toyota being fantastic therefore are more forgiving? Also I suspect that many buyers of this model have little or no idea of its relationship with its French siblings.

I also wonder if people (like me) who drive French cars get so used to being told that it must / will breakdown that they start to believe it and look to find fault.
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Tooslow
mikey, surely if you have high expectations then you are more likely to be disappointed and the car will score lower. And Aygo owners can't be responsible for lower scores on C1s and 107s. So it's either down to the dealer network or Peugot & Citroen owners are mean spirited devils :-) (I speak as a one time Xantia owner). Then again it could be a statistically insignificant sample - surely not.

JH
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Runfer D'Hills
Somehow, I imagine the sort of people who respond to these surveys would have beards, bad breath, library cards, wives who knit and buy cars from the Pacific rim....
OK everyone, hands up if you completed this survey! :-)

JH
I would dispute the bad breath. :)
I ticked one out of 5 on the pre req list.
Oh here we go, we'll have to guess will we ?
Pacific rim. Mitsubishi. Have a drink, you'll feel better!

JH
Oh you've taken the fun out of it now....
Sorry PU. Exert your God like powers, roll back time, delete the post and let destiny take a different turn.

JH
This survey is a load of cobblers

for example, one car

"drivers didn't think much of the car's exterior styling — particularly at the front end."

NOw clearly someone who buys a car he doesnt like the look of, cant really be trusted to fill in a survey

JD Power Survey 2010 - Runfer D'Hills
I'm not really very keen on the styling of my Qashqai from the outside. In fact I think it's bogging. Inside's OK though and that's where I sit. My wife likes it and it was free so all in all I can live with it.
 JD Power Survey 2010 - PR
Well our Bravo has been faultless and has class leading diesel engine according to most magazines!

Also to put some perspective here, if the % for each car or manufacturer were exam marks they would all get A's. The difference between top and bottom is fairly small
 JD Power Survey 2010 - idle_chatterer
These results don't appear to reflect my experience, e.g. my Mondy was faultless for 3 years whereas I'm surprised to see the Honda Civic so high, our experience (and that of many if you look at Civinfo, What Car or HJ) would rank it considerably lower, the dealers - whilst polite aren't used to dealing with cars which habitually go wrong so we didn't find them particularly adept at fixing the Civic either e.g.:

Exhaust mounts
Rear suspension bushings
Alloy wheels (corrosion)
Shock absorbers
Bump stops
ECU problems / flat battry
Door Handles
Handbrake
Drive shaft
Soft paint

And ours was apparently reasonably good, bought new about 18 months into the model life, changed much earlier than planned after 11K miles and Honda won't be getting our repeat business any time soon.....
 JD Power Survey 2010 - -
IC thats quite a list for any car and surprising for Honda.

I presume that was latest shape, in which incidentally i don't see many of the grey generation that bought the previous models by the ship load..

Forgetting what made them universally popular, bombproof reliability?

>> I presume that was latest shape

It was an FK3 (?) - the latest shape, I (still) like the shape, great interior space and a brilliant 2.2 CTDi engine but they ride like a cart and rattle (possibly as a result), not comfortable, not quiet and (in our experience) not reliable. You cannot see out of the back either, all in all a big disappointment and SWMBO (who's back in a Golf VI now) hasn't really forgiven me for suggesting that she had a Honda for a change..... It's early days but so far the Golf is proving way better from a build / reliability / driving pleasure perspective.

I believe that our experience was far from uncommon and even perhaps a little better than others.
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Skoda
>> It was an FK3

Cracking looking car all the same though :-) Wonder how a body shop would deal with a crumpled rear quarter panel on one of those!
People said it would age badly. It hasnt. Those exhaust pipes still look funky

Pity its such a dog to own.

I agree, they look great still and the funky dash is surprisingly ergonomic too, also they are amazingly capacious. the rear suspension is the real Achilles' heel, it's a crude (compared to a Focus or Golf) torsion beam and gives the truly crashing ride - the 4 door saloon used for the hybrid is the Japan/US civic and has a proper independent setup, it's reportedly significantly better as a result.

The back end panels are mostly plastic.

Oh well, lesson learned !
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 23:39
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Bellboy

>> Cracking looking car all the same though :-) Wonder how a body shop would deal
>> with a crumpled rear quarter panel on one of those!
>>
>>> if you are a member of pas then they would tell you its irreparable
well clearly its not, or it would be a:unisurable and therefore b:unsellable.
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Boxsterboy
We've got an FK3 at work (2.2 diesel) whcih has been more unreliable than any of the other cars we run (Merc, BMW, MINI, Citroen, Peugeot). Not good experience at all, especially with the tyres which are always picking up punctures (and there's no spare!)
 JD Power Survey 2010 - Lygonos
These surveys are not a good source of data, I think the Warranty Direct data that comes out annually gives a better idea of reliability (JD Power is more about "ownership").

Honda S2000 - 2 claims per 100 cars.
Alfa GTV - 77 claims per 100 cars.

Obviously S2000s are driven by aging mimsers who never go over 30mph/2000rpm...

Not.
 JD Power Survey 2010 - DP
I've never understood these surveys.

I always look at the Renault Scenic and Grand Scenic with interest, as it is the best car I've owned at what it does, but the most frustratingly unreliable past 60k.

How can two identical cars in every way bar wheelbase, seating arrangement, and rear quarter glazing score two places apart, with different results for mechanical reliability, interior quality, interior appeal, and dealer service? All these points are identical between the two cars.

I also find it astonishing that people praise the reliability, and whinge about seats. We'd still have ours today if it had worked properly.

JD Power Survey 2010 - Bellboy
best survey you will ever get is a set of traders talking at the cafe wall in the auctions
real time proper whats reliable whats not
followed by watching muppets buy the ones the traders leave coz theysz nose best
where do you think HJ gets his info from
 JD Power Survey 2010 - hobby
Even then you traders will be looking at what you can sell on for a profit... there are cars which are reliable but not in demand, that doesn't make them bad cars, just not suitable for traders...
 JD Power Survey 2010 - DP
And another thing. The Jaguar XF wins the executive class, despite a 2* (poor) mechanical reliability score.

Don't get me wrong, I love the XF, and the rest of it is clearly superb, but if it's unreliable, how can it win?

My boss is well chuffed with his 09 plate, which has now done about 20k. The only gripes have been wind noise (modded door seals are available) and the fact the first set of rear pads lasted only 15k. Otherwise it's been good. Sounds like he might have been lucky though.
Last edited by: DP on Fri 2 Jul 10 at 13:57
 JD Power Survey 2010 - corax
>>How can two identical cars in every way score two places apart
>> with different results for mechanical reliability, interior quality

Its the same with the Volvo S40 and V50. The V50 always seems to do worse than the S40, but apart from the body shape, they are identical. How come? Maybe owners have higher expectations with an estate, so mark it down when disappointed. But that doesn't explain things like mechanical reliability.
Last edited by: corax on Fri 2 Jul 10 at 17:02
 JD Power Survey 2010 - madf
JD Power is Owner Satisfaction.

Period.

Nothing to do - directly - with relaibility.

Reports what it says.

Anyone who buys a Renault expecting relaibility is deluded or naive imo. Or buying a Mercedes with new technology and expecting it to work.
Latest Forum Posts