Motoring Discussion > West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 35

West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - Manatee
I shall be going to Whitby for a few days, mid week. As always I am looking forward to a longish drive but need to make a decent average to get there in 5-6 hours, allowing for a break..

I'll probably leave at 6-7am. I'd rather take the A1, from the Black Cat roundabout up to the A64 than use the A5/ M1. Google maps says an extra 20 minutes for the A1 route which is fine by me.

If any of our regular long distance travellers know of any major hassles with the A1 route just now, I'd be grateful for a word to the wise:)

West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - Runfer D'Hills
Not aware of anything tragic currently on the A1. Good fish and chips in Whitby too. Going for a Goth convention?

;-)
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - legacylad
Sorry no idea with regard to your question, but a few years ago we stayed at The Leeway B & B. Very nice it was too. Day one we caught the bus to Saltburn and walked back. Day two we walked South to Scarbados (as my police friends stationed there call it) and caught the bus back.
Poor GF at the time was exhausted.
>>Going for a Goth convention?
>>
>> ;-)

Drat. Secret exposed.

It's a cottage rental with a few friends. As it happens one of them was a special effects man, who worked on a 1970s BBC production of Dracula, so we will all have a night in watching it on DVD.

Fish and chips will definitely be on the menu at least once!

I haven't been to Whitby properly for about 40 years, and that was a lads drinking weekend so I can't remember it.
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - Bromptonaut
Don't know about the A1.

M1 has a 50 limit from J16 to just north of 19 for (a) barrier replacement 16-19 and (b) J19 (M1/M6/A14) junction rebuild.

Presume barrier replacement Sheffield>Chesterfield is also still still extant with 10+ miles at 50 albeit works have moved S
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 21 Sep 14 at 22:44
That and the likely morning clag up around Nottingham clinches it I think.
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - PhilW
"Sheffield>Chesterfield is also still still extant with 10+ miles at 50 albeit works have moved"

Nearer 20 miles, I think, of barrier replacement on M1 if you follow it all way to Leeds - very congested at rush hours. I lost about 45 mins coming South one day last week (A1 was closed S - bound at Junction with M18) and there were long queues going North Js 23-25, 28- 31 and Wakefield to Leeds.
Could use M18 to A1 to avoid Wakefield -Leeds congestion?
Could also get from M1 to A1 by using A46 from J21A to Newark - it's dual carriageway all the way now and relatively quiet.
Must admit that avoid M1 as much as possible these days ! Always congested and any breakdown/accident in roadworks causes chaos.
Also, have you thought of going A1, M18, M62 then A614 from Howden - Driffield - Scarborough then over the NY Moors to Whitby? A614 not fast but relatively quiet and nice scenery/drive over the Wolds to Staxton Hill to join A64 for last few miles to Scarborough?
P
Last edited by: PhilW on Sun 21 Sep 14 at 23:10
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - Bromptonaut
>> Also, have you thought of going A1, M18, M62 then A614 from Howden - Driffield
>> - Scarborough then over the NY Moors to Whitby? A614 not fast but relatively quiet
>> and nice scenery/drive over the Wolds to Staxton Hill to join A64 for last few
>> miles to Scarborough?
>> P

That was my standard route to Scarborough last few times I was there.
Good idea. I had thought of going via Market Weighton/Malton anyway.

That's settled then, set off half an hour earlier and Driffield it is subject to traffic exigencies on the day!
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - bathtub tom
Black cat can be a nightmare, I presume you're intending A421 - A1? I'd recommend listening to local traffic reports before going there: www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/a1-black-cat-roundabout-improvements/

Just back from Kop hill. Brilliant day!
Thanks bt. Yes I also went to Kop Hill, spent Saturday afternoon there. Also went over yesterday to trailer back the black XK120 that you might have seen on one of the charity stands - I should have been driving it back but it was poorly:(

So I missed Jay Kay's LaFerrari going up the hill. Pretty nippy from what I heard - did you see that?
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - bathtub tom
>>So I missed Jay Kay's LaFerrari going up the hill. Pretty nippy from what I heard - did you see that?

