Motoring Discussion > BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox Miscellaneous
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 10

BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - mikeyb
Just got back from France. This time the nice guy in the hire car office gave me a BMW 1 series.

I've never been a BMW fan, no reason / dislike, just not appealed to me.

Anyway, model in question was a 116d sport auto.

Firstly I was surprised how much I liked it, but I wasn't sure what type of autobox it has. Its a new 8 speed steptronic box which changes gear effortlessly with no perceptible change other than the rev counter dropping, but on a couple of occasions at roundabouts it wasnt as smooth as I would have expected.

I had a quick look and couldn't work out it its a proper torque converter, or some kind of automated manual? anyone know?
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - bathtub tom
If it's an 8 speed, I'd guess it's CVT.
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - Boxsterboy
I believe its a ZF 8-speed TC box?
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - PeterS
>> I believe its a ZF 8-speed TC box?
>>

That's what I think too.
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - mikeyb
A miss-spent afternoon googling has indeed revealed that its a TC box.

As it was so economical and didn't have the same feel (slurring) that I am used to with TC box's I thought perhaps it was something else like dual clutch etc

Definitely something I would consider in a new car.
Last edited by: mikeyb on Fri 12 Sep 14 at 18:47
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - carmalade
More info here;www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXrHDjcQIIU
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - Runfer D'Hills
Can't begin to say why but I prefer manuals when a car is small with moderate power but I much prefer autos on larger cars with stronger engines.

Buzzing around in a wee hatchback somehow suits a manual gearbox whereas wafting about in a big thing seems more appropriate with an auto.

A 1 series seems too small for an auto to me. Illogical reasoning on my part I'd admit. A 3 could be either but a 5 would be better with an auto.

Like I said, I can't really say why.
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - R.P.
I get on with the box on the V40 - grunty engine, especially in "Sports" mode - bloomin 'eck - engage warp factor 3 ! We had a Mazda 2 auto on hire in the States...it was dreadful...economical but dreadful
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - DP
The ZF8 box is nothing short of a revolution. I had a go in a mate's 320d with one. It's faster than the 6 speed manual in any situation. Changes gear imperceptibly, never gives you that slipping clutch feeling that always drives me nuts with TC autos, and is just always in the right gear for whatever you want to do. It apparently also adapts to your driving style, so it gets better and better with use. Cracking 'box. I will have one next time without hesitation if I go for another 320d.
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - rtj70
And it proves a TC gearbox can be efficient. I think I'd prefer a ZF 8 speed auto to the 7 speed DSG I'll be getting. Or even a 9 speed :-) Although the DSG with a petrol engine seemed better to me than the two diesel cars I've tried with DSG... I wonder if it's a revs thing so to speak?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 13 Sep 14 at 19:24
 BMW 1 Series E81/E87 - BMW 1 Series autobox - IJWS14
That link is to a torque converter auto
Latest Forum Posts