A621 Baslow to Totley - Derbyshire/South Yorkshire
A625 Calver to Sheffield - South Yorkshire
A54 Congleton to Buxton - Derbyshire
A581 Rufford to Chorley - Lancashire
A5004 Whaley Bridge to Buxton - Derbyshire
A675 Blackburn to Preston - Lancashire
A61 Barnsley to Wakefield - South/West Yorkshire
A285 Chichester to Petworth - West Sussex

According to the Road Safety Foundation. None round my way then.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10454356.stm

Top 10 most dangerous roads - Zero
I would dispute that hugely.

The A285 palls into insignificance to the number of deaths on the A3 M25 J10 to Guildford.

5 at the burpham section alone in the last 18 months.
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Tooslow
In other words any road that presents a bit of a challenge, that requires attention, effort and, if you're driving properly, skill. Will they be sanitised, made anodyne and homogenous? Their character removed along with the dry stone walls and the sheep? Maybe the view should be fenced off too.

I remember when driving was fun :-( And it still is if you know when and where to look. You don't have to break the law to string a series of bends together most satisfyingly and know you got it right. But we have to protect the "unintentional acceleration Toyota" drivers from themselves. The ones who get confused between that pedal there that makes it go faster and the other one that stops it.

JH
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Redviper
A66
Entire section from Cumbria to Middlesbrough

No slip roads to join this, several single sections cars cross straight over it to get to the other side, lots of lorries, and blind summits also parts of it are unlit make this a very dangerous road if care is not taken.
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - CGNorwich
Presumably arrived at by counting road deaths. Most of these roads are used as race tracks by motorcyclists.

Personally I would rate the A12 as far worse with its huge traffic volume, inadequate slip roads and many junctions as one of the worst. See an accident virtually everytime I use it
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Old Navy
the A9 Perth to Inverness, a lethal combination of single and dual carriageways.
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Dog
The roads in Cornwall are in secret partnership with the grim reaper, I would say,
especially among the motorcycling fraternity :(
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - madf
If you read the article, there is a simple way of reducing accidents by 25%.. By a simple Act.

But Darwinism rules.

PS I see of the most dangerous are within 20 miles of us. Well what a surprise.

"Most crashes happened at weekends during the summer in dry, daylight conditions."

Which says it all.
Last edited by: madf on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 10:40
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Badwolf
>> "Most crashes happened at weekends during the summer in dry, daylight conditions."
>>
>> Which says it all.

It would seem that the list of roads could also be 'top ten' of roads that are popular with motorcyclists.

I'm not trying to wind up our two-wheeled friends, but it does seem to be more than a bit of a coincidence. I drive along the A581 between Rufford and Chorley very regularly and it's a lovely road (as far as Croston at least), with sweeping bends and long straights - exactly the sort of road that would get my juices flowing if I were a motorcyclist. However, the amount of eejits that I come across when I'm attempting to 'make progress' defies belief and I can quite easily comprehend how a nasty collision might occur.

But, to use a well-worn argument, there is no such thing as a dangerous road. There are factors that can make it more challenging, and risky, to drive on but to call a road dangerous is a bad idea as it encourages people to abrogate their personal responsibility and, if anything goes wrong, to simply blame the road rather than look at their own short-comings.
Note that these are English roads. If you combine Scottish & English roads the English get bumped out of the top spots.

JH
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Harleyman
If you combine Scottish & English roads the English
>> get bumped out of the top spots.
>>
>>
>>

Chuck Welsh ones into the equation too, and all of a sudden the English roads don't look too bad after all.

In recent years, roadside "shrines" have tended to mark up the really dangerous blackspots in South Wales, and I daresay elsewhere. Interestingly enough, most of them seem to be for car-driving teenagers.

I would be willing to bet a sizeable sum that if motorcyclists were to be completely banned from those roads listed aboove, at weekends, the accident rate wouldn't fall that much, although I would concede that overall fatalities might.

Despite being a biker myself, and not averse to the odd bit of fast twisty road, I do wish that some of my fellow riders would use track days to get the demons out of thier system.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 18:35
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Dave_
Someone near me really fancies this tree next to the road, they keep buying it cards and flowers and stuff.

It's not even a particularly attractive tree, the trunk's all scorched and some of the bark is missing.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 19:55
It could be its birthday?

JH
Last edited by: Tooslow on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 20:01
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - R.P.
Reading the article in local rag - the roads fingered in N Wales are all qualifiers for the Department for the Bleedin Obvious contributions - roadside shrines, don't start me on them, but at least when riding on roads that I'm less acquainted with they provide useful little warnings.....
Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 22:24
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Pat
There are no dangerous roads, only dangerous and incompetent drivers.

Pat
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Dog
>>There are no dangerous roads, only dangerous and incompetent drivers<<

Wise words effendi.
Confirms your post Pat.

No fixed cameras in Fife, only lots of camera vans.

www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/roundup/articles/2010/07/01/401916-cops-catch-32-drivers-speeding-at-death-crash-scene/
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 1 Jul 10 at 10:48
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Focusless
>> There are no dangerous roads, only dangerous and incompetent drivers.

Great - we can get rid of all those road planners then; just put down any bit of tarmac, no need for those expensive white lines either :)
A competant driver can drive on any road in any conditions, or know when to stop. Try some roads in remote parts of the world.
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Focusless
>> A competant driver can drive on any road in any conditions, or know when to
>> stop. Try some roads in remote parts of the world.

Great, more money saved - only cater for the competent drivers :)
Indeed! Why cater to the lowest common denominator?

JH
LCD;

"She was parking and thought she'd hit the brake but hit the accelerator. She thought the brakes had failed and hit the accelerator again and careered through the wall."

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10475343.stm

JH
 Top 10 most dangerous roads - Skoda
>> She was parking and thought she'd hit the brake

She passed a driving test though. It's a hard one, trying to filter out the folks who meet the grade and the ones who don't.

We don't do ourselves any favours. There's no consideration for:

- pupil's mental state - some folks really are quivering wrecks on their test, but pass it, then continue to be a quivering wreck for the next 40 years behind the wheel - it's not that they don't have the skills, they do, they passed the test, it's just that they're scared. That's completely ok, that *can* be fixed, it's not ok to just pass them and pretend it's not an issue because they managed to demonstrate the skills.

- repeat testing for catching deterioration over time, would i pass if i resat? No chance, not without some lessons to remove any bad habits i've picked up. Would probably help the folks least likely to think they need it -- folks who've been driving for a few years.

- motorway driving

- driving at night

All the misc bits and bobs of owning a car:

- Do you have an understanding of motor insurance, why you need it, how you get it etc. Sounds easy but some folks are the first people in their family to get a car. They make a hash of the easy bits like filling the car at the petrol station never mind insurance.

- Do you know what to do if you have an accident?

I'd maybe even go further, here's an accident, step by step here's what happened, driver A did... blaa blaa blaa maybe even finishing off with pictures of the aftermath? Maybe excessive though?

There's more could be done to set people up for driving for the rest of their lives.

Top 10 most dangerous roads - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
I know numbers 1-5 and number 7 well on two and four wheels. They are no more challenging than any other winding A road. Most of them have blind bends and have few places to overtake.
But pleasant roads if the other traffic does not get in your way.
Latest Forum Posts