I was only there Sunday, missed most of the runs as I was manning a stand all day, although I did spend enough time wandering around the paddock. Still think I can smell 'R'.
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - Zero
>> I shall be going to Whitby for a few days, mid week. As always I
>> am looking forward to a longish drive but need to make a decent average to
>> get there in 5-6 hours, allowing for a break..

5 or 6 hours? Did it in 4 hours from Surrey earlier this year, and you are nearer than me!

Anyway I did A1 all the way.
Manatee
Went up M1 today - no choice. There were 22 miles of barrier repairs after J 28!
Not too bad actually because it was after rush hour (about 10am ish) - apart from the aforementioned rolling roadblocks at 47mph who slow to 40 at every camera to make sure they don't get done!
P
"Did it in 4 hours from Surrey earlier this year, and you are nearer than me!"

270 ish miles in 4 hours? Good going!
Don't you need to stop for coffee/use of facilities/Gregg's pasty??

"A1 all the way."

A1 all the way to Whitby??

;-)

P
>> "Did it in 4 hours from Surrey earlier this year, and you are nearer than
>> me!"
>>
>> 270 ish miles in 4 hours? Good going!
>> Don't you need to stop for coffee/use of facilities/Gregg's pasty??
>>
>> "A1 all the way."
>>
>> A1 all the way to Whitby??

well until it got close to whitby anyway....

Went up the A1 today, only as far as Stamford. Apart from the jam on the M25 near home because of the illegals scattered around the carriageway, (that was 08:45) I didn't stop. A1 was a peach, tho there were dire warnings of an accident up near J30 something.
"well until it got close to Whitby anyway...."

40 or 50 miles - including across the Moors?
;-)

Anyway, no matter, it's a nice drive across those Moors either from Scarborough or from Pickering via Saltersgate or from North via Guisborough and near Roseberry Topping.
And of course, in the old days the "proper" RAC rally used to go across those Moors and through Forest Stages to Flask Inn - many a good nights viewing of the rally/cars in the late '60s
Lovely country, spectacular rallying.
P
>> >> 270 ish miles in 4 hours? Good going!
>> >> Don't you need to stop for coffee/use of facilities/Gregg's pasty??

A wee and a takeaway costa was the only break. It was an 06:00 departure from my place. T be fair I actually went to a place called Killdale only 260 miles. I then managed to beat the train into whitby to film it again.

Came back over the NYM past fylingdales, last time I was there they had the golf balls now replaced by wedges of cheese.

50 miles out of 280 total is close!
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Sep 14 at 19:45
"50 miles out of 280 total is close!"

I'll grant you that Z!
As an aside (or three!), I grew up in Scarborough and had an enthusiastic "trainspotter" Geog teacher who organised for a group of us to go on last train from Scarborough to Whitby and back (1963ish Beeching Closure"???) Prob got some photos at the bottom of a cupboard somewhere) and took my kids on the Pickering -Grosmont steam railway a few years ago. Not sure they appreciated the scenery but loved the steam train.
I remember Fylingdales being built to give us the "4 minute warning" - we used to go for picnics at Ellerbeck Bridge nearby before it was built. Also recall that it added a couple of miles to the "Lyke Wake Walk" from Osmotherly to Ravenscar 'cos had to go round the perimeter fence. Had a couple of schoolmates who worked there - they couldn't tell us what they were doing!
P
Last edited by: PhilW on Mon 22 Sep 14 at 20:19
It's decided now subject to traffic exigencies.

A1 to M18, M62E, off at Howden on A614 to Driffield, north to Staxton then A64 into Scarborough, round by the railway station so I can eyeball the Stephen Joseph Theatre where we will be going to see an Ayckbourn job at the weekend, and through to Whitby across the moors on the coast side.

Google maps says about 5 hours/235m from me.

Thanks for the suggestions - I probably wouldn't have thought of going via Scarborough, I had just got a bit focussed on avoiding the M1 which I have seen far too much of in my motoring life.

