Motoring Discussion > Smoke again Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 10

Smoke again - Armel Coussine
Took more than 3 hours to get from Sussex to Notting Hill, starting at 3.15. Plenty of empty roads on the way in, but horrible crawling carp further in, on and on. Saw the widow of my Trinidadian white-shoes guru while herself did posh-feminist book group stuff. Then met herself at the William IV which no longer has Leffe. I sourly drank a half of some damn lager, more than 2 quid, and bought herself a large glass of Rioja, only £8.50. She said it was nice though.

Then we came here to the Islington ridge. It's a dead straight main road trip, Harrow Road Marylebone Road Euston Road Pentonville Road. That took an hour and a half, lots more mimsing and taking ages to move when the lights change, being in the wrong lane and so on... but I'm pretty good at that laneswopping on this route, been doing it since the sixties.

Now we're here having eaten something and had a proper drink or two, with scratchcards in the jalopy making it safe until 2.30 tomorrow afternoon.

God I feel old. I hope herself gets up before me tomorrow and gets a comic and some coffee filters.
 Smoke again - Armel Coussine
Now there are all these familiar-looking old rockers poncing about on the telly and being quite annoying. The sixties and seventies were far more crap than people realise.

I suppose I ought to change the channel.
 Smoke again - Old Navy
>> Took more than 3 hours to get from Sussex to................>>

That would give you about 180 miles up here, you must really like sitting in your cars down there. :)
 Smoke again - legacylad
Not if you get stuck behind a tractor pulling a heavily loaded slurry trailer. And won't pull over. Or some old farmer on the A65 chugging along on his 30yo tractor at 15mph with a long queue of traffic behind who is also inconsiderate. It happens. Not often, but when it does it makes for some stupid overtaking manoeuvres from the odd frustrated driver.
 Smoke again - Zero

>> That would give you about 180 miles up here, y

From the back of beyond to the middle of nowhere. I'd stay at home if that was my only option.
 Smoke again - Mike Hannon
>>a large glass of Rioja, only £8.50<<

Gulp. I think I'm destined to die in exile...
 Smoke again - wokingham
That's what I pay for a decent bottle, to drink at home! I am destined to die at home!
 Smoke again - Bill Payer
>> >> Took more than 3 hours to get from Sussex to................>>
>>
>> That would give you about 180 miles up here, you must really like sitting in
>> your cars down there. :)
>>

...and they say they're concerned about air pollution from vehicles.
 Smoke again - Bromptonaut
I suspect street closures for the Tour of Britain finish in Westminster yesterday contributed to your problems AC.

Traffic in central London on a Sunday is a lottery though.
 Smoke again - Cliff Pope
>> I suspect street closures for the Tour of Britain finish in Westminster yesterday contributed to
>> your problems AC.
>>

We've only just had the Tour de France. Are we hosting any more of these things?
 Smoke again - Zero

>> We've only just had the Tour de France. Are we hosting any more of these
>> things?

Yes.
Latest Forum Posts