Motoring Discussion > BMW - Should I lay up my car? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 25

BMW - Should I lay up my car? - legacylad
Had my 330 Mtech convertible now for over 5 years and it is worth far more to me than anyone else. FSH, recent major service with new rear discs, and still almost like new despite being an '04. However I have just booked a very last minute trip to visit my friends in CA, then return for a few days before going to Madeira, then back to CA for a a long holiday over the Thanksgiving holiday period. Have applied for a job working in a European ski resort for the season, and if that doesn't happen I shall be away most of Jan/ February/march.
For the next 7 months it will have very little use, so should I reluctantly let it go or just leave it in my garage, where there is no one to keep an eye on it. What would you do please?
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - sooty123
Leave it in the garage. I wouldn't sell it, is there anyone you trust to look after it.

If not just leave it, i've left mine for 5 months and would do it again. Didn't even think of selling it.
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - Bromptonaut
Put it in the garage SORN and on appropriate theft/fire etc insurance. Follow whatever current advice is re layup for ventilation tyres, engine etc.

Better still keep it road legal and find someone who can keep an eye on it and give it run every few weeks. Only needs enough miles to get it thoroughly warm.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 16 Sep 14 at 12:35
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - Cliff Pope
>> it is worth far
>> more to me than anyone else.

How sad. Is there no one? Just you and your car? :)
'Oh dear, how sad, never mind''

Quite problematic really. My detached garage is alarmed so it would mean giving someone a set of house keys & alarm code. Insurance is with the IAM and you may need to be a member to be added onto a policy. My only relation who drives lives 30+ miles away so not fair to ask him to just 'call round' and take it for a spin, and I am not going to leave it outside his house on the road. Or pay lots of ££ to put it on his policy.
Should be ok for a month, but if I do go abroad for the winter ski season, which is the best part of 5 months, I will then be seriously tempted to sell it.
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - sooty123
it'll be fine for 5 months. Flat tyres and battery will be about it. Each to their own, but if it meant that much to me i'd keep it.
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - Cliff Pope
Sorry legacylad, you missed the joke. You appeared to be saying that the car was dearer to your heart than any human could be. :)
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - Roger.

>> Should be ok for a month, but if I do go abroad for the winter
>> ski season, which is the best part of 5 months, I will then be seriously
>> tempted to sell it.

Chalet girl?
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - Zero
if you store make sur sits done dry, hood up with windows open. Last thing you want is mil dew.
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - Gromit
I'd park it up, unless someone made you an offer you couldn't refuse for it.

Think of all the summer cars Canadians park up while driving their winter beaters during the snowy season...they come to no harm given basic care in garaging them. It wont cost much either - no tax and the insurance should cheap as its not on the road. After all, that's why its not worth your while selling it!
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - Runfer D'Hills
I used to regularly leave my old Golf GTi for 3 or even 4 months at a time parked outside my UK house when I worked in Brazil. Sometimes ( in winter ) it'd be a bit sluggish to turn over / start on my return but it never actually failed to with a bit of cranking. I guess the alarm used to run the battery down a bit. I just checked the tyre pressures and fluids on my return and drove off.

Bird ( poo with an s ) was the only real downside. Black car y'see.

Dunno if it'd be safe to leave it on one but I've heard of things called trickle chargers although I'm not sure I've ever seen one. Certainly never used one.

What about the Audi? Same deal?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 16 Sep 14 at 21:21
Probably Runfer....fly out to the US middle of next week. Got tickets for the final Giants games at AT & T Park. Back mid Oct then off again. Too late to put on AT. Might send Audi to BCA when I return.
I'm a great believer in YOLO so when the opportunity arose to visit my CA friends, watch ball games, enjoy an air display during Fleet Week in SF and have a few days in sunny Vegas, it was too good to miss! Amazingly cheap flight prices too!
Not even slightly jealous. At all. Nope. Who would be. Sounds a real bore in fact. Pah !

:-(

Anyway, where's the GF in this excursion equation, or has she been sacked / put on the back burner so to speak?

No need to reply of course, if it's inappropriate.
Not inappropriate Runfer....
If you read between the lines, 'granny's friend' has been dumped. Too much going on in her life with family and horrendous work commitments.
Not a happy time but travel is good for the soul. As are margeritas in my friends hot tub and warm sunny days. Hey ho. Worse things happen at sea as my old Dad used to say. And he should know as he was on several Arctic convoys.
Well, good luck in whatever the next few months brings LL. I can certainly see the attraction of wintering somewhere other than The North of England.

If you can garage both cars I'd not worry about them too much. In fact I'd not worry about them at all. Flat battery issues perhaps but nothing life threatening.
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - swiss tony
>> For the next 7 months it will have very little use, so should I reluctantly let it go or just leave it in my garage, where there is no one to keep an eye on it. What would you do please?
>>

How about lending it to me?
I'll keep it running for you, keeping the battery charged, and I'll check the tyre pressures...
All I ask, is a full tank of fuel.... ;-)
>> >> For the next 7 months it will have very little use, so should I
>> reluctantly let it go or just leave it in my garage, where there is no
>> one to keep an eye on it. What would you do please?
>> >>
>>
>> How about lending it to me?
>> I'll keep it running for you, keeping the battery charged, and I'll check the tyre
>> pressures...
>> All I ask, is a full tank of fuel.... ;-)

A credit card would be better.
Not sure about that, although you can have it cheap if you like.
Maybe it's time for a change. Amongst other things.
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - Lygonos
Hmmm cheap you say...

And there's me gonna be in the Ribble valley mid October....

Hmmm....
And there's me in sunny CA....currently 84 degrees at 4pm where my friends live in Placerville, according to the live webcam on Main Street.
Actually I'm back on the 12th but away again on the 17th.
If I come back......
What are you? A lizard?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXKK5U3ihwc

courtesy of Bill Hicks Esq (slightly rude...)
>> Hmmm cheap you say...
>>
>> And there's me gonna be in the Ribble valley mid October....

Got your "yes" escape plan in place then?
That's a good point.

I'd better dig out my passport and make sure it's still valid.
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - Victorbox
Pump up tyres to about 40 psi. Park it with handbrake off and chock wheels. Buy a battery minder or disconnect battery if there is no mains power supply. If garage is dry with no rodent issues you could wind down windows a smidge to provide some ventilatation.
>> Pump up tyres to about 40 psi. Park it with handbrake off and chock wheels.
>> Buy a battery minder or disconnect battery if there is no mains power supply. If
>> garage is dry with no rodent issues you could wind down windows a smidge to
>> provide some ventilatation.

Here is an idea. Pass it on to the nearest C4P-er to you, they run it for two weeks, then pass it on to the next nearest one, etc etc

You could even run a sweep to see what part of the country it ends up in when you get back.
 BMW - Should I lay up my car? - Skip
>> Here is an idea. Pass it on to the nearest C4P-er to you, they run
>> it for two weeks, then pass it on to the next nearest one, etc etc
>>
>>
>> You could even run a sweep to see what part of the country it ends
>> up in when you get back.
>>

Great idea Z. I suppose at some point it could come into Rattle's hands, that should give it some exercise ! Be ideal if it ended up with Stu as at least LL would get it back clean.
Last edited by: Skip on Wed 17 Sep 14 at 10:31
Latest Forum Posts