Motoring Discussion > Ford - RHD Mustang, anyone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 9

Ford - RHD Mustang, anyone? - WillDeBeest
tinyurl.com/WC-Mustang

Appealing idea, and the review suggests it's nice inside, and that the engineering is approaching mid-1990s European standards.

Not sure it will work for trundling to work every day, though. Perhaps Hertz will get some; could be fun for a weekend away à deux.
 Ford - RHD Mustang, anyone? - Boxsterboy
I can see the attraction (I have a mate who imports old Mustangs form the States, does them up and sells them on), but I can't help but think that American cars only really 'work' in America.
 Ford - RHD Mustang, anyone? - Armel Coussine
>> can't help but think that American cars only really 'work' in America.

I suppose they are happiest on their native heath, where petrol is cheaper than it is here. But the Mustang is quite a compact jalopy, and the days of the really huge cheap American car are in the past - they've all shrunk in recent years, and become a bit less thirsty too.

Even big old lhd ones are viable here (the lhd confers advantages in tight situations) for people who know how to drive and aren't in a tearing hurry. A publican in a small village near here used to have two or three of them in which he wafted unharmed about the lanes. The older I get the more I fancy that sort of car, quiet, comfortable and practical provided you can cope on the road.
 Ford - RHD Mustang, anyone? - Harleyman
Mrs HM ticked off one of her bucket list items a few weekends ago by sitting in a 1967 GT500 Shelby at the Trip Out festival. She has a passion for that era of Mustang, quite likes the newer ones but is highly dismissive on the 1980's/1990's offerings.

I did point out that as she is somewhat vertically challenged, seeing over the edge of the bonnet might be an issue, only to be met with a blank stare and a remark of " If I got my hands on this there wouldn't be anything in front of me anyway".

God help us all if my six numbers come up.
 Ford - RHD Mustang, anyone? - Skoda
Impressive pricing, £29k for the 300bhp 4 pot an the v8 is alleged to be comfortably under £40k.

Doomed to lacklustre sales here, how many emm pee gees has it got? £500 / year road tax? Pah! Mumble mumble, cookie cutter diesel eurobox, groan groan.
 Ford - RHD Mustang, anyone? - ....
Starts at £29k
+£4k for four extra cylinders
+£4k to take the roof off
+£1.5k for self shifter
Is what I've seen.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 26 Sep 14 at 17:34
Roof on for me, and the auto is probably fine.
 Ford - RHD Mustang, anyone? - Alastairw
I suspect Ford are after a share of the Vauxhall Monaro/VXR8 market here. They don't want to sell too many, but it will keep people amused until the new Mondeo eventually arrives here.
>> I suspect Ford are after a share of the Vauxhall Monaro/VXR8 market here.

The Monaro is sure to be the better road burner, although it's very flash in standard trim. Developed by Holden over many years of competition. Got to be good. Those Aussies are rich and practical and they have long distances.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 27 Sep 14 at 18:44
 Ford - RHD Mustang, anyone? - ....
It was the Telegraph where I saw the numbers:

For the 50th anniversary, however, Ford is bringing the latest Mark VI Mustang to Britain in right-hand drive. It lands next spring. A coupé with the 305bhp/300lb ft, 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine and manual six-speed gearbox will cost just less than £30,000. Add £4,000 for the 420bhp/390lb ft 5.0-litre V8, £4,000 for the cabriolet and £1,500 for the six-speed automatic gearbox with paddle shifters. Ford wants to sell more than 1,500 in the UK and 10,000 Mustangs in Europe as a whole; modest targets.
Latest Forum Posts