Now I need another thread to choose the fish and chip shop...
"Stephen Joseph Theatre where we will be going to see an Ayckbourn job at the weekend"

Hope you will have a look at the "Bob Watson Archive" while there and maybe sit in the "Barbara Watson" sponsored seats.
B & B W were my parents - Dad spent almost every evening there after Mum's death and sorted the previously chaotic archives. Got to be a good friend of Ayckbourn. I used to kid him when we were on the phone and he said " I was talking to Alan last night...." And I would always say "Alan? Alan who?" To which he replied "Alan Blo...y Ayckbourn of course" "Never heard of him" I'd say. 10 years since Dad died so please pardon my name dropping and reminiscences. Met Ayckbourn a few times - very nice bloke but very quiet and unassuming
If you would like to follow Dad's example after the performance you should go to the bar and buy all the cast a whisky!
Hope you have a good evening (Restaurant is/was good if you need to eat)
P
That's amazing Phil, I've just been reading about the Bob Watson Archive!

Yes the idea is that 10 of us will eat in Scarborough afterwards - we're going to the Saturday matinee of Roundelay - I'll look into the restaurant idea if it's not too late already.
I stuffed my gob in the Quayside. Expensive, 15 quid for large cod, chips, mushy peas, home made tartar sauce, and a bottle of ale, but very scrumptious
>> I stuffed my gob in the Quayside. Expensive, 15 quid for large cod, chips, mushy
>> peas, home made tartar sauce, and a bottle of ale, but very scrumptious

That sounds OK to me for a sit down meal, that's also the current title holder I think. Somebody else has recommended Hadley's.
>> I stuffed my gob in the Quayside. Expensive, 15 quid for large cod, chips, mushy
>> peas, home made tartar sauce, and a bottle of ale, but very scrumptious

Ended up doing exactly the same last night. Hadley's closed too early, queue at Magpie, so had the Yorkshire special at Quayside as above but with haddock, and a bottle of Black Sheep.

Whitby is far better than I remembered it, the opposite of most visits to UK seaside resorts. To Scarborough this afternoon for the theatre.

Had a brilliant day yesterday on the NYMR. Went Grosmont-Pickering, the broke the journey back at Goathland - still a lovely spot despite being Heartbeat-ised. We were then hauled backed to Grosmont behind Sir Nigel Gresley.
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - Skip

>> Came back over the NYM past fylingdales, last time I was there they had the
>> golf balls now replaced by wedges of cheese.

I always look forward to the drive across the NYM from Pickering to Whitby when we holiday in that area. It would be great to drive it in an open 2 seater classic.
Do Goths eat fish and chips? Suppose they must do.
I expect they do when in Whitby. Be daft not to.
I suppose they're allowed to provided they pretend to continue to to look miserable about it. It'd be fairly uncool to be a contented looking Goth I'd have thought. Not that I'm any kind of expert on the matter.

Richard Wilson went to Whitby in a Morris Minor I want to say. They filmed him doing it.
>> I suppose they're allowed to provided they pretend to continue to to look miserable about
>> it. It'd be fairly uncool to be a contented looking Goth I'd have thought. Not
>> that I'm any kind of expert on the matter.

Again you seem to be awfully interested and informed about a sub culture, Are there Goth caravan sites?
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Sep 14 at 21:30
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - legacylad
Did you hear about the Goth haddock?

It worshipped Marlin Manson
I wouldn't totally dismiss becoming a Goth at some point. I can see advantages. Like never having wonder what colour of clothes to wear that day for example. Not sure what else it involves but provided fish and chips are acceptable within their scheme of things it seems harmless enough.

I'd need some Grecian 2000 I suppose. If it were to be done properly.

Are Goths allowed to have Mercs do you think?

>> Are Goths allowed to have Mercs do you think?

Black, and with a coffin in the back.
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - Armel Coussine
>> Are Goths allowed to have Mercs do you think?

When the Monster Raving Loonies campaigned in - 'fought' would be a flattering term - a local election in my old manor, their campaign car was a Cadillac hearse.
 West Herts to Whitby, A1 or M1? - Dave_
>> A1 was a peach, tho there were dire warnings of an accident up near J30 something.

Speak for yourself Z. I got to j35 at 8.30 this morning and was eventually directed off j36 at 10.15...
Heard about that on radio Dave (after vehicles had been trapped I think).
Did it muck up your day? Enough hours on tacho or not?
Latest Forum Posts