Motoring Discussion > Insurance Cover for non UK Driver Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 5

Insurance Cover for non UK Driver - Duncan
My son and family are coming to the UK next month. I have tried to get them cover as additional named drivers on my policy, but the insurance company will not insure drivers who are not resident in the UK.

Any ideas please?

Short term cover with another company?

Renew my policy a month early with another company and add their names?
 Insurance Cover for non UK Driver - Zero
Are they staying or vacation?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 18 Sep 14 at 21:42
Vacation.
 Insurance Cover for non UK Driver - Gromit
I've never had problems getting temporary cover for visitors on EU or Canadian licences. This year, it was actually cheaper add an all-drivers extension, and any EU licence holder over 25 was covered.

The relevant policy is underwritten by Axa, through my local broker, if that helps.
 Insurance Cover for non UK Driver - Mike H
I'm a non-UK resident, but have an EU licence. LV wouldn't let me be a permanent named driver on my father's policy, but they have no problem adding me when I visit him, charging just a 15GBP admin fee each time irrespective of how long it's for.
Last edited by: Mike H on Thu 18 Sep 14 at 22:46
The company I am currently with tell me that they won't/don't cover drivers resident outside the UK.

My present policy only has a month to run, so I have taken out insurance with the company that I used two years ago. They assure me categorically that they will cover non-UK resident drivers.

PITA, but a lot cheaper than renting a self-drive car.
Latest Forum Posts